scrublink

DirecTV or Dish network

I am moving and will no longer have access to cable. Its not that big of a deal but if I go with satellite tv which one of these is better? Anyone out there have any personal experience with either of these two. I have heard that DirecTV has a lot fewer problems with snow, rain, and clouds.
Any opinions appreciated.

Ed

Go to Best Buy, Circuit City or any other major electronics store, buy an antenna, enjoy free reception!!! Use extra money for jumps!!

I have never had cable or Dish or Direct TV. I get my TV for free, and you'll even burn calories getting up to rearrange the rabbit ears when going channel to channel. Although I enjoyed watching 90210 re-runs on the newly installed Dish reception at the DZ this weekend, I can't bring myself to waste money on something totally unnecessary. [:/]

I have Direct TV. I'd have to say it's a mixed bag. I have the regular dish/receiver, and the 250 channel package. Total cost: 176/month

Pros:
1. A lot of channels, so I can find something to watch (usually)that I like.
2. The DirectTV remote can be programmed to act as a universal remote.
3. The Direct TV people will help you mesh the sat TV input with your home entertainment system.
4. The depending on your sat reception that you get, the sound and picture are excellent. (In my case, I have a HDTV, that is hooked up to a standard system, so watching movies on HBO/Cinemax channels, the quaility isn't what it could be.)

Cons:
1., A lot of channels (most of the channels I'll never watch HGTV, LOGO channel, etc)
2. Weather- when the weather is bad or windy, the reception, cuts in and you and gets pixellated (sp?)
3.Service- Getting anything installed/upgraded takes about 30 days. If you miss your scheduled install/upgrade date, be prepared for a 30 day wait.

Does that help?
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

I have DTV and love it. My cousin has Dish and sacked it. We live where it snows. Some observations:
1. The guide function of DTV seemed to work a lot quicker and was more user friendly than dish.
2. DTV only went out once - there was a lightning strike @ 10ft. from the dish. Dish had to have the snow swept off it with a broom. This could just be an installation/location issue, not sure.
3. I have an unobstructed line of view (edge of open space). That may be a real difference. I liked DTV so much I have sat. internet and that has worked flawlessly as well (knock on wood).
4. All in all, I liked the "fit and finish" of DTV much more than dish, but personal preference and all.

I would say I prefer Dish network's menu guide to that of DTV. I find it more intuitive.

As far as outages due to weather, you should talk to people in your area. I've had both providers and I've had both cut out. It's the nature of satellite.

Even then, I'm pretty confident that assuming you install either provider's equipment correctly, the frequency of an outage would be the same on both sides.

It comes down to personal preference. Find people who have either and see if you can check it out.

Like I said, I find Dish to be easier to use. And whichever you get, get the DVR package. It costs more, but it makes all the money you spend on TV watching anyway much more worthwhile.

Genreal reply: I presently live in cable country. Almost everyone I talk to has cable. Make that everyone I talk to. I don't really feel that I need TV in the house, but I really enjoy watching the Red Sox play. Its an illness around here. I should be getting counseling or something. That would be the entire reason for getting a satellite hook up for me. The area I am moving is 1 mile out of town and has absolutely no extra services. No sewer, water, cable, gas, broadband of any kind etc. I knew about it before hand so I am not really in a position to bitch. Its just going to take a bit of time to adjust to the new surroundings. That and the fact that I have lived in the same house (same room) my entire life (42 years). Thanks to all who responded and shared their thoughts and opinions. Would've replied back sooner but this site is blocked at work.

Ed