NewGuy2005

Paragliding Question

I paraglide (as do a few others here) so if you have any questions please feel free to ask away.

Thanks. I've been getting interested in para-gliding since last spring when I was in the mountains on my Harley. I stopped to have lunch and was sitting outside in a field when I noticed the shadow of a parachute on the ground. The guy landed about 50' away from where I was sitting and when I went over to talk to him, I learned he had launched 4 hours earlier from the top of a mountain and had been aloft without power since then. I had a chance to speak with him for a few minutes and inspect his navigational gear and canopy. I've been doing some reading online since then. I may decide to try it this Spring. Do you use a powered or unpowered rig?

I prefer hill launch flying and have a Gradient Aspen 2 (which is unpowered).

I have over 400 flying hours to date and my longest flight was last year - 7 hours!! from Chamonix, over lake Annecy to just outside Chambery and back over the lake to the village where we were staying - La Clusaz.

Here was my original thread....clicky

Harley man hey? - this is getting way too spooky!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I have a membership on there and every once in a while try to find a place to learn on the East Coast. I'm a bit indebted to skydiving right now but would like to get into it at some point.

Indebted: Spent so much time and money on something that you can't logically break away to do anything else.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You should also check out Powered paragliding... It's like unending canopy flight, and can be as extreme or passive as you want it to be. What I like best is flying tight, fast, and inches off the ground. My typical Saturdays and Sundays start off with freeflight paragliding in the morning, powered paragliding late morning, then jumping the rest of the day. OK... I'm an air freak.

My buddy and I have a Powered Paragliding website here:
http://www.whitehawkppg.com

Let me know what you think!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

That's me on the Yellow canopy flying up the outside of a cloud near lake Annecy last summer (Actually, that picture just appeared in Cross County magazine and was taken by Bob Drury, an excellent world class pilot and adventurer)

Yes - Tandems are great (I have one too) and give a fantastic Air Experience or training flight. They are very capable of long distance flights.

(.)Y(.)

Thank you

Thats pretty way out there, thats one big cloud to play with, what was going through your mind at the time.

Steve
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Skydive first. I have 3 canopies (Saber, solo PG & tandem PG) they behave differently and so it takes me a while to get my head sorted, but I've just done a skydive canopy course in Spain and am hoping that I now have some transferrable tools and techniques (I hope to find out this weekend, if it's not too windy).

(.)Y(.)

Sorry to bring back this thread but I just have some more question for the para-gliders dudes:)
Did any of you guys ever flight the woopy wing?

I just want to get some more information about that inflatable wing.
All that I've heard about it is that is impossible to stall it. Apparently when you increase the pitch angle and enter a stall it will just go to the neutral angle again. Is that true? During this angle transition back to the neutral angle, does the vertical velocity increase past the usual velocity in the neutral angle?

Edit to add: Just to clarify I'm talking about this woopy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj0ri4PG-i4
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!