bob.dino

Riser Lifetime

I've gotten as few as 400 jumps out of a set of mini-risers and as many as 600. Typically the number people toss around is 500 jumps.

Look at the top of the risers where the links are. Is there a lot of pronounce wear? Does it look kind of like its "melted" on the edges? How about the dive loops (if you use them) are they tearing? How about the bottom of the 2nd ring? Is the webbing wearing quite a bit?

All in all risers are cheap. You can replace them every 500-jumps or so (or every time you get a new lineset, give or take) or you can simply wait till they break. Waiting till they break is the BAD choice. Same with your lineset.;)

When you change the risers or lines, go ahead and replace your slinks.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Someting I noticed on one of my risers recently was the (not entirely sure of the technical name) the "locking loop"!!! for my 3 rings was damaged and about a 1/4 of the loop was torn.

It would seem that the ring on the end of metal cutaway housing had worn through it..

It was easier and cheap'ish to repair..

Probably worth checking as its best not to lose a riser, especially 100ft from the ground.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

The answer to the question of lifetime for skydiving stuff almost always begins with "it depends." Others above mentioned things to look for. I will add "risk factors" that are pretty much the same as for canopies: do you jump in the desert, or in green grass? Do you pack indoors, on carpet, or outdoors in the dirt/sand? Has it been wet? Fresh or salt water?

The best time to inspect risers fairly thoroughly is once a month when you clean and inspect your 3-ring release/cables. You do that don't you??? Have your rigger walk you through both if you need some guidance.

I agree with the generic number of 500 jumps though.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Type 8s... forever, if cared for properly and/or not damaged by some accident.

Type 17s... (a.k.a. mini risers)... replace them every main line-set is a good rule of thumb, which translates into about the #s folks up-post have thrown out on how often to change them. OBTW... if you run across a set of Type 17 risers that is "un-reinforced"... i.e. not reinforced where the gromet is punched thorough the riser... I'd strongly recommend to the owner that they be replaced NOW!

Tandem risers last two or three times longer than main suspension lines. Ergo, I try to replace tandem risers every 600 jumps or 900 jumps, or when they show fraying around the second ring.

For example, I just inspected 20 tandem mains. Eight of them are due for reline (i.e. three inch difference across A lines), but only two or three of them are due for new risers.

Type 17s... (a.k.a. mini risers)... replace them every main line-set is a good rule of thumb, which translates into about the #s folks up-post have thrown out on how often to change them. OBTW... if you run across a set of Type 17 risers that is "un-reinforced"... i.e. not reinforced where the gromet is punched thorough the riser... I'd strongly recommend to the owner that they be replaced NOW!

What about the big fat ones. I choosed to not go for the mini. I dont care that my slider doesn't go down all the way.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

>500 jumps maximum...Period!

Not a bad limit to set. We've seen risers with upwards of 2000 jumps on them that are quite worn but are still hanging on. When Amy points out that they should be replaced, a common reaction is "they wear out?"

What about the big fat ones. I choosed to not go for the mini. I dont care that my slider doesn't go down all the way.

A little bit of Rigging / Gear 101... go checkout:

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=31&level=2&parent=193

1. Scroll down to Type 7 webbing... that's what the main lift web / leg straps are made of on most rigs.

2. Scroll down further to Type 8 webbing... that's what "the big fat risers" are made of / what most all main risers used to be made of "back in the day".

3. Scroll down further still to Type 17 webbing... that's what the "hip" "new" skinny main risers are made of on a large number of rigs today... a lot of chest straps too.

Enjoy!

;)

the people who make them say you should replace them. nice.

on a totally random note. saw you at the airport a few weeks ago. tried to wave you down... but you were talking to someone... I would throw a USPA sticker on my new car... but I dont want anything that makes it uniquely identifiable on it while the police are chasing me...

Muah