tfasbend

Sabre 2, Strange Opening Pattern

This summer I bought myself a new Sabre 2 170. A beautiful canopy but with a strange opening pattern:

- soft, smooth opening during the initial part
- slider remains in the upper third of the risers
- left and right end cells remain closed

So each time I have to get the slider down with a serious front riser input, and it requires 3-5 equally serious pumping movements with both brakes to open the end cells. I jumped the new canopy about 15 times, and it was the same each time.

So I am curious, if PD designed it that way - why?; or if not, what can I do about it? Increase the slider hole diameter?

Maybe somebody can give advise.

Thomas
Sancta Maria spes nostra sedes sapientiæ ora pro nobis

"- soft, smooth opening during the initial part
- left and right end cells remain closed "

Yes Pd did Design the Sabre 2 this way.

I found that if you just pump the rear risers about three times the cells open, the slider comes down, and all is well for the after opening procedre.

I have about ninety jumps total on Sabre 2's. 20 on a 190, and 70 on a 150, and almost every jump is exactly like you described it.

This summer I bought myself a new Sabre 2 170. A beautiful canopy but with a strange opening pattern:

- soft, smooth opening during the initial part
- left and right end cells remain closed

So each time I have to get the slider down with a serious front riser input, and it requires 3-5 equally serious pumping movements with both brakes to open the end cells. I jumped the new canopy about 15 times, and it was the same each time.

So I am curious, if PD designed it that way - why?; or if not, what can I do about it? Increase the slider hole diameter?

Maybe somebody can give advise.

Thomas

It could be worse you could have a sabre 1 and it goes like this WACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All in one stage slider down and all cells wide open.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

it is completely normal for sabre2's. all the sizes i have demo'ed and the 170 i have now have done it every time. and i have to say i like it better than the ball crushing opening on the sabre classic. at times they were terrible. the trick with the rear risers is the best way to solve the cells, and the slider problem is not really a problem. you can just reach for it, can't you?
https://icarusanddaedalusadventures.blogspot.com/

What kind of harness do you have? Mine is articulated and I tighten my chest strap up quite a lot. When I release the chest strap the slider just sails on down. I used to have problems with the end cells, but with around 300 jumps on it now, I don't anymore.

I usually reach for my rear risers just after opening anyway to make sure I can steer away from any other canopies if I need to, and have found that when I've needed to use them, the slider comes down even without loosening the chest strap.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Had the same with my sabre 2 (135) but after downsizing (many jumps later) to a sabre 2 (97) dont have the problem
the higher wing loading made a huge difference
as the others said rear risers and all is fine
great landings with a sabre 2,very responsive
have fun
Steve
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

The cause of your slider hanging up is your chest strap being too tight. The end cells can be cleared by pumping the rear risers (before unstowing the brakes).
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

How are you packing it? Are you rolling the nose? I've packed several Sabre-2's for other folks and packed it according to manufacturer's instructions (the 'standard response for riggers:D) and no complaints from those jumping the parachute. I asked how the opening was... end-cell closures? a 'whacker' opening? and etc. Their response was 'smooth and soft'. Just a thought.

Chuck

Yea RTFM, and I have two sabre ones, and when packed the way the manual says to pack them, they don't go WACK, as many others have posted.

If they did I wouldn't be jumping them with 20 some pounds of shit on my head.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Good Lord, Man! You must have a neck like a professional wrestler from that gear!:D
The way I see it is, that manufacturer, put a lot of time and energy into the production of that parachute as for R&D. At least, 'try' their way! I pack my Sabre-1 according to manufacturer's instructions and have had good openings. The only line-breaking whacker I ever had, was when I first got it and rolled the nose and all kinds of oragami stuff that other folks suggested.

Chuck

Folks, great assistance and many thanks out to all of you. I don't mind playing around with the risers as long as I feel I ought to, and that it's not some silly mistake on my side.

By the way I jumped the Sabre1 very early in my short career, and it's true I am not keen on going back to the WACKS and the blue stripes left and right of my cherished parts. At least my wife didn't like them.

Thomas:ph34r:
Sancta Maria spes nostra sedes sapientiæ ora pro nobis