cacrinklaw

Winter skydiving in midwest

I started jumping in Michigan on Sept 8th 1967 Last month and Februrary of 2006, plus one time around 1984. Those were the only times I didnt make a jump in every month of every year for 36 of almost 40 years in the sport. I wore shoes one time for a demo jump into MIS Nascar track, otherwise wearing Tevas the rest of the time all year for 18 years.I have pictures landing on frozen lakes and such. Its always fun going to a bar before Super Bowl to see drunk guys on their 4th football game not knowing who is playing any more making comments. "Hey Bill remember when the son of a bitch threw the ball the other guy and those bastards intercepted. Naw John what game was that in. Im not sure but you have to remember it dont you " Have burger and a few beers, do my log book then drive home before they leave with a grin glad I am not living their life . I posted a comment about jumping at minus 20 for a winter carnival. We were supposed to jump all day for free food and beer etc. We went inside to pack and 13 pitchers later they decided we didnt quite fill our obligation and had to leave. It took forever to pre-heat then warm the engine than the trip to the DZ.

Just bored sitting home looking at the Nebraska snow. Too cold to get enough jumpers to go to the DZ. I guess I'm better off than those in the northeastern parts of the US

Just so you know how cold it really is. Jimmy Coinner the midwest freefly legend DID NOT make a skydive this weekend. When the former "load hog" does not make a jump you know it's just to crappy.
Hope that this helps you feel better.
www.greenboxphotography.com

We were talking about this today (at the DZ when the Wisconsin weather wouldn't let us jump again this weekend). I used to DETEST living in Wisconsin in the winter. I hated the cold and wanted to hibernate indoors for 6 months. Skydiving saved me from that. The fact that I can jump makes winter bearable, if not almost acceptable. Looking forward to the next weekend is much easier than waiting for spring.

Now if I can just get at least one in this month I'll be happy.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I'm just 50 miles south of you in Wamego KS - we were jumping last weekend & we could bearly get the stupid airplane to start! Fair weather jumpers - HA!! The students are out first every weekend but there aren't many instructors man enough to take em up!! Screw the cold & go jump! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA [/crazy laugh]
=========Shaun ==========

Hey Lucky Chuck it has been cold here as well. I have not made a jump since the Holiday Boogie.

I hate the cold. Good thing I am going to the Freefly Money Meet with Joe and ChAzi here in a couple of weeks! Hope to jump with you when it warms up a little.

Jimmy

You could always move down here. The DZ's aren't as much fun, but the weather is awesome!

:D:D
You may be able to say that for AZ but you can't say it for GA or FL.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

well said Erika. I have never been one who loves the winter jumps, but it has never slowed me down any.

Ditto

I only started last April so this is my first winter jumping. Coldest jump yet was the heli jump where it was about 8F on the ground and we had to ride to altitude with the doors open/off. All good until my Factory Diver shield iced up (not fogged, ICED). It's going to make spring/summer that much sweeter this year!!!!

You are obviously jumping at a different SDA than I am

I've been to DZ's all over the country few/none of them can compete with the aircraft and weather that SDAZ has, but SDAZ is FAR from being the funnest DZ that I've visited.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

I keep getting told that I don't have enough jumps, am too young, and haven't been in the sport long enough to not enjoy jumping in the cold. The only thing I have to say about that is FUCK THAT. I don't like being cold. I will jump but I don't like it. Not one bit.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I keep getting told that I don't have enough jumps, am too young, and haven't been in the sport long enough to not enjoy jumping in the cold. The only thing I have to say about that is FUCK THAT. I don't like being cold. I will jump but I don't like it. Not one bit.

Jumping in the cold is like sleeping with a fat ugly chick. You may not like it, hell you might even make the same face. But it gets you through the hard times until something better comes along.
There is a fine line between being a hopeless romantic and a stalker