"Battlestar Galactica" (2003): Not Your Father's Oldsmobile

except for the cigar thing...I don't care how drunk you get the damn things still are vile rolls of donkey turds.

Jeanne, you just haven't been smoking the right ones. A few years ago I got to puff on a bootleg Havana, and suddenly I KNEW what all the fuss was about.

John Player Specials are the finest cigarettes I ever smoked (with Dunhills a close second). Magnify that smoking experience 100x, and you've got Havana.

B|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Right, that's my point. I can account for 11 human cylons so far. If they were indeed multiple copies of only 4 models then that leaves 8 unseen models.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Wow, didn't that hottie cylon mention that they were "sleeper" agent cylons? Computer viruses? Strange parallel to the post 9/11 world we live in, huh?
But forget about that for just a centon. I sure dug how Adama was beating the shit out of the arms dealer cylon with a flashlight. Never saw Lorne Greene do anything like that.
And another thing. How come they don't have any daggits? Or robot daggits? And when's Lloyd Bridges gonna show up on the Battlestar Pegasus & start kicking some cylon ass? Plus they need to bring back that two-eyed cylon that used to work for the old Baltar. The one named Lucifer. Heh heh... By your command....

Definitely not an indoor expereicne, and I quit smoking years ago.

mh

Ohhh, Best buy. Dealing with the Devil is bad.

Hey check this out, true story. My older sister got me this tee shirt back in like 1979, and I only got to wear it once before my mom took it & threw it out. It had a rather phallic representation of the Galactica on it, and a caption which read " Battlestar Prophilactica" (sp?) on it. Bet that would be worth some dough nowadays. Thanks, mom.

Fast forward to early nineties, another true story. One of my favorite cars I used to own, a 1980 GranPrix (huge, like Nimitz class) somehow got the nickname Battlecar Pontiactica among my friends (you can tell I don't have many). It was definitely the cruising party land vessel. It wouldn't go FTL, as they say, but could break 100mph, with only two fingers on the steering wheel. Unfortunately the old hyperdrive V8 went out, so she was decommisioned in about '95, and, if the old girl hasn't been crushed yet, now resides in a salvage yard near Harper's Ferry, WV. Ah, memories...

It also reminded me a lot of Sci-Fi's "Dune" remake, which I thought was very good as well.

I think when Ivan spoke of Dune as being gay, he was referring to the Dino DeLauentis film... Remember... The one that had Sting as a Mentat? He's right, too, that movie was faggy. All that whispering.>:(

The Sci-Fi's remake of Dune was damn good I thought. Beautiful to watch.

Yall make a great point as to how many models there are. I'd assumed that 6 of 9, I mean nexus 6, I mean the hot blond cylon had 11 identical sisters... but that note that Adama got does lead one to believe that there were 12 total design groups... many we haven't seen yet... I had the same thought LouDiamond had, I think the Presidents simpleton aide-boy will turn out synthetic.

I found this version of BSG to be excellent TV. It had an (almost) honest grittiness I liked. Adama beating the hell out of that replicant, I mean humanoid cylon, was a good example. The pres' has breast cancer. The little girl dies 'cause her ship cant jump... Starbuck confesses her sins because it's the end of the word opening the path for the disgrunted son to make peace with dad. Not bad tv. It's got a little E.R. in there...

I also enjoyed the fact that not everything was "futuristic". Adama eating spaghetti, for example. Comforting to know that you can be in a civilization that doesn't really believe in earth, yet you can still get a nice fettuccini alfredo...

It's interesting... During the industrial revolution man feared dehumanization because machines were stronger and more efficient workers. Later, computers were better data based thinkers. Then limited A.I. came around... about the same time that cloning and gene mapping work had some breakthroughs... Mary Shelly was on to something, I think... as was Philip Dick.

It felt to me like a few of the 12 year old kids that loved the original BSG grew up and became filmakers... and made a grown up version of the series.

I felt the same way about LOTR.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Well put, really liked your remarks.

In the original Dune feature film, Brad Dourif played Harkonen Mentat Pieter De Vries, (Sir Freddy Jones played his opposing number on the Atriedes team, Thufir Hawat). Sting played Feyid Ruatha, Harkonen's pet nephew.

mh

Wasn't there supposed to be a part 3 tonight???

Am I wrong, or just confused as usual

Yeah. I thought so too. Checked out the website. Seems there's only 2, 2-hour parts for now.

So Mark. Am I to understand that you liked that Dune film? and What were your thoughts on Sci-fi's Riverworld?
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I didn't watch Riverworld; partly because I had never read the novel, and partly because I could never seem to catch it when it was on. I'm familiar with the synopsis of the novel, so I might have done okay with the feature, but who knows.

mh

I liked both of the new Dune series.. Dune and Children of Dune... I cant wait for the third part. But I am weird I liked the first Dune as well although it did not follow the book nearly as well as the Sci Fi version. It is said that those who resonate to the Dune Trilogy have lived lifetimes in that reality.

Riverworld was VERY interesting.. visually and the "characters" were surprising.. WHY do reincarnation stories always involve the Kings and queens of history... and not just we the common people.

Well, I'm (temporarily) screwed.

I'm stuck in Oslo where it get's light at 9:00 a.m. and dark at 2:00 - and no Sci-fi channel anywhere. I've been waiting for this new series for 6 Yarans - and then get sent away to the one of the older colonies for the opening week.

Hence my speedy investment in a TiVo a few Centons ago (Life will never be the same). BUT - if I get home and someone's erased these episodes, By the "Lords of Cobol"... there'll be hell to pay.

Frack.

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Saw the BSG the other night. It's very good. I don't want to compare it to the old cheesy series. It stands alone. Hopefully the series will be good also.

Duplicates of a same model can't be counted extra. So there are a few models left to reveal. That would make sense if this is leading into a series.

The first Dune was terrible, especially if you read the book. The later one was much better, but I can't stand Susan S in anything though anymore. What accent were they trying to make in that thing. Also, do you think Chani would be that breasty if she came from an evolution of people living in a highly parched climate? (I don't know either way, any anthropologists, genetics types here?) Maybe that would be the way they'd evolve....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think you shouldn't hold your breath. My guess is it's a two part mini-series, as I have seen no previews for a third part. Just previews for what's already been shown. I wonder where they'd go with it, anyway. Earth? Or a new TV show? You'd have heard something by now. Nope, I think you're going to have to let it go. It's frakking over. Pity. They really did Star Trek to death, and this was better, I think.

Finally saw the whole thing - you see the new Cylons twice in the entire 4 hours, and it is the same exact shot both times. You see an old Cylon, and they made the newest Cylons look like humans to probably save money on FX.

I have about 1000 problems with the 4 hours - and the more I watched this show, the more I wished Space: Above and Beyond was never canceled.

It was a good way to spend a few hours, but I wouldn't place it anywhere in the upper rankings of anything I have watched.

Saw the BSG the other night. It's very good. I don't want to compare it to the old cheesy series. It stands alone. Hopefully the series will be good also.

Duplicates of a same model can't be counted extra. So there are a few models left to reveal. That would make sense if this is leading into a series.

The first Dune was terrible, especially if you read the book. The later one was much better, but I can't stand Susan S in anything though anymore. What accent were they trying to make in that thing. Also, do you think Chani would be that breasty if she came from an evolution of people living in a highly parched climate? (I don't know either way, any anthropologists, genetics types here?) Maybe that would be the way they'd evolve....

Jah, I'm with you wrt Susan Sarandon (Streisand). >:( However, as a writer and a critic, I have to do what she cannot, and set politics aside, and hold my nose and give credit where it is due, irrespective of my personal bias. Actors are professional BULLSHIT ARTISTS. That's what they've trained all their lives to do. If they do it well, they'll get recognition from me. If they abuse their position as entertainer (as in Sarandon departing from her organ-grinder monkey role and engaging in verbal flataulence of a political streak), I won't hesitiate to light into them. When it comes to politics, for example, she and her fellow simpering monkey-boy / butt-buddy Tim Robbins suck ass.

Sarandon did a good job in Dune. She carried her part very well.

mh

I liked both of the new Dune series.. Dune and Children of Dune... I cant wait for the third part.

mmm...methinks the two Sci-Fi channel features "Dune" and "Children of Dune" encompassed Herbert's trilogy (BTW - did I mention that I met him at a lecture in Tacoma in 1984 when I was in the USAF?! hehehe); that is, "Dune", Dune Messiah" and "Children of Dune". If they do another Dune feature, it would be "God Emperor of Dune", IIRC.

mh

You see an old Cylon, and they made the newest Cylons look like humans to probably save money on FX.

I've heard the save money on effects argument before, I'm not sure that I buy it. Maybe I'm just a dork, but I thought that they looked like humans in an effort to show how advanced they had become.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You see an old Cylon, and they made the newest Cylons look like humans to probably save money on FX.

I've heard the save money on effects argument before, I'm not sure that I buy it. Maybe I'm just a dork, but I thought that they looked like humans in an effort to show how advanced they had become.

-
Jim

In 40 years they go from walking toasters to fully synthetic humans with religious beliefs and sex drives? They have religion but no reason why they need to kill off humanity?

I just realized that Ronald Moore worked on this show - no wonder that #6 reminded me of a combination of seven of nine and data. And Baltar now reminds me of Dr Smith from Lost in Space.