jcbfly

SOLO audible alti question

Yes, I did RTFM, but I couldn't find the answer to my question.

I have an L&B Solo audible altimeter and I always turn it on at the DZ before I start jumping, leave it on the whole time I'm at the DZ, and then turn it off when I'm done. Question is: is this necessary, or does the unit "hibernate" on it's own after a set time period? I've been told by a much more experienced jumper that it's OK to just leave it on all the time and "wake it up" before jumping by holding down any key till it beeps. Is that true, or would that just burn the batteries down?

i always forget to turn mine off. i've had it for a few months and still on the original battery. So seems to wrok for me.. but seems to sometimes act weird from elevation changes from home to dz.. so when i remember, i shut it off for a few minutes, then back on before i jump.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I quote from the F***ing manual:

Power OFF
The SOLO can be manually powered OFF to further
extend the battery life time
when not in use.
When powered OFF, SOLO cannot be used for
jumping.
Press repeatedly until the OFF indicator light
illuminates.
Press and hold and until the altitude
warning light display starts to count down (from
65, 60, 55, etc.), then release.
The preset warning altitudes are stored in nonvolatile
memory when the SOLO is powered OFF.

It seems that you can spare some battery-time by turning it off.
The syntax of this sentence is somewhat strange: the life time is extended only when it is off. B| Well, we understand what they mean.

Strange that there is no auto power-off... There is on the pro-track.
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

I am pretty sure they take the same batteries. Look for the CR2325 button batteries. I get mine at radio shack.

Edit: Just noticed you are in the UK. Don't know if you have Radio Shack's there or not. But you can buy the batteries from the L&B site also.
Paddle faster....I hear banjo music

I am pretty sure they take the same batteries. Look for the CR2325 button batteries. I get mine at radio shack.

Edit: Just noticed you are in the UK. Don't know if you have Radio Shack's there or not. But you can buy the batteries from the L&B site also.

I don't know about the L&B but some manual's specifically say NOT to use radioshack or similar brands. There are higher quality batteries made for medical equipment that should be used.

I would ask Adam. my solo 1 never got turned off b/t jumps and battery life was great. solo 2 didn't last long enough for me to see how it would do. Adam has both and I am trading up to a Visio. as I recall I got about 8 months out of a set of batteries... Need to come jump w you guys again!!!

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."