snowdude1

Sabre 2 vs Pilot

The Pilot and Slihouette are prime examples.

They are not the same. I'd say Slihouette and Merit.

Not the same, but both perfectly good examples of canopies where ZP and F1-11 have been mated to give a canopy certain qualities. I think that this is the point being made.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I can't meet your comparison exactly... but I can get you close. I have three rigs I jump. Mostly I jump a Sabre I 170 and a Pilot 168. Sometimes I throw in the third canopy which is a Space (Alpha) 170. I load them at about a 1.3. I often jump the Pilot and Sabre back to back... My preference is the Pilot, but they are both great... so it depends on what you want out of it.
The Pilot opens a little "sniveley" for me. I'm an old head and like positive openings... I've never had what the wimps call a hard opening on a Sabre... If you still have your shoes on, it wasn't hard!
On no wind days the Pilot deffinately gives softer landings... the Sabre is a bit faster where they flatten out. Also, the Pilot seems less affected by thermals, or at least its smoother on the bumpy days. Both give me a strong flair, you just have to work it 'till you have the feel for it...
I don't get on here much... if you have any direct quetions, feel free to e-mail...
  • Like 1

Hey Aerodyne! The Pilot is an awesome Mid-Range Canopy! The openings are the softest (and SMOOTHEST) I have ever experienced. The smoothness factor is a big deal...some other slow opening canopies seem to snivel...snivel...snivel and then open rather quickly once the slider takes off down the lines. The Pilot seems to have a really progressive opening that is like no other.

I demo'd all of the likely suspects and decided the Pilot was the best mid-range canopy available...but alas, I bought a Safire because I got a smoking deal on a lightly used one.

The Sabre 2 had swoopier landings and more off-heading openings...but was still very similar to the Pilot.

One word of advice....PLEASE...make a deal with Gelvenor to get their old style ZP back on your canopies! I have a 1998 Triathlon in my Wingsuit rig that I am going to hate to give up one day when it finally wears out! I love that fabric...it almost packs itself.

I am serious! I think offering the old style Gelvenor ZP could really boost your sales! Particularly for Tri's and Pilots (i.e. newer jumpers/packers) I have never heard anyone (regardless of experience) who has had a canopy made with that material that did not absolutely love it. I am certain that had the Pilot been offered in that fabric...I would have bought one in a heart beat! It is a joy to pack my Tri (and so easy to put in the bag with perfect S-Folds) and an absolute pain to pack my slippery as snot Safire!

Offering the old style Gelvenor ZP could be a huge competitive advantage! Thing about it;)

- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

One word of advice....PLEASE...make a deal with Gelvenor to get their old style ZP back on your canopies! I have a 1998 Triathlon in my Wingsuit rig that I am going to hate to give up one day when it finally wears out! I love that fabric...it almost packs itself.

I am serious! I think offering the old style Gelvenor ZP could really boost your sales! Particularly for Tri's and Pilots (i.e. newer jumpers/packers) I have never heard anyone (regardless of experience) who has had a canopy made with that material that did not absolutely love it. I am certain that had the Pilot been offered in that fabric...I would have bought one in a heart beat! It is a joy to pack my Tri (and so easy to put in the bag with perfect S-Folds) and an absolute pain to pack my slippery as snot Safire!

Offering the old style Gelvenor ZP could be a huge competitive advantage! Thing about itWink

That fabric in question is not in production anymore. What is your next move , Sir? B|

That fabric in question is not in production anymore. What is your next move , Sir? B|

My next move is to direct your eye's toward the first sentence of my post:

"One word of advice....PLEASE...make a deal with Gelvenor to get their old style ZP back on your canopies!"

It might be out of production at the current time. However, it was made before, and it can be made again.

It's called capitalism, sir. If there is a market for it, which I believe there is...then they will make it again.
- - -

It's called capitalism, sir. If there is a market for it, which I believe there is...then they will make it again.

AFAIK the manufature of that material has some environmental impact which would not make it feasible to produce anymore.

Do you like to have something else? Batemax? 8 bad tapes? B|

AFAIK the manufature of that material has some environmental impact which would not make it feasible to produce anymore.

Do you like to have something else? Batemax? 8 bad tapes? B|

"AFAIK".... Very Convincing!B| Got any hard evidence of this. OK, nevermind...I'm not trying to argue with you and we've dragged this thread off topic for long enough. Now back to your regularly scheduled program (Pilot VS Sabre2).

Of course....I would still like to hear Aerodyne's thoughts on Gelvenor!

Screw the IPod! The 8 Track Tapes Rock! :)
- - -

Have being reading everyone's thoughts and as I am very new to the sport I am looking for my first rig set up and deciding between the 190 sabre 2 and pilot. For my size and weight the dz told me that this should be my size for some time. Just curious on prices and so forth

I had forgotten how much amusement there was in this old thread. Thank you all.

(My wife and I are still a Sabre2 vs Pilot couple. It gives us something to argue about in the bar, even if my Pilot is now semi-retired (and in desperate need of a reline) :P)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?