shropshire

Any 6 Sigma folk out there?

Hi,

I'm an IT project manager in the U.K (Prince 2-ish) and after working with some American chums over the past year or so, suddenly feel the need to become 6 Sigma accredited (possibly Lean 6 Sigma - not too sure yet).

Can anyone recommend a training course and exam/certification company (On-line), please?

Cheers,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I just took the green belt certification from sixsigmaonline.com. Easy to use and nice interface.

If you take the green belt and pass, they will offer the black belt at the difference of the cost. Nice diploma and sent out some nice extras too!

My company paid for mine so I didn't really research the cost too long..

Let me know how it goes!

Clint~
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

My company at the time paid for me to take the yellow belt training. I really feel like it is all a fancy way to present things that should be common sense. I don't need a fishbone or X-Y matrix to tell me that some other department is holding things up. Just stop and use your common sense and you'll figure it all out. My $0.02.

My company at the time paid for me to take the yellow belt training. I really feel like it is all a fancy way to present things that should be common sense. I don't need a fishbone or X-Y matrix to tell me that some other department is holding things up. Just stop and use your common sense and you'll figure it all out. My $0.02.

OK I can see where your logic is flawed now:D:D:D:D the use of the word "common" in common sense has a different meaning to what you may think it does. Because it sure as hell isn't "to be expected; standard" it's more akin to
Common = of low or inferior quality or value

:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That crap makes me cringe! I have spent the last 4 years of my life hearing about Six Sigma but never a profesor reallying explaing it. I guess that is why Industrial Engineers get a bad rap.

Good thing I doubled up and got a Mechanical Engineerign degree too!
"... and I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it...."

I'm a black belt, but we have our own in-house class. It's a way of looking at things more than anything. Can be very useful if you're frustrated with how long things take, or how many errors you have. But it's not appropriate for everything.

We used the George group; they don't offer online, but they have a bunch of very understandable books that you can get. They might be useful.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One thing to keep in mind is that if you spend money on an institutions program it looks good on your resume, but, most organizations are going to require you to get your belt from thier program. The most sought after program today is in LEAN, but the SS and DMAIC blts will also take you places.
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

I hear what you're saying (I have the experience and common sense (?)) but I'm after some additional PM qualifications on my C.V.

Thanks.

Usually they want to see Six Sigma on your resume to know you have worked on some in house projects using the training that was given to you.

There is a big push for all PM types to have process improvment (CMMI is another) and structured methodology in their background (PMP). It just makes it easier to believe what your experiences on your CV claim. So without direct practical use of something like 6 Sgima, it tends to lose a bit of the eye candy aspect during the hiring process. The only reason I would go off and get it on my own is because you have the years of experience and finally want to get the formality of it out of the way. It never hurts to show you have aspired for continued education in your career, but the standalone certification without the experience won't be as huge as you think. TBH, I would go for an MBA before either one of those.

Thanks and I agree.. Coming from an IT development background, I have direct industry experience of SSADM (yes I'm that old:)
Our compant standard is based around Prince-2 and today I heard thatthere is a movew towards LEAN 6-Sigma, so it looks like I'm moving in the right direction.

Thanks alot for all of your input peeps - much appreciated.B|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I have gotten my yellow belt in Six Sigma Lean, and my understanding is you need to use it on a project to get your Green Belt, at least in my company. So just taking the courses only works up to a point where that real world experience must take you to the final stages of Black Belts.

I like what I have learned so far, yes, some of it is obvious to anyone with software engineering courses, but there are some great simple tools that are taught that can help in many situations to clarify matters.
MP

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

My company is sending me on one of these courses next week so in preparation I thought I'd try and find out what six sigma actually is.

So far, all I've managed to find out is that 6 sigma appears to be the result of a large explosion in a corporate buzz word factory.

Anyone have a Bollocks to English dictionary I can borrow? I might need one.

> I'm a black belt

Hey girl, I've heard of this 6 Sigma in the halls of NASA, never thought about it much. Sounds like some kind of Martial Arts training.

So, when you get frustrated you give them a hand chop across the neck, and say, "get her done":P