MotherGoose

How do you pack tandems at your DZ ??

I know its bound to happen but I just have not been exposed to it that much. Of course packing fast is not the CAUSE of mals, but you must admit, that's its not helping the situation?? I'm with you guys, I recently explained to a student packer that parachute openings are a lot like the lottery. Mals are very random and at times, unexplainable.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

ahhh the good old xkeys packing mat. Miracles do happen there. Why I remember getting people packed up on a fuel load. I think you can be fast and pack well, but I have to agree with Al. Parachutes are designed to open and sometimes, no matter what you do, they just don't. I've wrapped breaklines together with a rubber band and the tandem still line-overed. The line stows were neat but tension knots still happened. It's not packing quickly that does it. Sometimes a mal is just an "act of god" as one rigger used to call it. Don't hold your breath. You will eventually pack a mal.

Pack a parachute that mal'd. Sure. "Pack a mal" makes it sound like it was your fault though. And packers never admit fault. :P I know it's cliche but I do believe most mals are caused body position. Obviously things like misrouted bridles, step throughs, or an uncocked PC isn't, but line twists and tension knots definitely. I take packing very very seriously, and if someone I pack for tells me they it was a "bad" pack job, I consider that a personal insult, and I fire that customer. I also collect pictures of parachute deployments, and I'm amazed at the absolute tangled rat's nest of lines that can come out if one shoulder is dipped low. So I definitely think tension knots can be caused by body position also. Don't even try to tell me that I "packed" you line twists. That makes me the most mad. Attached is a picture of lines unstowing from a guy with his shoulders about 6 inches off to show what I'm talking about.