mx757

Shayna Richardson' again..

Richardson did go skydiving again after the accident, just to "show teh parachute whoe's boss."

Richardson said she now plans to keep her feet on the ground.

"Holding him (Tanner) is more of a thrill than jumping out of any airplane," Richardson said. "Any mom will agree holding that little baby is way more precious."

Richardson added that she hopes Tanner will grow up and want to jump from an airplane as well.

Interesting to read the way those sentences interact with each other... not to mention the spelling errors all over that article...:S

someone give that girl an anal probe... :o
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

From what I recall, wasn't that a simple brake fire on a big ol' student chute?

"I tried like mad to fix it," Richardson said.
[:/][:/][:/]

Oh and try not to be too hard on her, guys...students to all kinds of weird stuff, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

From what I recall, wasn't that a simple brake fire on a big ol' student chute?

"I tried like mad to fix it," Richardson said.
[:/][:/][:/]

Oh and try not to be too hard on her, guys...students to all kinds of weird stuff, right?

break fire on a smaller then student chute From what I remember.
My photos

My Videos

People seem to forget that she had a real live reserve malfunction. I have no idea if it was something she could have fixed or not, but she really did spiral into the ground under a malfunctioning reserve. Yeah, she shouldn't have cut away her main, but that was a simple student mistake.

I don't understand why she gets such a hard time and gets made fun of so much. I think she's actually brought some great publicity to the sport. Sucks that it took a bad accident for that to happen, but this really is a dangerous sport afterall.

Dave

People seem to forget that she had a real live reserve malfunction. I have no idea if it was something she could have fixed or not, but she really did spiral into the ground under a malfunctioning reserve. Yeah, she shouldn't have cut away her main, but that was a simple student mistake.

If I remember correctly, she had a popped toggle on her main, chopped, then had a popped toggle on her reserve. I wouldn't really call that a "malfunction"...spinning is exactly what a parachute is supposed to do with one brake pulled down and the other one not.

In any case, it seems appropriate that her story be revived...Lutz was just back up yesterday. :S:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think it was a released toggle on her reserve. I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever reading that. On the main, yes... I think she was practicing rear riser turns with her brakes stowed and knocked one loose without realizing it.

I can't watch the video right now, but I'm pretty sure her reserve slider didn't make it more than about half way down. I think it was a tension knot or something.

Videos: http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=search&search=do&string=shayna&searchtype=allwords&click=1&sortby=datedesc

Dave

...Whats a brake fire? And how is it usually dealt with?

A brake fire is when one of the brakes on your car overheats for some reason (e.g. hangs up, locks-up or otherwise drags on the drum or disk) to the point where it causes the rim, tire, brake assembly, etc. to catch fire.

Its also a slang term used in skydiving to describe when one or both of your steering lines & toggle come un-stowed on opening. Acoisa, if you don't know what it means for your steering lines / toggles to be "stowed", you'll learn that in FJC.

Its usually dealt with by just unstowing the "other" toggle (i.e. the one that didn't come unstowed on opening) and cycling the brakes... others may suggest opposite riser to counter the turn while you figure things out... again, Acoisa, more stuff you'll learn in FJC, but, Acoisa, when you do take FJC, plan on dealing with it (if it happens) the way your instructors teach you.

Some of the things that can go from bad to worse if a steering line & toggle come unstowed on opening are, but not restricted to:
1) The spin can be violent enough to spin you into line twist that you cannot kick out of.
2) Damage the canopy.
3) With one brake line / toggle unstowed, the canopy will turn. With this happening on opening, this can confuse an inexperienced canopy pilot and one of the worst feelings one can experience skydiving is just after opening, looking up at your chute and thinking, "What the fuck is that?!!?" Not dealing with minor problems correctly or quickly enough have hurt and killed people skydiving.

I've had steering lines / toggles come unstowed on opening more then once throughout my skydiving career. Basically it was just a matter of unstowing the other brake, stopping the turn, cycling the brakes, etc., fly, land, pack, jump again. I've had both brakes come unstowed on opening at least once I can think of. That was a real sporty opening... i.e. Hard... surprised I didn't blow my main up on that jump... and the canopy tried to go straight into full flight with both end cells fully collapsed.

I remember reading about this, and about her making a mistake.. Whats a brake fire? And how is it usually dealt with?

Btw. I can't ask my instructor, I don't have one yet.. :P Aff starts in April.

Good question. As Andy wrote, one of your brakes comes unstowed, causing the canopy to go into a hard turn or spin upon opening. All you need to do is grab both toggles and pull down to unstow the other brake and stop the spin.

That Idiot girl who's Idiot boyfriend Rick West did lot no-no to her jump is is news again.. free Dental job.

http://www.nbc10.com/health/10958415/detail.html

Next she'll be begging for more stuff...and money..

Good God, people. Give it a rest.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Shayna did have a mal. but one that she could have fixed.
her story is always changing and she has never tried to tell the whole truth of the story.
those of us who know her and her boyfriend instructor as just sick of this stuff, the truth is sad and the way she keeps the media hype up is incredable.. she should go into marketing and stop ridining the welfare system that she is currently on.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Hey I was one of those that was pissed at the media whore dredging up all this shit and effectively putting my family and friends squarely on my back about how dangerous jumping is...

But as stupid as the girl is, she does have to live with that God awful mess of a face, and I don't know anyone here that's had to deal with looking in the mirror to that much facial devastation every morning. (no puns, I'm being serious)

-And about the dentist and whomever else has pitched in *free* medical procedures for cosmetic appearance...well, guys they are getting a nice tax write off (most likely) out of it and some incredible publicity for their own practices. They are awesome people for donating their time, skills, and facilities to help, but fortunately I don't feel that they are getting taken for a ride by little miss dumb ass.

I don't fault a *student* for the mismanaged malfunctions...I'd fault her instruction. I'd also find fault with her judgement to tag along with her dumb butt instructor/boyfriend to find a place that would allow her to jump beyond her abilities (if all of that back story that dz.com peeps have provided is to be believed).

I guess my point is (if I can find one in here :ph34r:) that being stupid doesn't mean that someone should have to suffer any more than is necessary, ya know? [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

It seems the news lost interest. They didnt even run it passed an editor.
they should have just posted he story here so the grammar nazis could do their jobs'.

And is your editor off today sweetie? ;)

Grammar Nazi OUT! :D

Edited because I found more errors.. haha! :P

yes, my editor is out:D

i dont care about editing my posts online. when i sub,it articles and the such, i do edit.

while i am sure there are still errors i can gurantee they aren't like the ones youd find in my posts.:P
My photos

My Videos