Ronaldo

Wings PC cap lost on deployment

A few weeks ago a friend of mine had a terminal reserve deployment. He was jumping a Wings EXT. At first he thought he had recovered everything (main, reserve handle and reserve PC/ freebag). It was only when his rigger started packing that he noticed that the pilot chute cap was missing. Apparently, the snaps that hold the cap in place got open during deployment and the cap released from the pilot chute. He heard that this happened to at least one jumper in another state (but I can’t confirm that).
Has anyone experienced this before? I have assembled the cap a few times and found the snaps to be extremely strong.

Blue skies,

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Lost mine, but I also lost the PC, so I have no idea if they ever separated.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hmmmm this is strange. I have never heard of this happening on racers. Maybe yall should buy racers instead of wings.

Didn'thave a hard pull on my Wings reserve, but my wife had a big scare a while back with her Racer. It took both hands and some adreniline to get her reserve handle to pull. Metal D-ring handle. Her Wings should be here this week.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had a hard cut away on a jav once. It was spun up (the main) pretty good, and spiralling down rapidly. It took some effort to get the cables pulled, but I got over it.

That's not due to an overall design of a single system. That's due to a flaw in a general design used by every system that has since been band-aid fixed with hard housings.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I would say it was more due to dirty cables than anything else... I hadn't cleaned them in awhile and they were pretty ugly looking upon closer inspection. Let this be a lesson to all of you to keep your cables clean, and to be more thorough on gear maintenance. I'm sorry your wife had a hard pull, and I would not wish that on any one.

Lost mine, but I also lost the PC, so I have no idea if they ever separated.

Now I have to say, this brought a huge amount to the discussion :P

Now separate for KA's comment, I had a spinning mal and the cap was still attached when I finally got it all back.. Took a few days as it was cut over woods..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If you don't use the loops on the underside of the cap I can see it happening. I've seen people neglect to do it...it'll detach more easily then.

They aren't just decoration. :D

I've had 4 chops on my Wings and no problems. (none of them were terminals though, thankfully)

If you don't use the loops on the underside of the cap I can see it happening. I've seen people neglect to do it...it'll detach more easily then.

They aren't just decoration. :D

I've had 4 chops on my Wings and no problems. (none of them were terminals though, thankfully)

I'm sure mine was using the loops (I packed it), and still had it come off.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine had a terminal reserve deployment. He was jumping a Wings EXT. At first he thought he had recovered everything (main, reserve handle and reserve PC/ freebag). It was only when his rigger started packing that he noticed that the pilot chute cap was missing. Apparently, the snaps that hold the cap in place got open during deployment and the cap released from the pilot chute. He heard that this happened to at least one jumper in another state (but I can’t confirm that).
Has anyone experienced this before? I have assembled the cap a few times and found the snaps to be extremely strong.

Blue skies,

Ronaldo

It happens from time to time in rare cases. It's the downside of making it easily field replaceable, but as mentioned, it's quite rare for it to happens, and doesn't affect function in any way.

A call to the factory will get it replaced FOC for you.

:)
This is not new, using the loops & the snaps to hold the cap on the pilot chute will not eliminate the problem.

The snaps open & the tape slide out from the loops & the cap is free to go.

What I do for years is: pass the tapes under the loops & close the snaps, hand tack the tape after the snap to the cap inner surface with "Super Tack"
& the cap will stay in place.

Safe Rigging !!!

:)What I do for years is: pass the tapes under the loops & close the snaps, hand tack the tape after the snap to the cap inner surface with "Super Tack"

That’s a really good idea; I'll do it on mine. Just curious though…why would you want the cap to be so easily removed? Why not use knots like the ones you find on Racer pop tops? The only big advantage I see is when you want to wash the rig (you can quickly remove the cap and wash it without the PC)

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

This is not new, using the loops & the snaps to hold the cap on the pilot chute will not eliminate the problem.

The snaps open & the tape slide out from the loops & the cap is free to go.

What I do for years is: pass the tapes under the loops & close the snaps, hand tack the tape after the snap to the cap inner surface with "Super Tack"

Safe Rigging !!!

After two of my customers brought me their Wings, after reserve deployments and the pilot chute caps were missing, I started tacking the caps, also. I spoke with the manufacturer about this and he thought it was a good idea. To get replacement caps, I called the manufacturer and recieved them free of charge.

Charge

Well done.

I spoke with the mfg. (Henri) few years ago about that & he told me also that hand tacking is a good way to keep the caps in place.

Safe Rigging !!!

Another good reason for the Symposiums! That's where I visited with Henri about this subject a few years back. Take care of yourself and keep-up the good work!

Chuck