Mark24688m

Skydiving/Snowboarding Helmet

Im looking for a helmet, but I also do a lot of snowboarding and I'm looking for a helmet that will work for both. Protects are cheap and break easily from what I've had in the past, and gaths just dont look like they provide the proctection from what I've read in other threads. What do think about the Evo freefly? It seems like a good choice that would work for both. What do you guys think? Thanks.

it's hard to get one for both - the more comfortable straps and ear covers aren't so good at freefall speed. or on the other end, something that won't move at 130mph might be a bit fatiguing on the slopes.

Cheap is good. A skydiving protec is $45. A snowboarding protec in the spring time closeouts can be $15. (I have one - took it jumping a few times)

I was thinking somthing like this http://www.backcountry.com/store/GIR0038/Giro-Encore-Helmet.html
Although it has soft sides, if the chin strap is secured properly the flaps really shouldnt move or fly up. I mean I really dont see them moving as long as its properly secured, but I dont really know has anybody out there ever jumped with a helmet like this? It won't be a helmet that I'll use for skydiving for years, maybe just 6 months or so until I have the money to buy a nicer one.

Don't use a skydivehelmet when you snowboard (not enough protection).
On the other hand, sometimes I use my snowboard helmet when I skydive (swoop, tandem).

Just check if the chinstrap is attached at the outside of the helmet (otherwise this creates a snagpoint) and that you can remove or at least cover possible snagpoints.

Jurgen

Don't use a skydivehelmet when you snowboard (not enough protection).

Ditto. Keep in mind a skydiving helmet is a whole lotta worthless when it comes to an actual damaging impact.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Snowboarding / Skiing helmets can be dangerous for use as a skydiving helmet. Most have a loop or a cutout in the back of the helmet for a goggle strap. This loop or cutout can snag your parachute lines on deployment causing a malfunction that you cannot cutaway and strangles you at the same time. Be very careful if you use one of these helmets for skydiving and, at a minimum, duct tape over the loop or cutout. A better choice would be to go with a different helmet for both.

Edited to add: the helmet linked to above has a goggle strap loop. Check out this picture....I wouldn't want to jump with that on the back of my helmet.

Don't use a skydiving helmet when skiing or snowboarding.

Ski/snowboard helmets are designed and tested for use under very cold temperatures. The ability of a material to retain the same flex pattern under very cold temperatures is a critical element of safety. A skydiving helmet that is not designed for cold weather may become brittle and fracture on impact, creating lots of shards to stab you in the head.

I teach both skydiving and snowboarding, and strongly support PPE for snowboarding that is designed for winter sports. Helmets are one part of that, and snowboard specific wrist guards are another.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I was thinking somthing like this http://www.backcountry.com/store/GIR0038/Giro-Encore-Helmet.html
Although it has soft sides, if the chin strap is secured properly the flaps really shouldnt move or fly up. I mean I really dont see them moving as long as its properly secured, but I dont really know has anybody out there ever jumped with a helmet like this? It won't be a helmet that I'll use for skydiving for years, maybe just 6 months or so until I have the money to buy a nicer one.

The snowboarding protec I mentioned had ears and a chinstrap virtually identical to that. And yeah, you really have to cinch it down and even then at full speed, esp coming out of a track, it is very good at catching air and trying to pull away from the forehead. Probably not dangerous, but a bit annoying, potentially distracting at the very wrong time. If you're anywhere near San Francisco, you can try mine. If you buy one, I suppose the worst case is you find you only want to use it for ski season. I'd still use mine for helicopters and if I wanted some camera stills taken. It looks much better than my abused mainstay.

If you're only go to wear it for 6 months, why not save the money and go with the protec? I know you think it has a cracking problem, but many of the othe skydiving helmets don't really pretend to do much more than protect your skin from the top of the doorway.

The hook on the back of the snowboarding helmet wasn't that hard to defeat. I managed to break the screw off just above the surface and a couple pieces of black electrical tape over removed the snag risk.