ChrisL

Guitar envy?

I've waited my whole life to do this and damn am I
psyched!

I have comissioned Luthier Scott Gordon to build me a 100%
custom shred machine designed entirely by me.
The body shape and headstock are my design and all materials and electronics are my pick.

A true one of a kind guitar.

I will be documenting the process with pictures as he builds it.

Specs:

Scale: 25.5"
24 medium jumbo frets
Solid mahogany body and neck.
Neck through body design.
Carved, highly figured curly maple top.
Gabon Ebony fretboard w/ Agoya shell block inlays
Stainless steel fret wire
EMG active pickups (81, SA, 85) w/ 5 position selector
Schaller Floyd Rose double locking trem
Double acting truss rod
Buzz Feiten tuning system with Planet Waves auto trim locking tuning machines
All heavy duty potentiometers (25,000+ duty cycles)
Fully shielded electronics compartments with tool clips and carved wood cover plate w/ magnetic attachment. No screws.
Truss rod cover engraved with "O' Laochdha"

Attached is my design. I drew it exactly to scale and gave it to
Scott along with all measurements and specs.
I expect the finished product to look almost identical to the image.

Now I just have to wait 6 months for it to be finished
>:(
__

My mighty steed

Awe, just get a Fender.

I've owned many Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez, Paul Reed Smith, ESP
and more.

They dont cut the mustard.

This guitar encorporates everything I've liked in my other guitars and none of the things I hated.

Most guys accomplish the same thing (as I have in the past) by owning a bunch of guitars.

This is another solution.
__

My mighty steed

Ebony fretboard...nice. And generally a sweet looking axe.

My dream is a vintage Les Paul black beauty. I just love the fretless wonder feel. Had I know what it was worth I would have ran away with my guitar instructor's when I was 12.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I would rather have a Paul Reed Smith. :P Seeing as how they are so expensive, thats my guitar dream.

I owned a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24. Used to be my dream guitar too.

It stopped being my dream guitar once I had one and realized that
they are built no better than any other.
Machine made and mass produced.
They sound decent and look nice, but for what you get they are absurdly overpriced.

They are NOT hand made, and while they do not lie about this fact, they are more than happy to let people think they are.
As such they are so overpriced that it made me sick when I learned the truth.

Reality is that they are very pretty. The "10 top" models look sweet, but thats just cosmetic.

Did you know that their 24 fret models all have a dead spot at the 12th fret G and its been this way for years?
Its a design defect that they are well aware of but do nothing to fix, and for $2800.00 thats just unacceptible.

If you want a PRS, more power to you, but know what you are buying when you do, and buy some of the great condition used ones you can find rather than paying retail for a new one.
__

My mighty steed

My dream is a vintage Les Paul black beauty.

Thats a nice guitar for sure, but the 4 -5 grand you will spend on it
can get you one custom built.

You could have one built to exactly the same specs, produce the same tone and feel, but be a far higher quality and be truely a "custom" guitar.
__

My mighty steed

That's a gorgeous axe, you're going to be crazed by the time it's ready to deliver. :)
Just out of curiosity, what's the advantage of using the trim locking tuning machines AND the Floyd?

And I've found my baby until I can afford one of these in the Peavey Wolfgang, it just fits my hand like nothing else I've found yet. Congrats!
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

That's a gorgeous axe, you're going to be crazed by the time it's ready to deliver. :)
Just out of curiosity, what's the advantage of using the trim locking tuning machines AND the Floyd?

Only for ease of string changing. No winding the string around the post and it automatically clips off the excess string.
I'm lazy :-)

And I've found my baby until I can afford one of these in the Peavey Wolfgang, it just fits my hand like nothing else I've found yet. Congrats!

If you ever do get a custom one built, save the specs from your peavy and have the custom built to those specs.

My fingerboard is being made to the exact same scale, radius, and width specs as my ESP cuz that baby fits me like no other
__

My mighty steed

Any particular reason why the tuning keys are on the bottom?
just wondering.

Only to suit my taste. There is no functional reason for it.
Its a bit different, thats all.

I'm far from the first guy to do it, but most guitars either have them on the top, or have 3 pegs on each side.

I like the look.
__

My mighty steed

Floyds have a habit of making your guitar go out of tune because the strings can slide through the nut and change the string tension. Usually, you'd put a locking nut on there to stop this but Buzz Feiten presumably doesn't make locking nuts. Instead, locking tuning machines are fitted to stop the tuners from moving. This doesn't stop the string sliding through the nut, so you lube the nut with graphite so the string slides back easily. Some people use roller nuts as a more definate way of doing this but I'll bet Buzz doesn't make those either. I'd put a Feiten nut on a hard tail, but I think the risks outweight the benefits on a Floyd. Your milage may vary.