SkiD_PL8

Boobies for pilots

Some of you may remember my thread about becoming a professional pilot. I decided to go for it. I am enrolling at a college that offers an AAS in aviation. It is a mixture of classes at the college and training at the airport. It is two years worth of classes and flying and at the end of that time they say I should have at least 300 hours of PIC time along with multi engine and flight instructor ratings. My question to you guys is, when I finish all of that and have a degree and that much PIC time what kind of job can I expect to get flying?

Greenie in training.

instructor
I have a friend who did it for about 500 hours, went to a commuter feeder training program, and was in the left seat (pilot) of a commuter as soon as he got his ATP.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

my best guess from when I was flying (or learning to fly), and hearing the talk of other pilots.

flight instructor, or rubber dog poo cargo pilot.

gonna need many more hours, good luck!!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I'll point you to DiverDriver. He's probably got the answer.

But, with a very structured flight training program (a recognized flt trng program) that includes tons of crew/cockpit resource management, you'd be surprised at the opportunities that may exist for a 300 hr pilot.

Good luck.....and go kick some butt and do something I should've done in my youth...:(B|

Clint from Skydive Moab the other day mentioned that his pilots need 750 hrs minimum for his DZ insurance requirements. I've heard other DZs say 500. So who knows. Maybe the insurance companies have upped their requirements. Flying is ultra cool but it's super expensive. As long as society doesn't crumble due to war or corruption, there will be a shortage of airline pilots 10-15 years from now as the baby boomers retire. But in the meantime, becoming a professional pilot requires a lot of time. 300 hours is good, but it's really not that much. Oh and I hope you don't mind poverty wages until the majors come calling. But you will be flying!!!

Good luck!!! Flying Rocks just as jumping Rolls!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You can't do much with only 300 hours of flight time. You can probably tow banners, and maybe fly jumpers. Nobody is going to hire you to fly cargo with that little bit of time either.

You might be able to get a job as a CFI. Even this is a maybe. As a flight school owner I tend to stay from low time pilots who have been trained via a "professional pilot" program. The biggest reason is that most of these programs only teach you the bare minimum to pass the CFI checkride and not really teach. They treat the CFI as an addon to your other ratings to allow you to build time toward a "real" flying job.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. If you want to be in aviation, don't be discouraged. Just don't expect an easy road.

You can't do much with only 300 hours of flight time.

Air Wisconsin just hired someone with 392 TOTAL TIME. Rare, thankfully, but it does happen. Now we'll see if they make it through training.

Hmmmm.... from 172 flying 105 knots to swept wing jet with high by-pass turbofans doing 470 knots TAS at FL 290. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

You can't do much with only 300 hours of flight time.

Les see. Air Force student pilots go from basically zero flight time to flying a supersonic T-38C in oh, about 180hrs..... Ultimately graduating to move on to a faster weapon system (ie. F-15/16) with a grand total of not much more than 300 hrs......

And, there are many civilian flying programs in the US that can almost match that type of efficiency in moving a student pilot thru the ratings with excellent training.

My question to you guys is, when I finish all of that and have a degree and that much PIC time what kind of job can I expect to get flying?

Nothing in any way spectacular- probably nothing that includes flying, anyhow. I know a few guys who graduated last year from such a program... only one I know has a flying job, and he had 700h TT with about 500 tailwheel.

My advice would be 'don't do it'. Don't blend work with play- do a normal four year degree and fly at a flight school on the side- it's alot of work but it is possible and is very rewarding. You'll progress fater also. It's easy to do the MIFR, CPL, and then whatever CFI's you want in less than four years, and take regular uni classes, too.

The 'degree' half of an aviation specific degree is absolutely useless... and employers know this. Besides, if you blow a medical five years from now, you're back at square one. Thus reason for getting a degree (in an independant topic)- just incase the pilot thing dosen't quite take off.

Best of luck

When I was cutting my aviation teeth (many years ago) 300 hrs was fine, not sure now. Spend some time as a CFI and get your ATP and/or CFII and if possible try to get on with a part 135 outfit, preferably flying turbines (props or jet). With the right combination you should build QUALITY hours that will make you more marketable! Good luck and have fun!B|

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Thanks for the info. I thought changing the title to include the word boobies would help but it doesn't seem to be working.

Dunno, I am half way through the program, and I can say honestly that flashing boobs for more altitude is not gonna work for me, call me crazy...:S:P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Dunno, I am half way through the program, and I can say honestly that flashing boobs for more altitude is not gonna work for me, call me crazy...:S:P

If it did work, we could call you "Lesbian".......LOL

B|

I really shouldn't post after many Icehouse
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

I flew in the Air Force and had great training. If you're interested you can't beat it. I think the commitment is up to 10 years now which is way more than when I went through. The flying is excellent but the life is not for everyone.