MotherGoose

Packing Precision Aerodynamics chutes ???

Namely the Nitron . . . is it more or less difficult to pack these canopies that have the continuous Technora line configuration?? Im interested in this canopy in the future but I wonder if the lack of cascades in the suspension lines has a dramatic effect in packing it??
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I've packed a brand spanking new pilot 150 about 10 times now with no major complications, I mean its slippery as a MOFO but I get the job done. I wouldn't have a problem with new ZP, i'm just having trouble picturing the line sets on a continuous line configuration and separating them for a propack. I may be making a big deal out of nothing, obviously you are indicating that there is no major difference.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I've packed a brand spanking new pilot 150 about 10 times now with no major complications, I mean its slippery as a MOFO but I get the job done.

Been there, it sucked bigtime.

I wouldn't have a problem with new ZP, i'm just having trouble picturing the line sets on a continuous line configuration and separating them for a propack.

Have you used the help of the slider?

I packed Xaos21 and Velocity too. I have not noticed any difference in packing, except they were 7 cells and I have way to more packs on 9cells.

Other thing you might take a soft pen and color code your lines. I have not done this but seen on a Navigator.

There is no stupid question if its unique ;).

>is it more or less difficult to pack these canopies that have
>the continuous Technora line configuration??

I have found no difference between packing canopies with continuous and cascaded lines. I find the Nitro (not Nitron) material is a bit less slippery, and easier to pack, than your run of the mill PD ZP material.

So if I'm looking to buy a 170 for my next 200 or so jumps, would you guys recommend the Nitron?? I've flown a Crossfire II 169 for about 6 jumps now and it is ridiculously fun to fly. But I've heard great things about the Nitron.

I've jumped a few larger Nitros and I like them. Very stable in brakes, moderate opening speed (which I like; I have 1000 foot snivels) and good amount of lift in the flare. You can also replace a line set by yourself without any sewing, which I think is really cool.

>HUH ?? That sounds a bit odd ?? Could you elaborate ?

Not much to elaborate. Since the lines are not cascaded, you don't need to sew or cut anything to remove an old line set and put a new line set on. Just take the slinks/links off, unthread the lark's-head at the top, re-lark's-head the new lines, and put the slinks back on. (The brake lines are a two-step process but same basic idea.)

>is it more or less difficult to pack these canopies that have
>the continuous Technora line configuration??

I have found no difference between packing canopies with continuous and cascaded lines. I find the Nitro (not Nitron) material is a bit less slippery, and easier to pack, than your run of the mill PD ZP material.

I think the Niton material may be even more slippery than a Pilot. It sure sucked ass when I packed the 170 rental from Action Air a couple of years back. Stupid me...wanted to pack the same one I was renting. I like (or should I say, don't quite so much hate) packing my Sabre-120 into a 150 d-bag.

My Nitron packed easily, the non-cascaded HMA lines don't change packing difficulty other than that since they're so thin they tangle more easily. My Xaos is the same story except that it's bulkiness makes it harder to control.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I did hear that the Technora lines are super thin, does everyone think this is an improvement or more of a liability?? Buying the right canopy is a big deal, I don't want to make the wrong choice. When you say the thin lines tangle more easily, do you mean while stowing or when you actually pro pack ??

(edited for spelling:$)

You'll find that straightening the lines from the risers up before lifting the canopy for a propack sometimes involves a tangle that wouldn't occur with thicker lines. Just an occasional nuiscance, don't worry about it. I think that non-cascaded HMA lines are the best thing going for several reasons, the exceptions being competitive swooping and high-abrasion environments.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

There are DPRE's out there ( and in here) that contend that replacing a main line set requires a master rigger rating. Other believe it requires any rigger rating. And many old timer's that are manufacturers believe that anyone can do it.

And of course the FAA's position depends on which inspector or headquarters staff member you talk to.

But there are long and vociferous (the word for today is vociferous:)
At least all should be aware that doing it wrong will have serious consequences.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>There are DPRE's out there ( and in here) that contend that
>replacing a main line set requires a master rigger rating. Other
>believe it requires any rigger rating. And many old timer's that are
>manufacturers believe that anyone can do it.

Yep. Ironically, a typical jumper with no FAA-issued tickets has the least to lose doing this, and so in a regulatory sense is "safer" than a senior rigger replacing a line set.

HI There! After reading the replies that you've gotten so far, I would like to give you my "Dos Centavos"...
I think it's easier to stow non cascaded lines...what I mean is, it's easier to keep them neat and orderly. I find that on cascades, when I get to the cascaded part of the lines, the bight (stow) seems to always have a few hoops, and strays sticking out.

As far as packing, my Xaos is a pain! But WELL worth it!

Thanks for your "zwei Cents" . . . do you prefer the thinner lines? Do the lines increase canopy performance?

Yes I do prefer thinner lines. It's simple Physics to "see" the benefit of the smaller profile...but then, with continuous lines, there are more of them. So I kinda feel like it evens itself out.