brabzzz

PD126R - the real nature of the beast?

It's apparenty a 137(?!) measured the PIA way.

Is it? Does it behave 'bigger' like the 135 or is it very definitly noticably the 'next size down'?

If anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated. It's a comparison of the "126" to the other 135s i'm after...(or a 143 to a 150)...not an invasion by the canopy Nazis! :P

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Is it? Does it behave 'bigger' like the 135 or is it very definitly noticably the 'next size down'?

If anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated. It's a comparison of the "126" to the other 135s i'm after...(or a 143 to a 150)...not an invasion by the canopy Nazis! :P

I've jumped both the PD143R and PD126R at 215 pounds exit weight at sea level.

Both opened consistently and flew in a very predictable manner. Even heavily loaded, the 126 was very easy to flare, and actually refused to aggresively stall when I tested it high up. The landing was in nil winds and was easy to stand up with a progessive flare. Other small reserves I've flown have been very touchy about flaring, and I've seen some collapse entirely on flaring.

I'd highly reccomend both the 143 and 126.

The reserve is measured the same as the main. If you are jumping a PD or Aerodyne 135 main the reserve is smaller then it is.

Personally the PIA charts are outdated since almost no manufactor uses them for their measurements anymore.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Isn't it only PdF And old Icarus canopies that are measured the PIA way?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The best way to find out how one flies is to order a demo. One of the best pieces of advice I received from my S&TA was just to demo one. PD will send you one for a small fee(I believe around $25 plus shipping or something) it comes on risers. You just disconnect your main and D bag and connect up the demo. I personally feel everyone should demo jump their reserve or atleast one of the same size and make so you know how it really flies before your under yours with not alot of altitude to test it or time
Kirk

Great advice indeed - but i reckon that's gonna be a bit more difficult in the UK than it would be in the US! :(

If you can't get a demo in your country, try asking The Parachutecase (www.parachutecase.nl) for their demo, maybe they'll send it to you for week. Presumably that would cost you 30 euro + shipping both ways + something extra if you pay by creditcard.

If you can't get your hands on a PD126R, try jumping a Lightning 126, I found they handle and land pretty much the same.

But according to the Case, their should be a PD demo centre in the UK too:
UK -"Thomas Sport Equipment" - Chris Thomas - Factory Unit Pinfold Lane, Bridlingtoon, East Yorkshire, England,
Tel + 44 126267 8299 - email: [email protected]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Brilliant - I totally forgot TSE has a demo program! Will drop them a line tomorrow. I went up there when i ordered my first rig - it should have clicked really! Cheers for that.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Don't know what container you're using but a Mirage M1 size is quoted as being OK for a PDR126 "a brick" with a PDR 143 in BUT a Smart 150 will go in and a Smart 135 is too small for it. Thats either a big difference in the way the canopies are measured or the Aerdynes have a smaller pack volume per sqM.