dimbohall

I've been waiting 2 months now to get my cypress back after 8 year check?

Hi all,

This is very frustrating because I live in Spain and it is a great time of jear to jump here. I haven't got hundreds of jumps and like to keep current (without renting gear, and therefore doing half the no. of jumps). 2 months (and still waiting) seems pretty excesive to me!!!!!! Anyone disagree?

Hi all,

This is very frustrating because I live in Spain and it is a great time of jear to jump here. I haven't got hundreds of jumps and like to keep current (without renting gear, and therefore doing half the no. of jumps). 2 months (and still waiting) seems pretty excesive to me!!!!!! Anyone disagree?

Have you called them and asked them why it is taking so long? If so, what did they say?

That would be my first step.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thats odd. Every one that I sent to SSK has been back in my hands within 2 and a half weeks after sending it. The only time it should take longer is in the early spring when all the jumpers decide they want it done or if there is something wrong and it has to go back to Germany for Airtec to examine it. Airtec typically examines all units in the US that are outside the expected parameters and resolves the issue and then returns them to the customer.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, man....makes you wonder. My 8 year wasn't so long...just over 2 months but the 4 year, took over 4 months to come back. Something to consider, when it comes time to replace it. I'm looking at other options.

Something else to consider is that your unit did not have any problems, it ran through its self check OK, right?

Assuming the extra time required is because the unit failed the testing at the factory, that tells me the extensive testing done during the 4/8 year checks is extremely valuable.

I don't think it is possible for any self test to uncover problems that only occur when tested at the environmental extremes (temp/vibration).

It is easy to think that you'd be better off (certainly less inconvenience) with a unit that doesn't need the factory checks, but that would also mean you're likely to be jumping a unit that isn't what it should be.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yep...mine went to Ohio, I'm in NW PA...like a 200-300 mile trip! I was TOLD that the lab had it but it very well could have layed around the DZ for a few weeks or even months, before or after. Stuff happens. I know when I dropped it off and when they called me, to say it was back....aside from that, who knows? The longest delay....it was later spring, like the end of April and though you'd think the "rush" season would likely be over, I might have hit it at a busy time. Obviously, it's best to get it in waaaaay early...just to be safe.

BTW...no discrepancies, repairs or adjustments noted, on the receipt...apparently checked out ok.

"T'was ever thus."

Send it in yourself next time. That or tell your rigger to use their electronic tracking system that will send out emails when they recieve it and when they ship it back to you. Great way to see if your rigger is just sitting on it and not doing anything or if its an SSK/Airtec issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You could do a jump without a cypress..

I had my cypress end up going back to Germany once and it took about 6-8 weeks. So that doesn't seem too excessive to me. But, I'm my own rigger, so the fact that I was the one that shipped it off and was the one to receive it probably reduced some of the total time that you may experience.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Send it in yourself next time. That or tell your rigger to use their electronic tracking system that will send out emails when they recieve it and when they ship it back to you. Great way to see if your rigger is just sitting on it and not doing anything or if its an SSK/Airtec issue.

Quite right!

Their tracking system is a very basic (no extra/useless bling) type of communication. It was very nice to have confirmation of delivery, anticipated completion and return shipping dates.

They took exactly 2 weeks to process my unit at SSK (exactly what their website says is normal), and that was in March. If wonder if the German facility is as good at meeting the needs of that 'sphere?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Assuming the extra time required is because the unit failed the testing at the factory, that tells me the extensive testing done during the 4/8 year checks is extremely valuable.

Or you could assume that the cypres doesn't have a valid self test... If you assume this much, you can also assume the unit failed at the 8 years check, so it was unsafe to jump the previous months and it's self check didn't notice...

All assumptions, all BS....
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Or you could assume that the cypres doesn't have a valid self test... If you assume this much, you can also assume the unit failed at the 8 years check, so it was unsafe to jump the previous months and it's self check didn't notice...

All assumptions, all BS....

What is definitely BS is that some people now think that the lack of checks for some AADs is a good thing.

I think it is absolutely impossible for ANY power-up self test procedure to detect problems with an electronic device that would only occur when that device is subjected to environmental extremes. I think that is true whether it is a Cypres, Vigil, Argus or whatever. I think the self test cannot determine the ability of the unit to accurately measure altitude. The unit can certainly determine that different aspects of the electronics are alive and able to respond to input, but it cannot replicate an environmental or altitude chamber.

The important point is that we should acknowledge that the self check is not enough, and that it is wise to have scheduled calibrations to increase the reliability and accuracy of them. A crude altitude chamber of the sort used to test FXCs does not even come close to replicating the ability for the factory to precisely check compliance with all of the original specifications, and does not at all adress performance at environmental extremes.

Be prepared for these sort of delays. I spent the summer without mine. Had it pulled after a Memorial Day Boogie. I shipped it out June 10th for its 8 year check, SSK received it on the 16th and I next saw it again two days before Labor Day. Around August 15th SSK finally said,"Yeh we should have given you a free loaner." A little late to come up with that observation. I did get them to pay for the return shipping. It didn't flunk anything but showed a potential fault in the extreme cold testing, they sent it to Germany where it spent the entire summer. Read what they sent me below. i like the part where they let me know there is no additional charge for this ( I paid 240.00 total) and that they had to "age" the new parts after they installed them.
=================================
DATE RECEIVED AT SSK: 06/16/2006

SHIP VIA: UPS 3-Day Select

SSK RE-39046 CYPRES S/N 5140A3625BC722 3O DOM 04/98 E1F
Maintenance: YES Battery: YES

NOTICE: As a result of testing and data analysis performed
at SSK, it was necessary to ship this unit to Airtec in
Germany on 06/26/2006, as the repairs or updates to prepare
this CYPRES for the next four years of use were too
extensive to be performed here. Although this CYPRES
presently performs properly, some parameters were outside
Airtec's stringent limits during extreme condition testing.

Airtec attempts to complete the work as soon as possible,
however, as artificial aging on new components is required,
as well as a repeat of all stress and calibration tests,
(plus shipping to/from Germany), expect a 4-6 week delay in
return date.

There is no additional cost for this additional service, it
is simply part of the maintenance system that helps ensure
reliable operation until the next scheduled date.

Thank you for your understanding, and sorry for the delay.

NEW: To track the status of your CYPRES, log into our new
CYPRES Service Tracking System: www.CYPRES-USA.com/track

The 4 to 6 week return date (from when they received it in Germany )turned into 8 weeks plus. Alls well that ends well, just wish they didn't charge 2 dollars a day for loaners. I called everyweek to check on it and they never had definative answers just that their shipments from Germany arrive once a week, call back in a week.
A mile of highway can take you a mile
But a mile of Runway can take you anywhere!

Blue Sky Traveler

lack of checks for some AADs

I know of 3 mainstream 2nd/ 3rd generations AAD's. (not counting the Mars as mainstream).

1) Argus mandatory field checks.
2) Cypres Mandatory factory checks.
3) Vigil, optional factory checks.

Which AAD doesn't have calibration checks, outside the self test?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

lack of checks for some AADs

I know of 3 mainstream 2nd/ 3rd generations AAD's. (not counting the Mars as mainstream).

1) Argus mandatory field checks.
2) Cypres Mandatory factory checks.
3) Vigil, optional factory checks.

Which AAD doesn't have calibration checks, outside the self test?

The mandatory field check for the argus is no more than what an FXC would get, correct? As I said in my earlier post, that is not even close to confirming that it meets the original performance specifications.

The Vigil's checks are optional. Last time I looked at their website, they gave no indication of how detailed/extensive their check would be. I think it is fair to assume that it is an FXC type of test, no environmental testing, and no precise testing to confirm that the unit fires/no fires at the margins of the performance parameters (one test done in a chamber with crude measurment devices doesn't confirm all performance specifications). Of course I could be wrong, do you have some info to indicate how the optional Vigil check is accomplished?

You could do a jump without a cypress..

not in Spain, AAD's are mandatory...

Hey Dimbohall, did you check Kai's post ? He's awesome and wiill get you a QUICK reply.

Kai if you read me, Hi to all at Airtec.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I think it is absolutely impossible for ANY power-up self test procedure to detect problems with an electronic device that would only occur when that device is subjected to environmental extremes.

In theory AADs can perform self tests the whole time they are turned on and are exposed to "environmental extremes", not just during power-up. How it works in practice, I have no idea about since I've never seen the design of any AAD.

I see a value in a proper factory test, but that should IMHO only be used to make sure the self tests are working and update those procedures.
If the AAD is damaged, and the self tests don't notice, the device will be useless until the factory takes a look at it. Up to four years later.
So if the choice was between a factory test every forth year and good self-diagnostics, I rather take the later. Fortunally one doesn't have to make that choice.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. As you can see below, Kai from Airtec offered to find out what was going on. I gave hime the serial number, and he emailed me back immediately with the information. Actually the turnaround was only 2 weeks. It was sent to target airsports in the UK instead of Spain.

GOOD WORK AIRTEC. WELL DONE ON YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE. THANKS KAI FOR SORTING THIS OUT FOR ME.

What pisses me off is that I have been hassling skydive spain for 6 weeks asking when it will be ready. WHY DID THEY NOT GET IN CONTACT WITH AIRTEC TO FIND OUT WHAT THE DELAY WAS ABOUT. THEY COULD HAVE CLEARED THE MATTER UP INSTANTLY WEEKS AGO!!!!!

Hi Travis,

"Aging" is a process to bring parts into a most stable condition. It's treating components over a longer time f.e. in a wide temperature bandwith. The intention is testing and to provoke (hidden)failures before the parts are used in production. When a unit is completely mounted, it goes again through an "Aging" process. It's to avoid the early failures which are typically for the so called bathtub curve
The factory maintenance is a very effective tool to keep a Cypres at the bottom of this curve as long as possible and reasonable.

Regards,

Kai

That makes sense...

When I first saw "aging" - it sounded like you wanted the new components to have the same cycles of use as the old components... As if the error tolerances with age had to line up or something....

Now I understand you are just basically "stress testing" or "breaking in" all the new parts to make sure they were not defective...

Hi Travis,

"Aging" is a process to bring parts into a most stable condition. It's treating components over a longer time f.e. in a wide temperature bandwith. The intention is testing and to provoke (hidden)failures before the parts are used in production. When a unit is completely mounted, it goes again through an "Aging" process. It's to avoid the early failures which are typically for the so called bathtub curve
The factory maintenance is a very effective tool to keep a Cypres at the bottom of this curve as long as possible and reasonable.

Regards,

Kai

Sounds like the standard "burn-in" that many IT shops do before giving computers out to end-users. If its going to blowup, it will in the first x-hours or not until its OLD.

JW
Rigger and IS/IT guy
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...