wildfan75

Is 1 year and 1 day in the sport considered...

I did my first freefall on 5/5/06, and as my skyversary approaches, I'm trying to decide if, after my 1st skyversary, I should still have my profile as 1 year in the sport or should I edit it to say that I have 2 years in the sport.

So, what do you think? Do you consider 1 year and 1 day as 1 or 2 years in the sport?

And don't worry, I will shut up and jump! I'm trying very hard to hit 200 by 5/5/07. Any financial contrabutions to my quest are appreciated:)

That's a toughie! Ya made me think of how long I've been part of it all and how it all adds up...

I did my first tandem on april 7th of 2002. I'm coming up on five years, but i've already indicated that i've been at it that long. Hell, I didn't start AFF until later that summer. And it took me almost 6 months to finish those 7 jumps.

So, when was I technically a skydiver? When I did my first one? When I did my first solo?

Just to put the numbers in perspective, I'd say that you've got one year in the sport. 200 jumps a year is a pretty good pace. Add a second year and your average drops significantly and you appear less experienced.

So, one year and one day is just that. :P Keep up that pace!!
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

Well, if it was a birthday, you would be 1 year old and would continue to be until your second birthday. It's also 1 year's worth of experience. It's one year in the sport. That's what I think.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

the birthday analogy brings it pretty much into perspective, same camp of thinking here, thats why my profile doesnt list number of years, because I have not been jumping a year yet.

on my sky b-day (july 21)mine will read 1
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

200 jumps in your first year is better then almost anyone on here. Better then almost anyone anywhere.

Be proud of your young status. you have so many good things on the horizon, all yet to come. So much learning and excitement.

I sometimes wish I could be in the place you are now.

I wish I had boobies to, but then I would never leave the house.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I wonder if Sangiro would be bothered to change the profile set up so we could enter months along with the years in the sport?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

hardly seems necessary billy, when someone asks you how old someone is, you never ever hear so and so years and whatever months.

seems simple enough, the way it is now IMO, if you been jumping a year put one when you make two put that......... so on K.I.S.S.
Perry Farrell

I hit my third sky birthday on 24 March of this year... I'd have to say you've got another year before you can say you've got 2 years in the sport...

btw: I only did 60 jumps in my first year... and unfortunately haven't quite cracked the 200 jumps in a year mark yet... I ought to this year though... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I wasn't trying to claim anything that I don't have yet, just trying to figure out what is proper and putting 2 years didn't seem right. I actually have more than 160 jumps. That number doesn't include my 2 tandems or my 5 s/l jumps. I could use my s/l jumps in my number, but that pushes my skyversary back to 4/22. S/L jumps are just as valid of jumps as AFF, if they weren't they wouldn't count towards licenses, but my 1st FF is like the day I was born. It was like kicking the training wheels off the bike and really riding it.

I wonder if Sangiro would be bothered to change the profile set up so we could enter months along with the years in the sport?

why not change it so that you can't even register until you've had a full year in the sport? the n00bs and whuffos could still read and learn, but if they had a question, they'd have to search.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

well, according to USPA it is my 3rd year of membership, even though my skybirthday is October 14, 2005 . figure that one out. heehee. ok ok, i know, it is going by the year, not my membership date. 05, 06, 07. heehee. but it is still funny. .. does that mean if i get 500 jumps, i can already get my tandem rating?
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

well, according to USPA it is my 3rd year of membership, even though my skybirthday is October 14, 2005 . figure that one out. heehee. ok ok, i know, it is going by the year, not my membership date. 05, 06, 07. heehee. but it is still funny. .. does that mean if i get 500 jumps, i can already get my tandem rating?

They go off calendar years and start at 1 - I started on 10/10/2005, and will be in my 13th year of membership before 5/31/2007 when I renew.

I'll update my years-in-sport after 10/10/2005 and number of jumps after I get my pro-track fixed and start counting again.

I think I got my 10 year certificate from USPA after I'd actually been skydiving 10 years though.

my 1st FF is like the day I was born. It was like kicking the training wheels off the bike and really riding it.

did you get a tattoo ? :)

No[:/], but the thought has crossed my mind. I have a few already but I'd have to figure out exactly what I want and where I want it. Then there's the mandatory 2 year waiting period that I self-inflict. We'll see.

I wasn't trying to claim anything that I don't have yet, just trying to figure out what is proper and putting 2 years didn't seem right. I actually have more than 160 jumps. That number doesn't include my 2 tandems or my 5 s/l jumps. I could use my s/l jumps in my number, but that pushes my skyversary back to 4/22. S/L jumps are just as valid of jumps as AFF, if they weren't they wouldn't count towards licenses, but my 1st FF is like the day I was born. It was like kicking the training wheels off the bike and really riding it.

a jump is a jump, is a jump. regardless of the config. in which you exit the aircraft, tandem, S/L, or whatever. certainly you could not tell a tandem student that they haven't jumped, as this would be an incorrect statement, thus their sky B-D.

oh, your profile is a lie you haven't been jumping for a year:P
Perry Farrell

Were you one year old on the day you were born?

Some would say that she was nine months old ish

Dave

Uh oh. I can see where this is going. Way to turn my innocent thread into an abortion issue and get it moved to the speaker's corner! Let the discussion begin on whether a human being is a person immediately after conception or at birth!!!

:D:D:D

Yeah, I don't know why they don't have an option to just put in your first jump date... It would automatically update then... Just as if you had put your age in, so I'm sure there must be an easy way of modifying it.
Gravity Waits for No One.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't have an option to just put in your first jump date... It would automatically update then... Just as if you had put your age in, so I'm sure there must be an easy way of modifying it.

There is a suggestions forum... you might consider posting something in there...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

There is a suggestions forum... you might consider posting something in there...

but then what about the people who took some time off, and don't count that in their number of years jumped?
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720