OlympiaStoica

Landings ... I am frustrated beyond belief!!!

d123,
Here is the gig....I like my life. I don't mind only jumping in the morning and in the evening when the winds are nice and light. I'm A-OK with that.
Just like I'm AOK with not doing 140mph on the highway with my bike.
I'm a freefall junky, I just want soft landings. Soft safe and free of any snapping sounds.

You only say this now.. Just wait till like a few hundred more jumps, I'm pretty sure this will all change :P

That's what I thought when I was doing AFF, I saw all that freeflying, swooping and I said screw this shit, all I want is to get down safely with no hassle.. But now I want to do everything + BASE... :D
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Then my friend your next step is clear ... and near :)

1)Canopy class? Signed up and ready to go!
2)Speak to my coach? Check!
3)New gear at the DZ suited for a fat ass such as myself? CHECK!
4)Practice PLF’s till my ass is black and blue!....can’t do it on a broken leg but will do when I get better.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

A good landing [check] after the landing he is good (unharmed, walking).
A good technique ... do you really want to promote that way of landing/flaring to other students as a good techique that they'll use on sport canopies and common used WL? He seems to be light 150 pounds on something like 280 or 300 sqft.

IMO the first few dozen ( 50 ? ) landings should be easy as can be. New folks must survive the early stages without getting hurt, else they are outta here !!!:|

A good landing [check] after the landing he is good (unharmed, walking).
A good technique ... do you really want to promote that way of landing/flaring to other students as a good techique that they'll use on sport canopies and common used WL? He seems to be light 150 pounds on something like 280 or 300 sqft.

IMO the first few dozen ( 50 ? ) landings should be easy as can be. New folks must survive the early stages without getting hurt, else they are outta here !!!:|

To be 100% honest, I've had some sleepless nights.
I LOVE THIS SPORT! But this is the first real injury I have ever had and I'm freaked out. I think I'll go back....key words here....I think. [:/]

D the guys at SV Montreal were the best! What a great facility! I wish I had one closer to my house! I can see myself being a total tunnel junky!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Agreed 100% with you. A two stages landing is probably what OlympiaStoica needs. It slows down the canopy and gives the pilot more time to evaluate when to do the final full flare. With a parachute like a Storm 190 she will have still a lot of flaring power for the second stage.

But amazingly, a friend of mine 2 weeks ago at the Summerfest at Skydive Chicago (he is jumping a Sabre 2-190) found out that borrowing a demo Sabre 2-170 from PD up there and jumping it, has allowed him to land more softly and this after 3 jumps with the last one with almost no wind.
He has about 500 jumps. I am not saying that Olympia should do the same now but it is a good thing to remember that some more speed can be helful for a stronger flare.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

there's some worrying posts there, canopy-ride only to get you down safely after freefall!? :S

with an attitude like that, this injury wont be your last i reckon.. good luck! ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

:S

with an attitude like that, this injury wont be your last i reckon.. good luck! ;)

Hay be nice!
Just because I want to get down safe and swooping doesn't interest me is no reason to be mean.
I just want to enjoy my free fall and get down safe.
After a few safe landings maybe I'll start wonding what's out there.
But for now safe is the name of the game.

Take a canopy control course if you can.

I just exchanged some e-mails with my DZO, whom has been very supportive. The next formal canopy coaching course is in more than a month. So, I'm making arangements to hire someone for one-on-one coaching. All day/weekend hop 'n pops with some ground school should help ... I hope ........

O

*****> Hiya O! I have to do some H&Ps in my continued training at our DZ ... we should do some together!! I PLF'd two of three jumps this weekend, and planned to do them...they worked fine, and I walked away from each one unscathed, just dirty. I really do not care if the landings look too pretty at this stage - I am learning - and a well-placed PLF has done me wonders! I landed safely each time, standing or PLFing to me does not matter. No shame in a good safe landing!

Let's do some Jump-N-Dumps together!
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

:S

Hay be nice!
Just because I want to get down safe and swooping doesn't interest me is no reason to be mean.
I just want to enjoy my free fall and get down safe.
After a few safe landings maybe I'll start wonding what's out there.
But for now safe is the name of the game.

if you dont see the dangers of that kind of thinking, again, i'd recommend the tunnel; you can have ten minute freefalls, and just walk out after that..

a skydive doesnt end when you dump..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I'll disagree with you there. There is nothing wrong with being mostly interested in freefall, and wanting nothing more from your canopy than to get down safely and softly. There are thousands of skydivers like that, and they are NOT all unsafe.

If a person understands their canopy and landing patterns, they don't have to swoop, test its limits all the time, or anything else.

Are they less well-rounded? Probably. But no less safe than the freeflyer who can't do a 4-way, or the canopy pilot who never freefalls more than a few seconds, or the belly flyer who can't hold a sit.

He's not saying he has no interest in learning to fly his canopy safely. Just that he has no interest in specializing in that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

virgin-burner
Please don't take this the wrong way but don't ever get a motorcycle.

Sometimes some people just want to be safe, have have a good time, learn and slowly move forward.

I am one of those guys, be it on my bike or what ever I do. The key word for me is to be safe as I can, not to hurt any one including myself and learn from every outing.

In this sport right now, I'm just worried about having a soft landing. And I'm doing what I can to learn how to land safely so that when I do go back hopefully in the spirng I will have many safe landings.
:)Baby steps you know?
Some times it's not about putting your knee down it's about learning how to take the corner.

yea, actually, i'll never get a motorcycle, you're right with that! ;)

you're worried about soft landings? learn them! but dont come up with airbags n'shit on every 2nd post about it.. :D

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Nah, he's just thinking outside the box. Nothing wrong with that, really. After all, ripcords and spring-loaded pilot chutes worked, as did Capewells and round parachutes.

Consider all the people who have "good" reasons not to pack their mains (at least in the US).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

After his prev experience this is not worrying at all. What the canopy means to you is something he will discover with more jumps. Now (at this point) canopy means only safe landings to him and it's totally fine. It's a good start if you think about it! I have a feeling that he is not taking it light - the canopy flight that is. I think it is something that always stays in his mind/world and you can see that from his actions/posts quite clearly :)
Let's put it this way. One time during a 2way I've lost altitude awareness and I've open in the red zone somewhere around 1800-1900. We were both OK and lucky as lucky can get to have similar opening distances. From that point on, my altimeter became such a big part of my world/attention that when I re-live each skydive I see it as a HUGE (something like 3x3 meters) white altimeter always present in my experience. Doing mistakes is a great and natural way to learn :)
Regards,
Jean-Arthur Deda.

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

But amazingly, a friend of mine 2 weeks ago at the Summerfest at Skydive Chicago (he is jumping a Sabre 2-190) found out that borrowing a demo Sabre 2-170 from PD up there and jumping it, has allowed him to land more softly and this after 3 jumps with the last one with almost no wind.
He has about 500 jumps. I am not saying that Olympia should do the same now but it is a good thing to remember that some more speed can be helful for a stronger flare.

Please stop giving advice. You might think you know what you are talking about, but really you don't. In this case, it may be true a smaller canopy lands better. But without mastering a larger canopy first, a smaller canopy also allows you to break bones better (less forgiving).

Wow ... I was "away" at a boogie for the weekend and my thread just went to shit. Talks of downsizing, the person I despize most (on this site) hijacking the conversation and turning it into another personal "I'm insecure, pay attention to me" thread ... What was I thinking???

Thanks go out to all those that have sent me PM with words of encouragement and good advice. The "you are not alone, I've had / I have troubles too" messages have been very comforting ... at a time when I really need it.

Althogh I realize this is a pilot issue and not a canopy issue, I am giving up on my Storm 190; great canopy ... for someone else. (It has 40 jumps on it and it is up for sale. If you know anyone interested, send him/her my way.)

This weekend I did 12 jumps on a Pilot 188. I have landed in zero wind all weekend ... yet I did better on it from the first jump on ... I even stood up a couple of those landings. Switching from a 7-cell to a 9-cell my accuracy went to shit, but other than that, I was completely comfortable after the first jump on it. The difference in speed was a huge surprise ... the Storm comes in like a damn rocket, no matter how many describe it as "docile". People who have been watching my landings (in hopes of helping me), have always commented "uh ... you were coming in a little hot there"!!!

I don't know (yet) if Pilot is the answer and I will still need help (coaching) to get this figured out, but I have made up my mind about 7-cell versus 9-cell. The openings on the Pilot haven't been as nice as those on the Storm, but I'm at a point where I am comfortable working with less than perfect openings, in exchange for not so scary landings.

Thanks for all your help.

O

Glad you enjoyed the Pilot; I like mine, too. It's a good canopy to jump lightly loaded (mine is, too).
But no one owns any thread except for people who can lock them -- they are green and red.

In the topical forums, nobody cares who you do and don't like.

Wendy P.

Althogh I realize this is a pilot issue and not a canopy issue, I am giving up on my Storm 190; great canopy ... for someone else.

This weekend I did 12 jumps on a Pilot 188. I have landed in zero wind all weekend ... yet I did better on it from the first jump on ...
The difference in speed was a huge surprise ... the Storm comes in like a damn rocket, no matter how many describe it as "docile".

I've always been impressed with the Storm's forward speed; it is fast and I love it!

Part of solving 'pilot issue' is finding the canopy that matches you. You're addressing this issue. Good!
I've never jumped a Pilot, but I hear it's an excellent canopy for someone of our experience level.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Althogh I realize this is a pilot issue and not a canopy issue, I am giving up on my Storm 190; great canopy ... for someone else.

This weekend I did 12 jumps on a Pilot 188. I have landed in zero wind all weekend ... yet I did better on it from the first jump on ...
The difference in speed was a huge surprise ... the Storm comes in like a damn rocket, no matter how many describe it as "docile".

I've always been impressed with the Storm's forward speed; it is fast and I love it!

Part of solving 'pilot issue' is finding the canopy that matches you. You're addressing this issue. Good!
I've never jumped a Pilot, but I hear it's an excellent canopy for someone of our experience level.:)

I know that more speed means more flare power, however ... with the steep angle the Storm is coming in, I have a very short window of timing my flare - I get it wrong and I hit the ground (at high speed) ... and break my ankles.

O

My bad. I thought you meant the canopy's forward speed, not the angle you come in at.

Point remains, there is a canopy out there for everyone and you made a good choice. :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

My bad. I thought you meant the canopy's forward speed, not the angle you come in at.

Point remains, there is a canopy out there for everyone and you made a good choice. :)

No, no, no ... you were right on. Yes, it has a lot of forward speed (which to me doesn't equate to "docile") ... and also a very steep angle. From what I'm reading, the Storm is a Spectre on crack :ph34r: ...

O