VanillaSkyGirl

Boobies...ok, not really, but please help me. (It's for my class, tonight!)

Hello everyone,
I would appreciate it, if you could take five minutes of your time to take a survey regarding the LAUSD schools. This survey is due in a few hours with results and not enough people have taken it, who are within the district. Even if you are not in L.A., please take my survey.

Here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=124093513345

Feel free to send anyone the link above, especially if they live in L.A. or have children that attend the Los Angeles Unified School District schools.

Thank you!
~Rosa

Those poor students are going to be wearing uniforms by the time we're done with them. :ph34r:

But that's a good thing! I don't have kids, but it keeps them seperated on the school grounds from those that shouldn't be there. No?

Most of the schools here use uniforms.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Those poor students are going to be wearing uniforms by the time we're done with them. :ph34r:

Nothing Wrong with that.

Done Rosa
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Only the private schools wear them here. It's been suggested before, but most parents don't want to do it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Only the private schools wear them here. It's been suggested before, but most parents don't want to do it.

Why? Think of how much money they would save in new school clothes. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Nothing Wrong with that.

Done Rosa

Thank you. I am a bit embarrassed by the looks of my survey. I am having MAC problems, and I couldn't edit or correct typos on that website due to my MAC's issues. Anyway, thanks for taking the test. :$

In my research, I found that Mayor Villaraigosa has a plan to take control of LAUSD schools, specifically the underperforming schools. He calls it "The Schoolhouse", and one of his many suggestions for reform is for the public school students to be required to wear uniforms as a means of community and pride.

Personally, I attended private, Catholic schools throughout my elementary and secondary education. (Yes, I wore a Catholic schoolgirl uniform.) It really is not THAT bad, Andrea. :P

Here's what I wrote in your comments:

Do not allow teachers to 'coach to the test'. These practices allow schools to beat the system of standardized testing without promoting true learning.

If test questions will be studied PRIOR to taking the standardized tests, require teachers to thoroughly teach the subject, rather than teach memorization of answers.

I feel VERY strongly about that. The kids up here are harassed and stressed to their very breaking point about these damn standardized tests, asking crap questions that were never studied, except 'for the WASL'.

WASL WASL WASL. (They pronounce it 'Wassle'). That's all that matters up here. >:( It's the school's platform for keeping state funding. It's complete crap; my daughter is stressed beyond belief every time...it's just bogus. >:(

I'll tell you how COMPLETELY BOGUS standardized testing is: they make my SONS take the WASL!! That's right...my sons that cannot speak, read, write, comprehend, yup. They make the teachers create a 'WASL' for them and it must cover the areas of reading and math, even if the student cannot read or comprehend. That tells you right there that it is BS...:S

I'm a bit bitter; sorry love. Continue on with your lovely report. :)

One other thing that I DIDN'T express on there that I think is possible...in regards to the question about poorer schools and trying to get better quality teachers out there...some poorer schools (at least up here) are in some rough neighborhoods. Places I personally wouldn't want to work in. To incentivise 'good' teachers to work in a less-than-desirable environment, I'd highly encourage school systems to take a look at the following:

* Implement a TEACHER GRADING SYSTEM. This needs to be comprised of data from their peers, from students, AND from parents. That way, teachers in the top 10%, or what have you, will qualify for bonus. Then additionally...

* Encourage top teachers to work in poorer school districts with something similar to 'hazard pay'. -I know that sounds terrible, but you need to compensate a teacher that is risking him/herself and his/her property by taking a job in a less desirable neighborhood. It isn't right that a teacher in Mercer Island public schools is paid the same amount as a teacher in Renton Skyway area (apologies to SeaKev that works in skyway. :D)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Veering way off topic, but anyway. My kid had to wear uniforms in junior high (public school). He complained about it at first but before long he liked it. As a parent, I definitely liked it - they weren't expensive and there was no more "but I NEED those $50 pants to be cool." ;)

In my research, I found that Mayor Villaraigosa has a plan to take control of LAUSD schools, specifically the underperforming schools. He calls it "The Schoolhouse", and one of his many suggestions for reform is for the public school students to be required to wear uniforms as a means of community and pride.

Personally, I attended private, Catholic schools throughout my elementary and secondary education. (Yes, I wore a Catholic schoolgirl uniform.) It really is not THAT bad, Andrea. :P

I went back and did the survey after VSG inspired me with the mental image of her in her skool uniform. :$:$
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!