Gawain

NEWS FLASH!!! -- I'M HOME!! and How "High-class" are Your Problems?

Hello folks!!

It's been a while, and I've been spending most of my time in Speakers Corner, etc. But I thought you should know that on 28 February 2007, I was released from the Medical Holding Company at Walter Reed, "Reason: Medical Treatment Complete" B|

On 1 March 2007, exactly one year to the day I was injured, I reported for duty back at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the home of my beloved 101st Airborne, my guys (1/506th INF), and of course the Parachute Demonstration Team.

Shortly after checking in, I reported to the Air Assault School where the team operates from and started getting oriented. As I was quite the "media talent" while in DC, the team is letting me manage the media relations as we move forward this year.

I start jumping next week, doing what I love to do, with guys I trust...and getting paid to do it too! :)
Regardless of what you may have read in the press, the care I received at WRAMC was outstanding (as is the real common practice) and there are a few here at dz.com whom deserve mention:

Billvon: He and I like to spar in SC, but he is a dear friend to me and was one of my biggest supporters and a key figure in keeping me in touch with people here and especially in getting me back in the air.

matthewcline: The current "elder" on the parachute team, and helped make my return to duty a reality.

armymedic: A quiet on-looker also on the team, and on the face of it, a pretty cool dude.

Sangiro: This is his site. His business. His home. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't know any of you. For that, I'm grateful. From the looks of some of the posts lately, I submit a reset is in order. I have no problems in life if all I can dwell on is how a web-site is run. That is the highest of high-class problems. Attached is my daily challenge, as I have to now make several extra steps before I can either walk or crutch myself to a computer to post-whore myself here. I've no regrets, just submitting some perspective to those who can count to 20 using their fingers and toes. :P

Also attached are some pics from a couple Fridays ago, a bunch of us got to go to Lockheed Martin's Crystal City, VA offices to fly the demonstrators for the F-22 Raptor and the F-35 JSF. Talk about the ultimate video game (it's okay to vent jealousy...don't be shy :P:)) !!!!

So, short version, I'm back! Stop whining, because life is indeed good! And, I got to fly some high-tech simulators! B|B|B|B|:D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I looks like there are sharp bits of bone sticking out that would tear up tissue! That must not be the case, right?

Got rid of the Acura CL watch?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Those bits are called HO - - Heterotrophic Ossification. It's one of the weird medical things that are being observed from this war. There are a few things that are thought to cause it, but there's been no real consensus.

My HO is mild, and is not tearing up anything. However, it has done so in others. Every amputee is diffirent.

I still have the CL watch...it's still in the case. ;)
Make light!

Yes welcome back Max!

My role is nothing to mention, I would do what little I did again for any one of our Team Mates and Friends.

You need to go to General Skydiving where the list of Beer you'll owe next week is being pre-tallied.;)

Media whore? understatement of the week here! You happened to be back 12 hours and had to "handlers" REPORT to you!

Have fun "hanging the curtains and unpacking the bags"! See ya Monday! (unless you want to ride with me to Cullman tomorrow)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Are you saying that this HO is something that hasn't happened to those similarly injured in the past?

You really should take a test drive in an turbo Acura RDX with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Of course it has no clutch, but it has a good feel to it. The Civic Si and Fit sport model also have the paddles.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=660763
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Slight tangent here, Max, but I wonder why they don't just install a titanium (or whatever) cap over the end of the bone. Same for below the knee amps. You know, something to tie the tib and fib together and prevent future tissue damage. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Glad to see you back in the groove. You look like a member of Aryan Nation with that shaved head though!. Grow a bit of hair, boy!:P You know 6-71 DOES allow it.

Welcome home Max!

I wish I was as eloquent as some others in my ability to express my gratitude for your service,

Blue skies bro!

+1

Thank you isn't even close!
PS if you have time to go to lost prairie I'll have a ticket for you (AND LOTS OF BEER)
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Max,

I am so glad to hear that all things are going well for you! Your past year, your courage and determination... a true inspiration! It makes small "ordinary" challenges or temporary setback seem do-able. (but... sometimes it still helps to vent about some of the annoying daily inconviences.... thus the bonfire... so don't be too judgemental of the weaker moments)

Good Luck and Take Care!

and... glad to hear that Walter Reed isn't as the NY Times reports.

I'm so glad you are doing well, Max. I was going to ask you about the Walter Reed report. I'm glad your time there wasn't as bad as they are making it sound. In my opinion, you all should have better digs than Britney Spears in rehab!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Slight tangent here, Max, but I wonder why they don't just install a titanium (or whatever) cap over the end of the bone. Same for below the knee amps. You know, something to tie the tib and fib together and prevent future tissue damage. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

For "Above Knee" (AK) amputees, it wouldn't matter, if the bone is cut back from its full length, it won't fully support the weight. So, a "cap" wouldn't matter. The Sockets are designed so that a portion of support comes from the pelvis (Ramus or Ishial Tuberosity). Those that are "Knee Disarticulated", meaning that their femur is intact, but they're missing the knee and below, a cap isn't necessary because the femur can support full weight.

For "BKs", often they will bridge the Tib and Fib with a piece of bone.

Glad to see you back in the groove. You look like a member of Aryan Nation with that shaved head though!. Grow a bit of hair, boy!:P You know 6-71 DOES allow it.

I'll consider it, but I really like the high-n-tight...especially a good "bic" cut...
Make light!

Welcome back...

Did you get promoted in there somewhere? If not, are you looking to attend a board soon?B|

I should be going to the E5 board April or May. ;)
Make light!

Right after DOC, 30 seconds at least.;)

Matt

Only because he can run faster than me... :P Of course, I might catch him sleeping. :o:) Now where did I put all those drugs from the hospital...hmmm... :D
Make light!

Wecome back, Max! Great to see your high spirits and moving forward abilities! B|

Quick quesiton....is that a clear socket over your left AKA? Or is my eye tricking me (again)?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon