BillyVance

What the fuck is wrong with some people?

With our order for new kitchen cabinets set, and delivery due in 5 weeks, we set about ripping up the floor in the foyer. We are totally changing the kitchen/dining/foyer spaces from floor to ceiling. Naturally, the foyer was the easiest place to start.

The previous homeowner, who we bought the house from, had told us he laid a new floor in this area before putting the house on the market. What he didn't tell me was how he did it. :S

In picture 1, you can see the top floor, 12x12 stick-on tiles on a sticky pad, which is glued to 1/4" plywood, which was stapled through the original vinyl flooring (ugly as fuck), which was amply glued to the subfloor. I mean, holy fucking shit batman! See picture 3 and you'll see how many staples they used. Somebody was trigger-happy with the damn gun. >:(

It's just a damn pain in the ass because we're stripping everything down to the subfloor to prep it for durock boards and ceramic tiles.

Some people can be so fucking stupid... [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy,

I am a firm believer that people should not be allowed to go to Home Depot or Lowe's or any other home improvement store until they pass some type of licensing exam. Most people have no idea how to do a job a right. I am amazed at how many times I have had to spend additional time and money fixing someone else's "handiwork".

If you don't know what you are doing, leave it for the professionals.... (or well trained amatuers)...
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

HHHMMMM, Do you have homeowners insurance?
Do you have a book of matches?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

The easiest solution to problems like this is to get the Skil Saw out and install a nail biter blade or at least an old dull blade and set the blade depth to just slightly cut into the subfloor. cut the floor into about 2' X 2' squares and pry up the tiles with a crow bar/flat bar. All of the layers will be intact and easy to discard.

Deano

Well if the glue is a problem turn the heat up in your house as high as you can. The glue will soften and the flooring will actually slide. Allowing it to come RIGHT UP. to get the staples up, its tedious, but grab a flat bar and go staple by staple. If your in the NY area gimme a shout....Good Luck otherwise. Whatever you do DO NOT use a torch to soften the glue the whole floor will flash on you and you will have a bigger problem.
-"It's amazing the kinds of things you think about when there's no time to think."

TOWER LADDER 44...FDNY, SOUTH BRONX

We live in a house that is over a hundred years old. Lots of people have done lots of dumb things in this place (including us, a time or two) The absolutely best way to get out an entire staple every time you try is to use plyers. Place the tip of the pliers against the floor as you grasp the staple, and then you have a fulcrum to lever against. Rock the pliers, instead of pulling them. Lots easier and faster than any other way. Any other way will occasionally leave very little pieces of the staple in the surface and the smaller the piece, the more difficult it is to remove. Little bits of staple will come thru wallpaper, or vinyl flooring.

Btw, there were FIVE vinyl floors on our bathroom floor when we bought this place.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

My parents house was similar except it was with panelling. The guy who put it up must have owned stock in a company that manufactured nails. There must have been a nail every 3-5 inches. They didn't bother putting anything under the paneling either, so you had no sound barrier between the walls.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Can we staple the previous homeowner of your house to the fucker who hit my daughter's car Friday night, dip them in glue, and throw them in a pit full of fiberglass and various biting insects?

(The guy currently under my skin was drunk, driving on a suspended license, without insurance, and tried to run on foot. She had some guy friends there who chased him down and "subdued" him till the cops arrived, but his arrest doesn't seem like punishment enough for my anger. Liability insurance...buy it people!)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Is this the same car that you ...

Uh, never mind. You're pissed. I don't need to poke the bear. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

if most of the staples are sticking up.... as seen in the photo...then get a couple of vise grips...
Set them up at just the right squeeze.....so they will bite the staple without breaking it,,, and do that with the nose of the tool,, right on the floor... then by rocking the locked vise grips against the floor, you'll leverage those bad boys, right out of the subfloor.... no problemo;)

If you can run two tools at a time, and if they are set up to unlock, easily,, you'll be pleased with how quick the job can be done....
Then just sweep and shop vac.....B|
...Plus.. no sawdust in the air, and all over the room....:)If you plan to screw the durorock to the sub floor, it would be best to drill pilot holes 1/8 inch diameter wherever you plan to drive a screw... drill the rock, ahead of time and NOT in the room....( in fact, you could probably drill 3 sheets at a time, if you stack them , on one another,,,,) Now the screw heads will seat themselves properly and not be in the way of your thin-set trowel..... when it comes time to tile.....plus you won't put a pucker in the greyboard...:|
...and lastly....;)B|;)
.....Now is your chance to have the NEXT owner cursing at YOU,,,,,by simply glueing your duro-rock, before screwing it down...:ph34r:B|
good luck

jmy

If you don't know what you are doing, leave it for the professionals.... (or well trained amatuers)...

I rent, so whatever I have to get done usually isn't big or problematic (big stuff is the landlord's responsibility). However, it can be annoying. I am absolutely the worst when it comes to home repair, even the minor stuff (although I've gotten the hang of changing lightbulbs...). I don't have the first clue about what to do - but I do have some dear friends who do. So when they have occasion to come over, I usually have a "pretend Honey-Do" list...and my stuff gets done.

I'm lucky that way.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I usually have a "pretend Honey-Do" list...and my stuff gets done.

Laziness or lack of motivation works, too. When I got my DVD player a few years ago, it sat in the box for a few days because I was too busy to actually take the time to get it all hooked up with all the other electronic paraphernalia attached to my television. I would have gotten around to it and had no trouble getting it to work, it just hadn't happened yet.

One of my friends who came over for Thanksgiving dinner was stunned that I had a new piece of electronic equipment and I hadn't installed it IMMEDIATELY! He took it upon himself to hook it up while we were waiting for dinner ... B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Our last house was previously owned by a guy who "thought" he was handy. He wasn't. I mean things like using hooks to route drawstring chains from ceiling lights (instead of running a simple switch), to lousy landscaping, etc etc - easy fun stuff.

I thought it was a lot of fun to have projects all the time.

Our current house is actually pretty nice and well put together (that guy wasn't handy, but he knew it and used a good handyman). And, therefore, much more boring for me. (All the real issues stem from the original manufacturer cutting corners - latest issue was waterproofing around windows and under the siding not to code - I leave big projects for hiring contractor friends who guarantee the work. The last one was a skydiving buddy who did phenominally good work.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

you know my hubby and I do this stuff for a living where the heck are you? I got alot of shit going down right this minute, but if you need any help with that we may be able to assist you with that. I have pictures of our work and references. When I saw the post what the fuck is wrong with some people? Since it seems to pertain to my present situation, I think they are fucking possessed by the damn devil at this point Billy seriously.-caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

Thanks everyone!

Basically, I am kind of a handyman around the house. I have replaced most if not all, of the interior doors, as well as a couple of windows, myself. I have also completely stripped one bathroom, leaving only the tub in place, and rebuilt it. It's the best room in the house right now. I have also laid new laminated flooring in about half of the house so far.

I could probably do the flooring in the kitchen/dining/foyer space myself, but there is a noticable ridge and dip in one place, plus the whole area is a pretty big job. I don't think I have enough time to do it all. I just have enough time to take care of the demolition of the floor and kitchen, then get a floor contractor put the new floor in (and do it right), just ahead of the kitchen cabinet installation by the cabinet installer. Time is tight, but at least by being a stay-at-home dad, I can keep an eye on the progress. I will post pictures of the kitchen before demolition starts, as well as pictures of the new kitchen design.

It's the biggest job I will have ever done though. :)
Edited to add: I'll tell you what though, the most fun part of demolition will be me swinging my sledgehammer through the shitty old cabinets. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban