joelivewire

tips on front flips and back flips

I was worried about doing them... I wanted them to be perfect - I'm sorta weird like that! [:/] However, after I tried the first one, that was FAR from perfect btw, I realized how FUN they are... and when that happened - they suddenly got better!

Moral of the story: Don't stress 'em - RELAX - have fun - listen to your instructor - have FUN - RELAX! :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

take this with a grain of salt and listen to your instructors first and foremost.........

for me, completing the front and back loop, and finishing on heading, was about staying tucked longer, and then sort of kicking out at the end. i mistakenly felt that the initial thrust would be enough to carry me all the way around, but the air, as you are falling at 120mph changes things....

good luck, and have fun. flips are super fun for me still.
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

Agree that there's no point you trying to 'stay ahead' with stuff like this. Your instructor should give you an adequate briefing at the appropriate time.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that these maneouvres are often used with students to make them unstable and demonstrate how to recover from that instability. If your front/ backloop is perfect first time, you might miss out on a valuable lesson! :)

Just did this about a month ago, TONS OF FUN!!!!

For the front flip you can practice by forcefully throwing your upper body toward your toes. For back flips, bring both of your knees forcefully to your chest (just one at a time for practicing on the ground).

You WILL become unstable and this is the whole point. After you get back to your belly you will rock for a couple of seconds until your body stabilizes.
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

barral rolls; bring in both your arm and leg (on the same side), as you pass 90 degrees, extend that arm and leg while bringing in the oposites, as you pass 270 get back into your arch.
front flip; pull in both arms as you bend at the waist, keep your legs out, then as you're going onto your back extend your arms as you pull your knees/legs in. Extend your legs again as you pass head-up/270 degree portion of the flip and get back into your arch.
back flip; pull your knees into your chest as you extend your arms, pushing down with your arms as you start to rotate, then when you're on your back extend your legs. Think about keeping your arms parallel to the ground through the whole flip, pushing all the way around as your body rotates.
The biggest mistakes I see from students on these manuvers is not finishing the move, i.e. getting the first half of the flip and then getting stuck on your back.
As has been said, talk to your instructor about this, but as I hadn't seen anyone directly reply, I thought I'd pass this along. This is how I teach it.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

best thing about the backflip is you're not actually trying to do a perfect backflip. the point is to get unstable so the worse you do, the better IFKWIM...

just lift your legs as the instructor will tell you, and over you'll go. then ARCH...

then put it on youtube...B|