MaVriK

Canopy Packing

So here i sit about to do my last coach jump and A license check out dive this coming weekend. I have yet to jump my own pack job (although i packed my cousins and she jumped it against my pleading her NOT to...she said it was great). I plan on packing my chute for both jumps this saturday, but i rightfully am kind of nervous about it since I will be the one jumping the pack job.
Just looking for a little insight on doing a good pack job or any acronyms out there to help me remember some steps... I appreciate it in advance!
~MaVriK~
"The Greatest Accomplishment in life is actually Living it"

I am not the guy to answer, but I have two suggestions. First, watch a pack job or two before you do your own, just to refresh yourself on the steps.

Second, take your time and don't rush. It is not a race. Sometimes that bunch of lines and fabric look like spaghetti. Taking a moment helps bring things into focus.

Oh, and be confident. These things want to open, or so I hear. I am surprised everytime they actually work.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I am surprised everytime they actually work.

:D

I'd ask your instructor or an approved school packer to help you on your first effort. They'll point out any major issues with what you're doing.

I'm also not the person to be giving packing advice (your instructors are best and in person) but there are a few major points to packing that should be made clear to you. According to my limited experience and what I've been told by others, much of the detail lower time jumpers concern themselves with really isn't that important as long as it's within the ballpark.

Good luck, we've all been there. ;)

Edit to add: There's a DVD called "Packing made simple" available and you can probably also find "pd packing.wmv" floating around on the net somewhere. I know my school teaches a slightly different method from either of these but they may help you feel more comfortable.

1. Smile, Breathe, Relax. B|

2. See above advice.

3. Remember that most student rigs are rather tolerant of small errors that high performance canopies may tolerate poorly.

4. Remember that if you really screw up... you get a reserve ride. The reserve is designed and packed with reliabilty as the top priority... pretty damned reliable.

5. If you are REALLY worried, see if you can arrange to pull higher than usual. (Be sure to check with your instructors if there is any question about how best to arrange that.) Pulling higher will give you more time to deal with any canopy issues that you have. Planning to pull high may help your anticipatory anxiety too!

6. Smile, Breathe, Relax. B|

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Smile, Breathe, Relax

What he said. I've jumped more than one first pack job. They've all opened.

If you understand what the canopy is supposed to look like when it's open, you're halfway there -- you're just putting it into a bag in a way that will get it to open with a minmum of unevenness.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am not the guy to answer, but I have two suggestions. First, watch a pack job or two before you do your own, just to refresh yourself on the steps.

Second, take your time and don't rush. It is not a race. Sometimes that bunch of lines and fabric look like spaghetti. Taking a moment helps bring things into focus.

Oh, and be confident. These things want to open, or so I hear. I am surprised everytime they actually work.

On the blod point, make sure you are watching the person who taught you how to pack. Just learning, it will totally screw you up watching someone else, because not everyone packs the same exact way and not everyone does all the steps you were taught.

Other than that, follow your instructors guidance and if it makes you feel better, open a little higher. I opened at 4500 on my first pack job, just to ease my mind. GL!

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Smile, Breathe, Relax

What he said. I've jumped more than one first pack job. They've all opened.

Wendy P.

To OP

Yea if im at the DZ and there is a new packer, then im the dummy that test the pack jobs[:/]:S...... Never had a problem. Some are softer than others but they all opened;)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Thanks for all the info! I think i have myself more sketched out about it than i need to be. But i guess i wanna make sure i have all the bases covered. Thanks again to all of ya who responded...

~The humble Noob~
:D

~MaVriK~
"The Greatest Accomplishment in life is actually Living it"

I packed my first malfunction last week, it was awesome as i wasn't jumping it.

Tension knots are all body position anyway.

So are line overs and pilot chutes in tow.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message