jarrodh

Who is your favorite Guitarist?

Doesn't ...
Sheryl Crow(?)
Bonny Rait
Joan Jet

play a mean guitar?

SRV is getting loads of votes... too right

Bonnie Rait's guitar playing, blows me away! Another good (male) picker is Lindsey Buckingham.
The late, Mary Ford (wife of Les Paul) was pretty damned good! Also, Mother Maybelle Carter.

Chuck

Pretty amazing that we have humbucking pickups and sound on sound recording. Thank you Mary Ford and Les Paul. No body remembers Mary Ford. Sign of the ages.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Doesn't ...
Sheryl Crow(?)
Bonny Rait
Joan Jet

play a mean guitar?

SRV is getting loads of votes... too right

Bonnie Rait's guitar playing, blows me away! Another good (male) picker is Lindsey Buckingham.
The late, Mary Ford (wife of Les Paul) was pretty damned good! Also, Mother Maybelle Carter.

Chuck

Pretty amazing that we have humbucking pickups and sound on sound recording. Thank you Mary Ford and Les Paul. No body remembers Mary Ford. Sign of the ages.

Amen! I remember seeing them on the old Ed Sullivan Show, when I was a kid. I really enjoyed their music and style, then. A real 'class act'.

Chuck

Chuck

Eric Clapton's tour 2007
notably hands off many of the guitar solos to the young prodigies who share the stage with him:
Derek Trucks
Doyle Bramhall II (my favorite)

;)

I concur but my Fave is Derek Trucks, I LOVE SLIDE

From an accoustic side of thing, you would be hard pressed to do better tha Otmar Leibert
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I just thought of one I dont think I saw anyone write yet.

Joe Perry!

Has been mentioned. By me.

But I agree: he's developed over the years and managed to increase his skills significantly.

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

True alot af people are unaware of her, guitar playing!
But Babs, that women is an incredible musician, not just guitars, sax, mandolin, drums etc.
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

Jerry Garcia.

I'll second that, not only guitar, but banjo picken and steel peddle too.

Amen to that Brother. First time I ever saw ole Jer was in 1970. He wasn't even slinging his electric guitar, not for another hour or so anyways. He was seated at his "Mr. Benson" pedal steel with The New Riders of the Purple Sage, before the Dead even came on. In the old days it wasn't enough for him to just play with the headline band, he had to play with them all and he could play in ANY style.

God how I loved that guy ! Year after year I went to see him, whether I needed to or not. He played for each and every person in the hall, one-on-one. People still think he was just a wierdo, but he played thoroughly American folk, jazz, blues, and country.

I miss him so much....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Brian May, David Gilmour.

Other favorite musicians, Justin Chancellor (Bassist for Tool), Danny Carey (Drummer for Tool), Brian Bromberg (jazz bassist), Freddy Mercury, Maynard James Keenan...to name a few.....
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

True alot af people are unaware of her, guitar playing!
But Babs, that women is an incredible musician, not just guitars, sax, mandolin, drums etc.

I recall watching ; 'The Barbara Mandrel Show' and her talen blew me away. This might raise some hackles but, the two sisters (not the little chubby one) with 'The Dixie Chicks' have an abundance of talent, also.

Chuck

Funny how nobody seems to consider bass guitarists

If you're talking bass, Les Claypool hands down.

But in all your categories, Guthrie Govan (Asia, GPS and solo work) does the business. He did a medley for Guitarist Magazine of guitarist famous for various techniques as polled by the readers. There were loads of different players covered including Vai, Satch, Malmseen, SRV, Gilbert, Townsend, Hendrix, Knopfler, Morello, EVH and more and he nailed the lot.

I do not think Les Claypool is one of the greats by any means.

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"