MagicGuy

Dog Died, Need Vibes Guys

My 6 month old female Pug went in this morning to get spayed. She was a perfectly healthy Pug and loved by everyone in our family, including our two other dogs - a Pug named Spike, and a German Shepard named Guiness.

I get home from work today and for some reason I knew something was wrong. I walk in my house and I look at my Mom and I can tell she'd been crying. I asked her what's wrong and she said "Cindy Lou is gone".

Fucking bullshit. There was nothing wrong with her. Those vets killed her.

"She went into cardiac arrest on the table" they say. Bullshit. She went for tests to make sure everything was going to be OK. Now my dog is gone. She was only 6 months old, she didn't deserve to die.

I've been trying to find out if we can sue the vet for wrongful death. Anyone know if this is possible?

This sucks so bad.. I always say I'm not going to get upset when my pets die, but this one really hits me hard. :(

I am sad for your loss magicguy.. i love my rescue dogs and have had to put one of them thru many surgerys.
I realize that you are upset, but there is no reason to sue your vet as putting anything under is risky business and can cause cardiac arrest even in the most healthy of animal. It's not bullshit.
I am sure that your vet is also upset but to you it may not seem so.
if you work in the health care industry, animal or human either one you become somewhat callused to death and sometimes don't show that thru emotion.. we can't afford to do that sometimes or we would not last in this line of work.
It is a known fact that there is no such thing as a non risk surgery and that the possiblity of not waking up is a real one for you or your animal.
once again I am saddend by your loss and that really sucks. I know that I am attached to my dogs and call them my dogters as they are my little girls and I spoil them as if they where truly my children.
but please don't hate your vet.. if they could have prevented this death they would have.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I will send you vibes when you retract statements about suing people.

Everything the world needs - another lawsuit. Malpractice goes up, so the next guy has to pay $1000 for a spay operation, then no one gets it done, then we are overrun by dogs, etc etc

Spaying is invasive surgery, opening in the belly, removing organs, large series of sutures, and the anesthesia alone can kill a dog. I am pretty sure that this was explained to you before the surgery.

Suing will not get your dog back and it will not stop the next dog from dying in the same circumstances.

Go to the local shelter and get another dog that needs a home.

TK

Sorry for the loss man. It's never easy even with the ones you've only had a few months.
I agree that you shouldn't blame the vet. A couple friends of mine are vets and trust me when I say it hurts them almost as much as it does you. They are vets because they love animals. Most could make a lot more money as MDs and the schooling is just as tough. Add to that the fact that spaying a female is a lot more radical procedure than neutering a male. It's very invasive and involves removal of internal organs.
Take some time to grieve. It's perfectly normal to get mad for a while, I always did. In a few days you'll be able to better accept her passing. Try to keep your chin up!

Sorry for your loss. [:/] I lost a cat a few years back, and a friend lost his rabbit recently when (t)he(y) went in for surgery, but it's not the vet's fault (different vets). They do everything they can for the animals that are brought to them, and I'm sure they're not happy about your pup passing away.

Again though, I am sorry. My condolences go out to you. :( I just lost a co-worker last week (he drowned while on vacation), so I know a little of how it feels to lose somebody close to you.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

I hate to say this, but you are being a bit emotional. I know it sucks, but you remember that paperwork that was signed informing you of the possible risks of surgery? That is if you dropped her off, if not then I will explain.

Anytime any living being put under there is always a risk of dying, thats why there is a waiver signed informing you of this. Sometimes the little underlying problems that have not surfaced will be effected enough by being put under to finally surface at the wrong time.

This is no different for humans or animals, actually it is harder with animals cause they cannot talk.

Do not blame your vet, this was not done on purpose and it happens. If you have concerns you can maybe see if this has happened here on a regular basis, but suing is probably going a bit overboard.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I hate to say this, but you are being a bit emotional. I know it sucks, but you remember that paperwork that was signed informing you of the possible risks of surgery? That is if you dropped her off, if not then I will explain.

Yes I'm being emotional. No I didn't drop her off.

I don't mean to jump down my vets throat but I can't help but think they gave her too much anesthesia. She was a tiny dog in good health. In my eyes, they fucked up.

I'm sorry for being pissed off but what can I do. I just can't believe she's gone. I didn't even get to see her this morning before she left..

I'm sorry for your loss. I hate hearing stories like that, and any time one of my furry friends goes in for a "routine procedure" I can't relax until I know he's out of surgery and awake. Unfortunately, the fact that your puppy appeared healthy and all the pre tests came back normal doesn't mean there wasn't something wrong. Spaying is an invasive procedure (good for most dogs and cats in the long run for a number of reasons) and any time anesthesia is used, there is a risk. I had a cat with a congenital heart condition that wasn't diagnosed until he was 6 or 7 years old. Any surgical procedure could have killed him and like you, I wouldn't have known why. I'm very lucky that his condition was caught almost accidently by a very caring and thorough vet. The diagnosis and treatment gave me a few extra years with a very special pet. I'm sorry your time and your family's time with Cindy Lou was cut so short.

That has to be really tough--and it must really hurt right now. I would be heartbroken and I'm sorry you're going through this.

I don't think anyone is trying to be insensitive when they say that suing isn't the answer, but I have to agree. CAN the vets mess up and cause an accidental death? Sure. But it sounds like you don't really have good reason to believe it was their fault that she died. As you've already heard, surgery just comes with inherent risks. Give the vets the benefit of the doubt on this one and work on healing your wounds instead.
TPM Sister #102

So sorry for your loss. Regarding the lawsuit, I am not going to get into the right or wrong of it, but I do feel that it will drag this painfull ordeal out for you instead of allowing you to greive and then accept. For your own sake, move on and put this energy into caring for a new dog when you are emotionally ready to do so.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I am so sorry for your loss, MagicGuy. You have every right to be emotional about this situation. Although vets and doctors are not infallible, suing is not the answer. I am an attorney and HATE lawsuits. Just know that you loved your pup and her death is NOT your fault. You entrusted her to your vet and more than likely nothing negligent was done to her. Allow yourself time to grieve and move on. One of the other posters suggested you go to the shelter and essentially "save a life" and do it in her name and memory.

Best wishes to you and to your little pup across the rainbow bridge!! :)
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

I don't mean to jump down my vets throat but I can't help but think they gave her too much anesthesia. She was a tiny dog in good health. In my eyes, they fucked up.

I'm sorry for being pissed off but what can I do. I just can't believe she's gone. I didn't even get to see her this morning before she left..

It is understandable you are hurting, and your first instinct is to blame the vet. But take a quick second and breathe. With any anesthesia there is always a risk of having a reaction, there is a risk that the estimated dosage for ANYONE, be it human or animal could possibly not jive with what that beings metabolism can process. This isnt really an exact science, though they have gotten it close.

You are assuming that the puppies heart failed due to over anesthesia, but you are not also factoring in that it could have had a defect that the tests don't show.

I have two dogs, one spayed one neutered, one of them also had to go into major surgery for her knee. I myself have had to get put under 2 times, once for ACL and once for shoulder. Each and every time you sign a waver explaining that there is a risk of possible death with being completely put under. The waivers were really no different, the ones I signed for myself, and the ones I signed for my dogs. Like the ones we sign when skydiving, we are made aware of the possible risks. There can be a lot of contributing factors that caused the death. But it is always easier to assume blame to someone then look at the big picture. For some reason in the human mind this eases pain...though it then harbors more anger towards someone instead of healing the pain of what was lost.

I understand fully you are in pain, you have EVERY RIGHT to hurt, you lost a baby. But blaming doesnt do much good for anyone. But feel free to be sad and upset she is gone....
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I'm so sorry for you loss. this does suck but sometimes things like this can happen. It happend to a friend of mines cat. Same situation. It doesn't make it any easier and for that I'm sorry. I send you and your mother all the VIBES I have.
If I stand on my tip toes, I can see the weekend from here!

Sorry to hear that Corey, my condolences. :( Give me a call if you would like to talk and blow of some steam.

It really sucks to lose a pet, but I don't think it the right thing to go after the vet either.

There is a danger in any surgery, even minor ones.

My grandfather went in for a simple surgery this year, and it started a cascade of events that ultimately led to his passing. [:/]
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

There is little harder than saying goodbye to a loved one, especially with a sudden passing.

It's very hard, even if it's a pet. I know; I have lots of pets...and have lost lots of pets, too. And it's really hard, each and every time one goes to the rainbow bridge.

My condolences to you, Corey, and I hope you can find some peace after this initial wave of anger and loss are past. Yes, I know about being angry at vets; I understand that betrayal, and that anger. And yes, I understand the responsibility part, too. But the truth is, there is nothing that can be changed. So now, grieve Cindy Lou, love her in your heart. And let the anger evaporate and melt away; it will, eventually. And you'll come to accept this; maybe not understand it, but accept it.

And then, when the time is right...there will be a dog out there that looks at you, and you look at it...and you'll know. This is the one Cindy Lou sent over, this is the next one you're supposed to love and to grow with. And you'll give that pup a delightful home, and give it all the love it needs.

I am soooooo very sorry...hugs, vibes, and prayers to you and yoru family. This is a really hard loss.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~