Akey

Buying a US rig second hand

Is it worth flying over to the US to buy a second hand rig to save money? I.E- After the exchange rate to US dollers (1.8 to 1 for the pound) + travel expenses, would i be getting better off value for money? I can only really aford £1400 ($2520)) so would i be better off just buying in sunny england? I konw that it is worth it for new rigs, but what about second hand?

Why fly over? Buy it from one of the many sources of used rigs that are avail via the web. Not every one will sell over seas, but if what your looking for is mainstream, you should be able to find what you want from someone willing to sell across the pond.

Blue Skies
Doug

I should just point out to you that you are not legally allowed to bring more than £250 worth of goods back into the UK without making the declaration at customs and paying import duty. (about 20% I think).

Of course many people do bring high value goods back into the UK without declaring it, but customs will not be very happy (and neither will you) if you are caught.

Thought I should inform you of the responsible and legal way of importing goods (not that I know of anyone who has ever done it in the slightly less legal way).

Blue skies

Paul

Being on the subject of US purchase for EU destination. Is there a tax refund service in the US for new stuff that you take to EU or any other non US country. EU has had this service in place for as long as I remember, so it would seem rather strange if US does not.

I believe that the US does refund taxes paid if the goods are to be taken out of the US (receipt and passport required and it is a long winded process).

However if it is just a 2nd hand sale of goods then you will not be paying tax unless you go through a dealer, so there will be nothing to be refunded to you.

I have heard that, on occasion some skydivers (and non-skydivers too I'm sure) bring goods back to the EU without declaring them on arrival and therefore avoid import duty. This is not legal, but does happen. After all how do the customs people know if that 2nd hand rig is one you took out with you, or one you brought over there?

Blue skies

Paul

Being on the subject of US purchase for EU destination. Is there a tax refund service in the US for new stuff that you take to EU or any other non US country.

No because the US has no national sales and use tax. Individual states, special taxation districts (such as those paying for profesional sports stadiums), counties, and cities vary with total taxes that usually run somewhere between 0 and 10%. Most businesses do not charge sales tax on out of state shipments; although citizens are usually supposed to report their out of state purchases and remit taxes on them. I'm not aware of any jurisdictions which offer refunds.

EU has had this service in place for as long as I remember, so it would seem rather strange if US does not.

Countries within the EU all seem to have high VATs.

$50to $65 is the going rate for a reserve inspect and repack.
$20 to $30 to inspect a main canopy.
Expect to pay $100 by the time the rigger has done a few minor repairs.
Purchasing used parachutes is the same as purchasing used automobiles. No money changes hands until after a rigger/mechanic/technician has done a thorough inspection.

Thank you Drew.
So, not only does US have petrol products that are dirt cheap, you also have 0 to 10 % VAT compared to our 20?????

Right, although states which have lower taxes in one area often make it up in other ways. New Hampshire has no general state sales or income taxes; although they do have an 8.5% business tax. Washington State has no state income tax although we do have a 6.5% state sales tax and in Seattle local taxes push the total to 9%. Colorado splits the difference with 4.6% income and 2.9% sales taxes....

:S
No wonder everybody wants in!
;)

Just because it sucks less here doesn't mean its good.

Prior to 1913 America had no national income tax and one was introduced on "rich" people. The first $3000 ($57,000 in 2005 dollars) for single people and $4000 ($76000) for married couples was exempt. The lowest marginal rate was 1%. The top marginal rate on incomes over $500000 ($9554000) was a whopping 7%.

Unfortunately federal spending increased over 14,000% beyond inflation....

Thank you Paul. I overlooked your post the first time around.
Do you have any more details on how it is actually done? I don't mind a long and windy road.

Trying to outsmart the customs has become a sport in itself. With almost 40% on top (custom duty and the VAT) it is hard to resist not to try.