countzero

what year did cars with carburators stop being made?

anyone know what year manufacturers stopped making cars with carburators and switch to electronic fuel injection as mandated by the government. i've always thought it was 1983 but a friend at work says it wasn't till 1987.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i've got $10, err half a jump ticket, riding on this.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

1987 was the first wear for most cars to go fuel injected. There was still a few manufacturers that made carburated cars untill 1991.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-parts-roundup.htm

From the article:

The last carburetor-equipped car came off the assembly line in 1990. Since then, fuel injectors have been the primary means of getting gasoline into the engine cylinder so it can combust and you can drive.

I think that you both loose, though, he's more correct.

anyone know what year manufacturers stopped making cars with carburators and switch to electronic fuel injection as mandated by the government. i've always thought it was 1983 but a friend at work says it wasn't till 1987.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i've got $10, err half a jump ticket, riding on this.

GM used the Quadrajet on passenger cars from 1965 through 1990, with later versions having closed loop mixture control.

The 1990 Suburu Justy was also carbuerated.

Mandated by the government??? No. They went away because fuel injection works a hell of a lot better, especially when you are trying to keep emissions down and gas mileage up.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Mandated by the government??? No. They went away because fuel injection works a hell of a lot better, especially when you are trying to keep emissions down and gas mileage up.

It wasn't a fuel delivery system law per se, but it was fuel efficiency and emissions standards that ensured the migration away from carburetor, especially as more control was required to manage fuel and air flow.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It wasn't a fuel delivery system law per se, but it was fuel efficiency and emissions standards that ensured the migration away from carburetor, especially as more control was required to manage fuel and air flow.

Precisely, and those emission standards continue to drive fuel delivery method technology. Automakers have to find new ways to save power, b/c if you take an engine one year, and have to reduce emissions on the next. Two things will happen, power will go down, and fuel consumption will go up. Then why are we seeing greater MPG than cars built in the 60s? Because automakers find other variables to effective use power and reduce parasitic losses.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

in the us it was between 1983 and 1990 they fased out carbs - ford and gm still make cars with carbs for export to counties with no emission laws - the big three also make cars and trucks with little or no emissions that are not sold in the us anymore or never like the chevy luv pickup (not sold here for a long time) if you visit a 3rd world country you will see models that you have never seen in the us made by GM and ford - i have worked on cars for 25 years and when i was in equador i did not know about half the models from chevy

Precisely, and those emission standards continue to drive fuel delivery method technology. Automakers have to find new ways to save power, b/c if you take an engine one year, and have to reduce emissions on the next. Two things will happen, power will go down, and fuel consumption will go up. Then why are we seeing greater MPG than cars built in the 60s? Because automakers find other variables to effective use power and reduce parasitic losses.

Big problem with carbs is that they meter fuel in an ineffective manner. Basically what happens is the faster the air flows through the carb the lower its pressure, allowing more fuel to pass through the metering body. No consideration is given to the actual content of the air (humidity, O2 content, etc.) so it becomes a crap shoot whether the mixture is optimum for conditions.
With EFI systems several conditions are constantly monitored and corrections made for. These include exhaust gas content, throttle position, load, transmission status, engine temps, mass airflow, etc. By monitoring all these variables the "brain" of the EFI can adjust fuel delivery to give optimum performance for the given demands whether they be max power or max mpg.
The same technology has enabled high speed diesel engines in heavy duty trucks to exceed 1 million miles between overhauls while nearing 9-10 mpg.

Personally I was glad to see carburators go the way of the dinosaurs. I still remember the cold morning start sequence for my first pickup. Pump the gas three times, pull choke out to 1/2. Once it starts hold at high idle and push choke in slowly as engine warms up. Didn't dare try to move until the temp gauge showed some heat. :P
Does anyone born after 1980 know what it's like to try to start a flooded engine? :D