MotherGoose

REFLEX and Fliteline Systems ???

Hey Folks, if you own a REFLEX system right now, are you pretty much shit out of luck for service or spare parts, etc. ?? Is this company completely off the map ? I came across this ad on in the classified's : REFLEX and I was wondering what the consensus is on owning a Reflex nowadays. Also, not sure if this rig is a reflex or an S-Class, I would imagine the latter is the preffered rig. Any info would be very helpful, thanks.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Its a good rig, that you should be able to get at a good price since the compnay that made them is no more, but is still supported by Trident

Make sure your riggers knows them: some love them, some hate them.

The S-Class stands for Short. Its only a factor if you have a very short torso (ie, if you're a girl :ph34r:).

It is a very confy rig.
Remster

I have a reflex that's been sitting in my closet for over 2 years (since I bought a vector 3). It was gaining a lot of popularity when I started jumping (1998), but has since gone way out of style. It's really not a bad rig... comfortable, flaps stay closed (on mine at least), great reserve pin protection (against the back pad instead of the back of the rig). Only problem I had with mine was finding a rigger to pack it (well).

One rigger refused altogether, the next packed it, but the pop top didn't seat quite right and I ended up with some of the reserve pilot chute hanging out from under the pop top, which got me grounded until it was fixed. Finally started bringing it to a master rigger that has jumped and packed racers for 30 years who had no problem with it.

Overall I think it's a good rig that you might be able to find really cheap because there's no demand for them. I'd choose a reflex over a lot of other rigs out there, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice unless the price was right. Remember, the resale value will be very low.

I'd nearly give mine away to a new jumper, but the reserve is just too small for any newbie (myself included when I bought it... I got some bad advice). I'll probably get it packed and keep it as a backup rig next year. Might be able to sell it when PD's low pack volume reserves come out.

Dave

Note that Reflexes built Feb '00 onwards aren't affected by the grommet-related service bulletins. Earlier ones should have the work done if they were at all properly maintained and haven't been sitting in a closet. (The bulletins involve inspections for grommets that aren't seated tightly against the fabric, and rework of one container flap including a new grommet. Small canopy lines can catch under a grommet that isn't seated tightly.)

Overall I think it's a good rig that you might be able to find really cheap because there's no demand for them.

No shit. I gave away three of them in the last year.

They were a great rig for their day, but time has moved on. If you want any questions answered about them, the designer of the rig posts here as riggermick.

Finally started bringing it to a master rigger that has jumped and packed racers for 30 years who had no problem with it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is the key: find a rigger who has plenty of experience with Pop-Tops.
That is why Canadian riggers need an additional rating/packing test before they can pack Pop-Tops.

Trivia: CSPA divides containers into 5 types:
1-pin sport
2-pin sport
Pop-Top
Chest
Pilot Emergency Parachutes

Not being up to date doesn't count you out.

The gear industry was stagnant (still is?) when Mick introduced what some people called a better Racer . . .

Stand outside Square One in Perris for a week right now and you'll see a Reflex or several walk by.

NickD :)BASE 194

Not being up to date doesn't count you out.

The gear industry was stagnant (still is?) when Mick introduced what some people called a better Racer . . .

Stand outside Square One in Perris for a week right now and you'll see a Reflex or several walk by.

NickD :)BASE 194

Hi Nick, Bigun (from PM),

We would still be in business today if the industry hadn't taken a dump in the autum of 1998. Many businesses folded during the time from 98 to 01 (anyone remember PD source or Stunts equipment?) we were relativly new and carried a high debt load. This was the primary factor that was ultimatly impossible to overcome in light of the (then) current business environment. It seems the "industry" is still struggling in the wake of this upheavel.

When I designed, built and tested the Reflex it was my ultimate goal to build the best rig that my experience and the (then) current technology could produce. I feel that I did accomplish that goal along with plans for furthering the concept in the future. Unfortunatly (and hereby the ditty hangs) it did not work out that way.

That's how it goes in business sometimes. I hold no regrets about what I concieved/ created, I still believe 100% in what I feel was the best rig for the time. Others may dissagree, that is their perogative, but my motivation was/ is still vaild today.

I am gratified that the Reflex is still performing for the majority that still uses them as I had envisioned, that is: Performing as advertised, providing a comfortable experience and built to last!

I would love to enter the "industry" again under similar curcumstances (not the late 90's business environment though), but alas it is not going to happen anytime soon.

Bottom line: Ray Farrell will service the rigs and supply parts. I built them for comfort,longevity and practicailty. That's the approach I took when I designed the dammnd thing in the first place.

Mick.

They hold up GREAT. The pin protection is about the best there is. Find a rigger that can pack them correctly and you are set. One of the guys I typically freefly with has over 1000 jumps on his Reflex and its still going stong and I've never seen as much as a flap or tuck tabe ever come open.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Reflex was the original freefly rig, and was the official rig of the SSI Pro Tour. It had many innovations (complete bridle proctection) that is now standard on most rigs. I have 2 of them with over 1000 jumps on each. They are in terrific shape, have never had had any flaps open up, and very easy to pack the reserve. (you can do it with just a pair of shoe laces if you really need to)

A continuing reflex fan.

Cya

The Reflex was the original freefly rig, and was the official rig of the SSI Pro Tour. It had many innovations (complete bridle proctection) that is now standard on most rigs. I have 2 of them with over 1000 jumps on each. They are in terrific shape, have never had had any flaps open up, and very easy to pack the reserve. (you can do it with just a pair of shoe laces if you really need to)

A continuing reflex fan.

Love ya man!!!! Where do I send the check to?

Cya

:ph34r:

Mick.:D

I currently jump a reflex... it has been a nice rig, but has been jumped a bit and could use some repairs and updates (mostly in the way of padding and BOC pounch).

It has treated me quite well, I recently just bought a javelin for a better fit, but i'll probably keep the reflex around as a 2nd rig.

I love my Reflex. Also love my Eclipse. I guess I like orphan rigs.

The Reflex is, IMO, really well designed. Build quality is excellent, shows a lot of care. Nothing sloppy even in hidden places.

RiggerMick's Catapult system makes a lot of sense to me and I see no reason to remove it as some have done. I think it enhances safety by offering better chance of a successful reserve deployment if you have a horseshoe on your main. I know others disagree, but the Catapult videos convinced me that it is a net positive on safety.

The Reflex pin protection is unequaled. Way better than many modern rigs.

My rigger has no problem with Reflex reserve repacks. Although Fliteline is gone, Mick isn't and he will answer Reflex Qs and offer advice.

My Reflex defintely a keeper.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

And, you perfected the one-sided conventional RSL on a pop top rig. Very nice! And, only one cutter! All in all, because it has the industry standard workable RSL, and only needs one cutter...the best pop top rig ever made. One of our cameramen has two Reflex rigs and they are still going strong.