cjsgrlsx3

My landings suck!

If for some reason you can't take a canopy control class soon (which is a great idea), then learn how to PLF really, really well, and practice. Because if you make falling down your default landing, you can focus on getting the flare down, knowing that if it's not perfect, you're not nearly as likely to hurt yourself. Really.

Notice the numbers at the left. I've been jumping awhile. I fall down whenever I feel like it, which is more often than most of the people I know. For some reason, modern canopies don't come naturally to me all days (and I HAVE taken a canopy class). But by being willing to fall down, I get up each of those times, too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Also, since I am sure you are opening pretty high, practice flaring in the air. Experiment with how you are holding your arms compared to your body. Since those student canopies are usually so big I found it easier to gain more leverage if I bring my arms out a little instead of straight down. I always experiment in the air and try to visualize my landings.

Good luck!

Cassie, Cassie, Cassie...my $.02.

As has already been said and is worth repeating...

You're beating yourself up...stop it!

It appears to me that you are measuring your own progression against those with much more experience. A very discouraging process.

You are not the only one to have landing problems and at 9 jumps...what the hell! You are NOT expected to make perfect tip-toe landings at this point...as a matter of fact, not at ANY point. Posts have already shown you that not even highly experienced jumpers stick every landing.

A mind-set change is in order here. While major concern about landings is highly important, it's also important to not let it overtake your enjoyment of the entire skydive.

May I suggest...Mentally get away from the "oh, shit" and look at it as a learning opportunity. Something like, "YeeHaw! I get another shot at practicing and improving on what I've learned already!"

It's kinda like that old saying about, "whatever your expections are, they will be met."

Believe me, keep at it and you will eventually "get it". And as already has been suggested, a canopy control course will speed that process up dramatically.

Not being too facetious, a little rolling around in the dirt is a good teacher.:D

Now having said all that...learn, learn, learn and practice, practice, practice...with a more positive attitude, eh?
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My advice to you is to not make another skydive until you have completed a comprehensive canopy course.

Rubbish.

Canopy control courses are a great help, but people have been skydiving for a long time without them.
Sentences like the one you just made are way out of proportion.

If you can get a canopy control course, then do by all means, but don't stop jumping if you can't. Ask your instructors for advice and get them to video your landings.

I'm pretty good at landing within 20m of the spot I want to land in. I did a coach jump this Saturday and pointed out where I would land and got within 20m of it. I got within 5 foot of the circle on week.

Then again, there have been probably 6 times that I landed in the tall grass on our huge 800 acre DZ (within the triangle).

Landings though -- those have been funny. This weekend I put in two jumps. The first jump I came in a little too fast and when I hit the ground I was still moving forward pretty quickly. I end up falling forward and belly sliding. The second jump I landed on my feet with no problem. I've not had too many landings where I did something other than land and then fall over to my knees.

Takes practice just like anything else. I'd suggest you ask questions at your DZ in any case.

Scott Miller's course is up in a few months. I'm on the list for that one.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Cassie,
Along with everyone saying that you shouldnt be too hard on yourself, I think you are smarter than most.

You reaized that there was a problem, and you took it seriously enough to ask for help. You had the smarts to ask for advice. You are above the curve in intelligence.

I know some disagree with my advice of not jumping before canopy school. Can you do a flat turn at 50 ft to avoid something? I dont think so. And, If you are scared on every jump, why waste the tickets. I guarantee landing will become enjoyable shortly after the class. Can you jump 10 more times safely before the class? Probably. 100 times - likely but every jump without the ability to fly your canopy is a risk.

Its like anything, you have to analyze the risk yourself based on what you know and the advice you use to take from others. I gave you specific reasons why an immediate class is a good idea, it is not hogwash advice.