Calvin19

Paraglider D-bag.

I love it. Every time you post you seam to have an even scarier idea. You remind me of my self some times. You may have trouble even doing a d-bag. The line attachment points really do suck on those things. It may not like the shock loading. Eaven just falling to line streatch might blow them. I have seen the video of roll overs but I think the swinging motion saved him a lot of the shock.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

PGs have been d-baged off of balloons, ultralights and even tandem paragliders and a far as I know, seem to work find.

Talk to Chris at Superfly in Sandy UT.

www.superflyinc.com
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

This is a big interest of mine that I hope to pursue once I get more experience.

If you are not that concerned about cross-country performance, I think a very large zero-porosity skydiving canopy would be worth a look. If you just want to stay up a long time, all that matters is sink rate, does it not?

any specs for me to make my dbag for my paraglider?

it needs to have reliable attatchment points on either side.

thanks!

Have you made any progress on your d-bag idea?

I'm on a similar track and you may find my design of interest. It is intended for multiple deployment environments, including free-fall (with adaptation).

Contact me if you'ld like.
[email protected] dzp

The biggest problem is that most para-gliders lack the reinforcing tapes to survive high-speed openings.

Sewing a deployment bag is easy, less than half a day.
Sewing all the reinforcement tapes to a para-gliding canopy would take weeks.

If you really want to para-glide from an airplane, ask some of the military-industrial-complex factories that sell specialized canopies for military HAHO (High Altitude High Opening) jumpers.

Oh! ... and a handful of factories have sewn para-gliding canopies that were strong enough for deployment from airplanes. but they were so bulky and expensive that they never sold significant numbers.

The bottom line is that you should start with a para-glider that is strong enough for high-speed deployments.

I don't think Calvin's on here anymore, but yeah - he's done it successfully. I'm in line...

any specs for me to make my dbag for my paraglider?

it needs to have reliable attatchment points on either side.

thanks!

Have you made any progress on your d-bag idea?

I'm on a similar track and you may find my design of interest. It is intended for multiple deployment environments, including free-fall (with adaptation).

Contact me if you'ld like.
[email protected] dzp

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

Thanks for the info. Got me right where is should have been months ago.

It is good to see that people are working out the details. The more people show interest the more likely well get to the next level of para-play.

Until then, i'll be working on an alternative through the use of canopy transfer, to deliver the paraglider, in a stress free manner. A d-bag will be in show-and- tell mode soon, it will work for both freefall and direct-bag drops from sub-terminal aircraft. A key feature is stress free removal of the lines and wing from the bag.

You can find a link for para-swap at www.dahlendesigns.com

Calvin's system was/is pretty cool... He's doing a paraglider transfer, d-bagging off a skydiver under an open canopy after an attached Mr. Bill. After the main skydiving canopy is open, he connects the d-bag to the dude flying the canopy, cuts away from him, and deploys the glider out of the d-bag. The Name: Mr. Frank (named after our friendly neighborhood DZO).
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

I see there have been some interesting additions,
great to see someone else with freefall deployable
paraglider on the mind.
How big was the slider you used?
D-bag-development drops of mine have gone well
and I'm about to involve a slider since the next level of air speed, 2-3 second from the balloon will exceed my comfort limits. Not quite ready for freefall
but getting close.
A tandem slider seems too large
and there is another consideration, headings. Base people tell me the slider can affect headings. An additional consideration of mine is the wing tips being drawn in and going a-symmetrical. Got a
possible solution but no trials yet.
Openings have been great so far and the bag is letting the wing go with minimal stress or resistance, almost beating line snatch.
You can see the drops on youtube,,
username paraaz07
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=paraaz07&view=videos

DZ's could really get a boost in the arm by attracting
people from the paragliding community, since freefall deployed paragliders is the future of paragliding for flatlanders and the road weary who don't want to drive hours to gamble on conditions.
Cross-coutry jumps will take on a new meaning.
The bag i'm designing will make the wing package small but let the wing out with minimal stress. Managing fallrate is the plan so the slider is less critical with deployment speeds nearer to the wings' design norms. An off the shelf paraglider will do it.

I'd sure be interested to hear how well the paraglider,
used for that jump, held up and what wing was used.

This great image of inflation was captured by Aussie Michael during the second drop. Thanks Mate dzp