Spizzzarko

New PD reserve questions and hopefully answers thread. READ THIS THREAD!

I totally agree with Spizzzarko's review. I demoed a 126 (WL 1.55) and it flew like a sport canopy. There was no wind when I was jumping and the surf from a 90 degree turn was amazing. My second landing was a DEEP toggle approach, it felt as though I could land it like that with an easy PLF. The canopy recovered quickly when the toggles were let up and still had a lot of flare while still surging a bit.

Awesome reserve!

Karl Eakins
Team Flew-id Freestyle

OK sorry it's taken so long to post but here's a few pics of the Optima 143 in 2 different Racers the first was a 300 c.i. Power Racer it was an extremely tight fit but it worked. I wouldn't reccommend it unless you hate your rigger. I've seen a 108 sq. ft. Micro raven properly fit into a rig of the same size. (and by properly I mean following the manufacturer's suggestion for canopy size) It can be done but the rig would feel like a brick on your back. The second is a 325 c.i. Thinline Racer. The fit was much better though still a bit tight. With some more time to pack it and make it a bit neater (this packjob only took me about 45 min.) and a new quick loop so I could tighten the pilot chute down properly, this would be a much better fit. This container was built for a canopy in the 126 sq. ft. size range. I haven't had a chance to talk to the PD reps since I gave it back but wanted to find out:

1. This one is set up as a Main, I'm asuming that the reserve will come without a PCA meaning less tape and reinforcement of the center cell because you will not be attaching a d-bag and PC to the top of the canopy. Less tape and reinforcement, less bulk!

I also uploaded a video of the deployment to Skydiving Movies.com Here's the link
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

:S I like my rigger, she works for Jump Shack (reason for ease of access to Racers to pack this canopy into) and about 27 1/2 year ago she gave birth to me. And oh BTW I pack all my own reserves under her supervision.;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Just put four test jumps on an Optimum 143 during a camp this weekend. All openings (at terminal) were firm, but not that painful - I had harder openings on my old Sabre 1. Canopy flew great, and swooped better than my Pilot 150. I couldn't stall it in even deep brakes; I didn't bother taking wraps because I'll likely never fly it like that. Flare was similar to a Triathalon with a bit more bottom-end flare.

The bag went in the main container of my Talon T1 with no problems; I can fit up to a 120 in there normally.

Hi ian,

You will NOT get any info on canopy volumes from PD.

About 15 months ago I had an over-hour-long telephone conversation with John LeBlanc (who I consider one of the friendliest people in the business) and he would not give any info on their pack volumes.

If you don't believe me on PD's position on this issue, give'm a call and see what they say.

If they give you some info I would like to know what it might be.

Jerry

>If you don't believe me on PD's position on this issue, give'm a call and see what they say.

I spoke to Kolla at PIA and she was quite helpful in this regard. She didn't give me XX cubic inches, but told me what the Optimum 143 would fit in based on what other reserves fit in the same container. (I don't believe in the XX cubic inch thing; four different testers will get four different results.)

You will have to ask container manufacturers for pack volumes.
The reason for that is that volume numbers - from canopy manufacturers - were discredited a decade ago.
So many different canopy manufactures used so many different measuring methods (different diameters of cylinders, different temperatures, different humidity, etc.), that the end data was gibberish/confusing/useless.
Instead, container manufacturers - like Rigging Innovations - started compiling their own volume data. Many times, Sandy Reid would hand me a new canopy and ask me "How does this fit in a Talon size X?" As I started packing the new canopy into a container, Sandy would start stuffing the next new canopy into his official PIA volume testing cylinder.