charliezulu

MICH/ACH Helmet and Video

This is aimed primarily at the SF, Recon, and SEAL community. Has anyone out there dealt with mounting video on your MICH/ACH helmet? What problems did you encounter? What solutions did you come up with? We're looking at the Black Box and the Sweeet Box right now. We've also looked at a remote lens mounted and wired to a camcorder elsewhere on the body, but haven't seen good reviews on the clarity - has anyone had good results with these?

We're not planning on jumping this configuration, but this community has done more with helmet mounted cameras than anyone else, and I thought I'd start here. Thanks in advance.

CZ

I am not SF, but I used a lip stick camera and fanny pack recorder in Iraq and recently we did the same for the NFL network when the Titans came and did PT with us (we had 2 helmets and Optik and an ACH).

The ACH in Iraq we just put longer screws in the helmet where the chin strap mounts and the camera was right at eye level on the left side. A few small zip ties through the helmet cover added a little security and helped in alignment, it also helped to rout the cable to the center of the back of the helmet. The cable connection was on the fanny pack and was standard plug in out style so it would release if need be in a hurry.

It was rigged a bit funky but worked. The fanny pack was mounted on the back of the IBA above the spare ammo/ordinance and below the extraction handle.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

We have an actual kit that our gear comes in that we used on our helmets. We used the Toshiba lipstick/bullet camera plugged into a Sony clamshell. You can either 100 mph tape them or mount them to the helmet.

I also know a guy who used a typical L bracket and modified it to fit his MICH but it didn't look comfortable to me, his footage was OK. Don't know what your budget is but you can get some decent kits or you can piece it together yourself. I've used the camera and houseing shown on the helmet cam site and it would work good for helmet mount POV ground work, plus it can be velcro mounted(heavy duty strip comes with it) so you don't have to drill anything. It works in freefall but the FOV is too narrow and the resolution isn't the greatest. If you want to piece one together there is a fantastic store to check out. I can't remember the name at the moment but I'll post the web site when I find it.

I've seen Trevors footage and I believe he used a lipstick cam plugged into a PC100. I'm not sure of the camera make.

https://www.jonescam.tv/productInfo.php?pid=31

http://www.helmetcamera.com/?OVRAW=helmet%20cameras&OVKEY=helmet%20camera&OVMTC=standard

http://www.hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=279

http://www.viosport.com/
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

An update. I just ran into a bunch of Combat Camera guys and they are using the Hoyt camera system for POV shooting.They are also using some of the Smaller Sony cameras to record footage to.They say it works and holds up well for them.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING