hayinseattle

Urgent question - Lasik Eye Surgery & skydiving

Hi all,

I am doing a skydive in a couple of hours !! and was not worried about it until someone mentioned the fact I had had lasik eye surgery on both eyes and there may be problems with the altitude/pressure/wind, even though I'd be wearing goggles. I was seeking some reassurance that it would be ok before jumping!

I had my surgery in Feb 2005 (4 & half years ago) and have had no problems. I was told at the time that I could skydive after 6 months but they hesitated over how high.

I am wondering if it is safe to jump from 14,000ft which is what I would be doing today?

Also does anyone know what the liklihood is of losing your goggles mid flight?

Any advice gratefully received, thank you :-)

xx

Do your search.

I had my surgery in Feb 2005 (4 & half years ago) and have had no problems. I was told at the time that I could skydive after 6 months but they hesitated over how high.

Sure, just remeber you got a cut on your eye which never ever going to be heal.

I think if you take advice on this from anyone other than an optometrist or an ophthalmologist, you're making a foolish mistake.

Personal and/or anecdotal experience, and professional expertise, are two different things. So are raw data and expert advice. Those instructors may have expertise in skydiving; but in optometry or ophthalmology, they have nothing more than personal and anecdotal experience. In other words, in this context, they're laymen. Sure, you can get their stories - for what they may or may not be worth as raw data. But for actual advice, ask someone you address as "Doctor".

Thank you both. I have been researching online and have spoken to the skydive center. They have 2 instructors who have both had lasik recently and have been jumping from 14,000ft fine so a feel reassured. I know it is my decision to take!
Can't wait!

I had RK back b4 lasers, when they cut ya with a broken ashtray...I would recommend you wear tight fitting, good sealing goggles.

For me it was wind not pressure that was painful.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi all

Thanks for the comments and advice - I did the skydive this evening - we went from 13,500 feet which was the highest altituse. It was GREAT! I wore goggles. The instructor grabbed them and took them off me half way down without asking me first!!!! which completely freaked me out when I'd told the skydive center I'd had lasik and was worried etc, but actually when he did it was after the freefall part and it didn't hurt or anything and was actually more comfortable and could see better etc - but I was still paranoid and told him and put them back on (well he had to as they were behind my head by then!!). He was really nice to me about it but when my friends went to collect the video dvd they said he was taking the mickey about me freaking out about my eyes, all good humour but he was missing the point a little that it actually was quite a serious thing, to me at least if not to him and I really think he should have asked me before pulling them off withouyt warning, especially when I had specifically said to the center that I was not nervous at all about skydive itself (done before), just nervous about my eyes...and no regard was given to that at all...

So I would definitely say to anyone out there that is in the same positiona as me and a little nervous, it seems fine but I would just tell your individual tandem instructor about your fears before you go up so that doesn't happen to you. It clearly was not a problem and my eyes are fine, it was more the 'freakout' factor when it happened without warning, was having a great skydive then I got all worried about that as was not expecting him to grab off my glasses!!!!!!! especially without warning!!!

But all was fine :-)

I'd still go again, was AWESOME!! lol xxx

Under canopy it's fine if you take them off, in freefall not however: for me I'd stay in the plane if I had no goggles, too worried about my eyes (Lasik never heals 100%) and can't see much then anyway. Fortunately for me the one time my goggles broke in the plane and there were no spares around, the TM I was videoing was kind enough to give me hers, she jumped without.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I had Lasik and was jumping a few weeks later. Asked the doctor specifically about skydiving and he said "no" risk....not "little" risk nut NO risk. I would not worry about it in the least. You should just be worrying about enjoying your jump.

Blues Skies

Your doctor either doesn't know skydiving or doesn't know LASIK, then. I won't get LASIK specifically because of skydiving. Do a search for my name and LASIK and you'll find a ton of posts on it. Definitely not NO risk.

PRK is a great match with skydiving, LASIK... not so much.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I wore goggles. The instructor grabbed them and took them off me half way down without asking me first!!!! which completely freaked me out when I'd told the skydive center I'd had lasik and was worried etc,

Unbelievable.
People who wonder what kind of act of negligence in which a signed waiver would not shield as DZ from getting bitten on the ass need read no further than this for a good example.

Also does anyone know what the liklihood is of losing your goggles mid flight?

It depends upon the likelihood of an instructor taking them off your face in canopy flight without discussing it with you first, after you'd specifically advised the DZ that you'd had Lasik and were worried about that issue.

The instructor grabbed them and took them off me half way down without asking me first!!!! which completely freaked me out when I'd told the skydive center I'd had lasik and was worried etc, but actually when he did it was after the freefall part and it didn't hurt or anything and was actually more comfortable and could see better etc - but I was still paranoid and told him and put them back on (well he had to as they were behind my head by then!!).

Frankly, if you were this concerned about it, you shouldn't have been jumping. Goggles can come off or at least off the eyes at FF speeds.

Under canopy the speed is not unlike a windy day (< 30mph), and bicyclists deal with much more, as well as much more dust.

Yes, definitely tell your TM any concerns. The people in manifest have a lot going on - they should have directed you to raise it instead. But perhaps then the TM would wisely tell you to come back next month.

I am doing a skydive in a couple of hours !!

Congratulations on your skydive. I hope you come back for more, and become a regular part of the sport.

If you do, from time to time you'll have other safety-related questions. Next time you have such a question, seek out expert advice far enough in advance that there will be enough time for you to receive expert answers before you jump.

here was a vid during my second tandem last year of my goggles coming off, didn't come of completely so slid them back on..

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=15869942

If you wanna skip right to the freefall part goto ~2:40
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

you should have clarified that the TI removed your goggles under CANOPY, not freefall. No biggie, but he shouldnt have done it without asking. As for all the lasik scare stories,,,,,,,,,,, many many jumpers have had lasik...... many have contacts... with goggles....... it is NO BIG DEAL. ( if your goggles should break, squint really tight and get where you can safely pull... my friends have done it, I have never had to.)

LASIK and PRK are approved for Canadian Commercial pilots.

The only additional variable for skydivers is wind.
Freefall velocities can cause profuse crying, after opening the wind is the same speed as bicycling.

Umm, I've never seen an aircraft pilot faceplant the cessna step on a bad exit. I wasn't aware that aircraft pilots engaged in full contact RW in the cockpit. There are a lot of variables that jumpers experience that pilots do not. Cracks to the face happen, not a lot, but they do happen in skydiving. Wind is much less a problem than some of the other factors that can happen.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda