Inthebuff

Hard 90 Off Heading Opening on my Sabre 2

I know this has been covered in previous threads so soz folks for bringing this up again but if anyone wants to direct me to those threads please do.

Jumped my sabre 2 190 ( First Rig :)Call me Mr softee but it did wrench my lower back and I can still feel it two days later.
My body position was good on throwing out the pilot chute having finished a flat track 10 seconds earlier.
I have read in previous threads that some sabre 2's can regularly open off heading so I just want to know if I can expect this every time.
Could this be a bad pack job,a suspect canopy or is a characteristic of a Sabre 2 ?

I have previously jumped a sabre 2 210 about 30 times and never had a problem
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.

I dont have any jumps on Sabre 2s but quite a few on Sabre 1.
There are sooo many factors that can influence the opening sequence
From body position, to length of line stow. Did you jump the canopy again?
How many jumps do you have on this canopy? All in this container?
Are you SURE you waited 10 seconds AFTER tracking?
Are you sure your knees were square throughout the depoyment process?

Sometimes youre going to have an odd opening. Lord knows I used to wear myself out packing meticulously to have great openings, and I still had the occasional wierd one.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I have a sabre 2 170 and I've only had one hard opening (which I packed so no one else to blame).

I know the original sabres could spank people but everyone I know has only had soft snivley openings on the sabre 2's but expect to get end cell closures and off heading openings being a regular event.

Hopefully you'll be fine next time.

Perfect openings every time on my SabreII...

I always have on heading openings and closed end cells.

But I have been a professional packer for 2 years now...

I wouldn't trade my SabreII for anything.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Hi There

I have owned a Sabre2 170 for the past year, have made 130 jumps on it. I have also experienced off heading openings on it, but lately I don't push the nose into the pack anymore, and haven't had them again. Leave the nose out as much as you can, just roll the tail over it, see what happens. Still getting end cell closure without fail on every jump, but that's minor. Just make sure that your bungees on your D-bag are Ok, you don't want one of them to snap causing line dump and then have an off heading opening:oWind up like an elastic band;) Try the nose thing. overall, it's a fantastic canopy

I have a sabre2 170 which i bought with reportably 300 jumps on it and have put 100+ on it since and have had a few opening like you have described. I had a PD rep. show me how she packs and i haven't had a problem since.

I pack it the way their manual says and don't push the nose back into the pack job and have a little more slider pulled outward and have beautiful openings. I just had it relined so i am eager to jump it!! Damn Canadian winters!! Arizona, i'll see you in March.

All in all i am very happy with the canopy, and this input is just my opinion.

Blue Ones!!
D

I purchased a new Sabre2 190 a few weeks ago and only have a few jumps on it. I read the directions for packing provided by PD. It calls for rolling the nose. I haven't had any off headings or hard openings thus far. I jumped a Hornet 190 and had several hard openings and off headings, but I just shoved the nose (didn't have the instructions from PISA).

I am not a very experienced jumper but I have 23 jumps on a Sabre 2 230 from my student jumps. I've had one hard (relatively) opening and on the topic of heading, what I normally notice is that my canopy opens on heading, snivels and then turns around as the end cells inflate. I asked some experienced people at my DZ about it and they asked me to watch the canopy as it inflates. Sure enough, almost always the left end cells inflate first and then the right end cells thus causing a turn. As soon as I pump the toggles the canopy stabilizes and maintains heading. These were all flat packed by the DZ packer.

The way I deal with the nose is, fold the four cells on both sides of the center cell in and next to the center cell. I do not fold the cells into the center cells. I leave the center cell alone. No folds, rolls or oragami! I roll the tail about 3-times. I have packed my own Sabre-1, the same way and get great openings and no end cell closures.

Chuck

all of my jumps off of student status have been on various size sabre2's. neatly flake, dont roll the nose, dont push the nose into the packjob, dont touch the nose at all, roll the tail nicely, thats it. ive been a professional packer for 3 years and i dont have any problems nor have i ever had any complaints from folks who jump the sabre2. just my two cents. good luck.

Thanks folks for all the advice.
Lots of possible causes.
Taking all the info onboard,especially the packing tips ;)
Hopefully jumping the weekend,British weather permitting
I'll update the thread.

Cheers & Blue Skies

I have ~700 jumps on my sabre2 and my openings are pretty much just like what sraja described. Although mine are almost always soft (I've had 2 pretty hard openings, both recently). Out of trim and needs new lines at this point, but it's always opened off heading no matter how I pack it. Snivels straight and right when I'm thinking "hey, on heading!" it whips around to one side or the other... 90 to 360 degrees or more. Had a PD rep pack it for me and it still gave me about a 270 on opening. Can't wait to see how it flies after a reline.

And don't blame body position... you were one of my AFF instructors! :P

Dave

24 junps is not enoght to even give an opinion.

Um, yes it is. May not be the most "reliable" opinion compared to more experienced jumpers, but it is still an opinion, right?

I would be more concerned with the opinions of the people who think a Sabre2 is an appropriate student canopy, but that's just my...opinion. To each their own. :)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

I asked some experienced people at my DZ about it and they asked me to watch the canopy as it inflates.

And don't watch your canopy inflating. If you're turning your head then you lose your body position and you could injure your neck if it opens hard. If you're looking up then you could injure your neck if it opens hard.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I have ~400 jumps on Sabre 2 170 and 150, both pretty significantly out of trim. Not a single hard opening. Some a little less comfortable than others because I didn't completely flare out of my track (you remember to do that, right?), but none hard. I do nothing to the nose and just quarter the slider well, and open with good body position. I'd say 50% are off heading 90-180 degrees, the other half are more or less on heading.

Yeah I had at least 600 jumps on my sabre2 before my first hard opening (which was packed by a packer). Tracking wasn't a factor because I pulled in place after shooting a video. Second one might not have been so bad but I had my camera helmet on with my still camera. My chin hit my chest and I think I bruised my sternum. Might not have felt so bad if I wasn't wearing the cameras or if I had prepared for it. I just don't expect hard openings after so many soft ones.

Dave

Were you jumping naked? That might affect your fall rate and what you consider to be a comfortable opening :D
Not on this occasion but I did a two way once.
It was absoloutely wicked.
I just made extra sure I grabbed the risers on opening to absorb the shock [:/]