pchapman

Lead hazards (shot bags in rigging; weight vests)

Has anyone looked into what degree of hazard there might be from the use of lead in rigging? Anyone care?

The main concern, I would think, would be from shot bags full of lead pellets, where the rubbing pellets would release lead dust that would contaminate the rigging loft. Same applies to handling weights for weight vests & belts. I've build weights with steel shot (but bulkier & rusty) or switched to small plates of lead.

Some shot bags may be plastic lined, but that tends to abrade. When rigging at home, I end up just pulling books off shelves when packing weights are needed. I try to minimize shot bag use, wash my hands, and vacuum (although I'm not sure about particulate size).

While some riggers appear to use weights for better control when packing squares, in other places shot bags are only used for occasionally packing round reserves.

At least the lead seals on reserves shouldn't abrade much. But then a lot of seals get tossed into the garbage instead of being taken to the hazardous waste dump.

There might have been an article in Skydiving in the late 1980s on the subject of lead in rigging lofts. I haven't gotten around to looking into what current industrial practices are for the use of lead.

The rigging loft at our DZ has sand in the packing weights.
I do try to not touch the lead seals since I cannot always easily wash my hands after and the residue will stay on the fingers for a while. And myself I use plastic seals.

With lead weights that get thrown around a lot I would think lining the inside would be a good idea.

I live in Sweden, shops here are not allowed to sell lead seals. They are considered not environmentaly good.
They plastic ones do tend to break the thread more easily though. The lead ones are more malleable.

I'll send you a couple of hundred if you want to try.

That funny...manufactured plastic is considered better for the environment than lead, which is found in nature. However, that may be a discussion for SC.

My question actually pertains to the use of plastic seals in the US. I'm a new rigger here in the USA and I seem to remember that the FAA states that the reserve pack must be sealed with a lead seal.

I'm in the middle of a move from California to Virginia and don't have my books with me. Can anyone shed some light on this for the US riggers? Thanks.

Brian

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

I've thought about this too but have put it in the catagory of "If this kills me or even makes me sick I pretty lucky.";) But now that I have a baby I might care more.:|
Other shot alloys could be used but some also have toxicity issues. Copper plated lead shot is available.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Fortunately... err... actually, unfortunately, I don't need a weight vest anymore... :(... and I'll be sure to quit licking the lead seal on my rig and everyone else's rig when performing a reserve pin-check... :S:P:)

Come-on people! Okay, lead poisioning is "bad", but just because you handle a weight bag with lead shot in it or touch the odd lead seal on a reserve pin from time-to-time doesn't mean you're going to be coming down with lead poisioning any time soon, I'd guess.