penniless

Flat screen TVs - what type?

Really depends on your personal preferences, as far as the tech, & 'bells & whistles' also depends on your signal source. Most folks don't need the ED over HD, or the additional cost for it. But as far as Brands, either way you can't go wrong with a Philips/Magnovox!:)
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

I own a very expensive Sony 42" Plasma that I purchased several years ago. Plasma is best for large TV's. LCD is best for computer or small TV's.
I have only 3 suggestions. Make sure it has built in speakers and if I were going to buy another one I'd but it at Sam's or Walmart for the cheapest price could find.
I know all the technical crap about plasma and LCD. But I advise comparing them by playing the same movie on each and trust your eyes. The one that looks like it has the best picture to your eyes does and will when you get it home. If it looks washed out, grainy, or faded it's because it hasn't held up to the use in the store.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

I own a very expensive Sony 42" Plasma that I purchased several years ago. Plasma is best for large TV's. LCD is best for computer or small TV's.
I have only 3 suggestions. Make sure it has built in speakers and if I were going to buy another one I'd but it at Sam's or Walmart for the cheapest price could find.
I know all the technical crap about plasma and LCD. But I advise comparing them by playing the same movie on each and trust your eyes. The one that looks like it has the best picture to your eyes does and will when you get it home. If it looks washed out, grainy, or faded it's because it hasn't held up to the use in the store.

While i agree with Trey to an extent. I have my own feelings. I won a 42'' Plasma a while back if i were buying a TV i would get LCD. It costs a little more but it does blacks better and it won't "shadow" meaning it won't hold onto the outlines of images in the black. Also LCD TV's have a longer life span. All in all when my Plasma Dies i will be buying a LCD but i will also be going to the store and looking at them like Trey said.

If you have a brandsmart take a look there. they have really good deals.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

While i agree with Trey to an extent. I have my own feelings. I won a 42'' Plasma a while back if i were buying a TV i would get LCD. It costs a little more but it does blacks better and it won't "shadow" meaning it won't hold onto the outlines of images in the black. Also LCD TV's have a longer life span. All in all when my Plasma Dies i will be buying a LCD but i will also be going to the store and looking at them like Trey said.

Actually, plasmas do blacks better and are generally more colour accurate in general. Furthermore, LCDs do not really have a longer lifespan anymore. If anything, a plasma can outlast an LCD these days, since LCD backlights haven't improved much.

Comparing a good plasma to a good LCD, plasma is going to have better image quality. LCD is better only in that it doesn't glare in a bright area, and is totally impervious to burn-in... but plasmas are pretty tough to burn in with modern units.
cavete terrae.

To echo Grue's comment, I found Plasmas deal with blacks better than LCD's. In dark scenes, shadows tended to be made up of blocks rather than pixels. Also I found that Plasmas dealt with colour gradients better than LCD's. Regarding the opening scene of Capricorn One which shows the sun slowly rising behind the launchpad, LCD's tended to show several radial steps from the orange to black gradient, whereas the plasmas dealt with it much better.

If your going for anything less than 42", I'd recommend LCD's. If it's 42" or more then spend as much as you can afford on a Plasma. It really is a case of you get what you pay for. Avoid the cheap / budget end for plasmas and LCD's. You may feel like your saving money but when you see the picture quality you'll realise that you've wasted that money.

One final thing to consider is the reflectiveness of the screen. Nothing ruins a movie more than the sun shining a 50/50 split on the film your trying to watch.

If I could build my ideal Flatscreen it would have the casing of a Samsung, the picture quality of a Panasonic, the sound of a Sony and the screen of a Toshiba. In the end it's all up to you though.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

For the money I'd go with DLP. I own two Samsungs and have been very happy with them. First one was a 50" and my new one is 61". They're unable to hang on a wall but are only about 14" deep. My new sammy has a 10000:1 contrast ratio and produces really nice blacks and does 1080p resolution with the right signal coming in i.e. Blu-ray. I plan on having it professionaly calibrated once I get a new A/V receiver, a better subwoofer and what else? Oh yeah, pay for my upcoming wedding:D

The down side to DLPs are bulb replacement (once every 2-3 years about $170 i think) and something called rainbow effect. A small percentage of people see a trail of red/blue/green if moving their eyes from something like white text to a black backround. I'm included in that small percentage but it's not a deal breaker. My Fiancee and friends don't see it at all.

Check out vanns.com for great service and fast shipping. They got my TV to me on a Friday when I placed the order on a Monday.

Cheers,
Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Just finished paying off my 32" Sony Bravia 1080i LCD HDTV. (interest free). Love it! Got the extended warrenty as well just in case...:)
Had my last Sony tv (27" heavy monster) for about 20 years. It finally gave up the ghost.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Actually, plasmas do blacks better and are generally more colour accurate in general. Furthermore, LCDs do not really have a longer lifespan anymore. If anything, a plasma can outlast an LCD these days, since LCD backlights haven't improved much.

Comparing a good plasma to a good LCD, plasma is going to have better image quality. LCD is better only in that it doesn't glare in a bright area, and is totally impervious to burn-in... but plasmas are pretty tough to burn in with modern units.

1080i LCD TV regardless of the size. Then again, I'm only banking on all of the research, testing, and sales information of a few of the largest manufacturers of both LCD and Plasma TVs. Those companies say LCDs last longer and have fewer returned units. No, I can't provide the data to you because I'd get fired.

You could go with 1080p, but it will be a while before there's enough support to make it mainstream. Then again, if you don't mind spending the money, it'll cover everything you need for a while. I'd do 1080p personally.