PRSKY71

Question for CAT lovers

I think most people make the decision to declaw when the cats are still kittens and kittens can be very destructive with their claws. The thing is, its something most cats outgrow, especially when you provide them with something they can scratch on.

Think about it- puppies can be equally destructive with their chewing, but who considers de-toothing their puppies? That would be cruel, right? And puppies aren't expected to chew up everything in sight forever, right? So you give them chew toys and hope they chew on those instead of your shoes or the brand new sofa, right? Its really the same thing with kittens and their claws. A little patience, some training and providing the kitty with toys she can scratch up work wonders.

Besides, if you're worried about the cat being too agressive with the dog, a lot of declawed cats get MORE agressive and become biters because you've taken away their first line of defense.

Adding to what Tigra said (accurate, btw), another issue with declawed kitties is they can develop an adversion to litter, and litter boxes. It tends to hurt their paws, so they take to peeing and pooping on things which are soft (erm, the sofa, bed, clothing, rugs), because it doesn't hurt their paws. Owners are not usually informed of this, and will often either destroy the cat or give them to a shelter because they're peeing in inappropriate places...

It can be done, but it's very difficult to rehab a cat who's developed an aversion to litter...

But I can't get into this conversation too much. Makes me so sad.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I am worried about the kitten -- soon to be full fledged cat -- hurting my dog. My dog already gets bullied by the b/f's 13 year old cat -- a lot of slapping around with my poor dog on the receiving end! :(

When she plays too rough if you say "RROWWRRROWRR", let whatever's being attacked go limp, and then ignore the kitten she should learn to behave when playing with other people and animals.

You and your dog should then be fine as long as you avoid playing with the irresistably cute soft kitten belly that's protected by fangs and claws, especially when kitty is most adorable and sleeping. If not, you might learn your lesson (people are probably harder to teach than dogs)

Sisal rope scratching posts/surfaces in your kitten's preferred orientation (horizontal or vertical), in the rooms she likes to scratch in, and the Invisible Water Spray Bottle of Ghod might avoid furniture scratching; although I didn't care enough about my college era couch to be consistant about that so it's more theoretical.

My Shadow has lots of energy and loves to scratch!!

First thing I did with her was start trimming her claws about once a week. I can tell it's time to trim when she has enough traction to climb up my patio screen

Secong thing I did was take a water bottle and fill it with a catnip-tea. I sprayed her kitty-jail with the catnip and now she literally runs circles around it, up it and through it. Digs her claws into the bottom couple inches and drags her side on the carpet. :D:D

Who knows anything about the "soft paws" nail caps? Does the product really work? I would soooo love to opt for this choice BUT have to maintain my dog's well being in mind.

Hi Sara,

I use soft paws on my cat. I think they work *great*. I trim his claws first and then apply the soft paws. I have to keep an eye on him for a few minutes after I put them on... or he'll try to yank them right back off. After about 3 or 4 minutes he won't be able to get them off and you're good to go.

Of course, as the claw grows they will come off one by one. Every two weeks or so I have to re-apply 3 or 4. As long as you don't mind the maintenance they're a perfect solution.

I hope that helps. :)
Pink Mafia Sis #26

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to try the product and see how it goes. Little Katana has scratched me and bitten me once (ouch!!) but it was my own fault -- she seems to like my dog's food and I attempted to take away and keep her from it. :S

Anywho, I'm slowly learning and the dog and kitten seem to be warming up to each other. The kitten and "old grumpy cat" seem to be having a bit more difficulty. [:/]
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

I am worried about the kitten -- soon to be full fledged cat -- hurting my dog. My dog already gets bullied by the b/f's 13 year old cat -- a lot of slapping around with my poor dog on the receiving end! :(

When she plays too rough if you say "RROWWRRROWRR", let whatever's being attacked go limp, and then ignore the kitten she should learn to behave when playing with other people and animals.

You and your dog should then be fine as long as you avoid playing with the irresistably cute soft kitten belly that's protected by fangs and claws, especially when kitty is most adorable and sleeping. If not, you might learn your lesson (people are probably harder to teach than dogs)

Sisal rope scratching posts/surfaces in your kitten's preferred orientation (horizontal or vertical), in the rooms she likes to scratch in, and the Invisible Water Spray Bottle of Ghod might avoid furniture scratching; although I didn't care enough about my college era couch to be consistant about that so it's more theoretical.

Thankfully, the kitten seems to be seeking out my Gracie and nudging up against her -- too cute!! She ran up my couch yesterday after I took away my dog's food bowl. She (kitten) was very upset. Other than that she is just soooo sweet and lets me kiss her face to no end. I have my concerns -- as a first time cat owner -- but my heart is comepletely warmed up by her cuteness!! :D
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

Adding to what Tigra said (accurate, btw), another issue with declawed kitties is they can develop an adversion to litter, and litter boxes. It tends to hurt their paws, so they take to peeing and pooping on things which are soft (erm, the sofa, bed, clothing, rugs), because it doesn't hurt their paws. Owners are not usually informed of this, and will often either destroy the cat or give them to a shelter because they're peeing in inappropriate places...

It can be done, but it's very difficult to rehab a cat who's developed an aversion to litter...

But I can't get into this conversation too much. Makes me so sad.

I am so surprised that she is sooo smart about using her litter box. Total smarty pants!! ;)

I understand your argument and my heart agrees. I think it is all about my own anxieties -- trying to keep the peace between kitty, my dog, "old grumpy cat", and myself. Of course, b/f does great at balancing it all...Me, I'm a mess!!! :([:/]:)

I am so surprised that she is sooo smart about using her litter box. Total smarty pants!!

Cats prefer to dig and bury.;) Neither of our kitties, even Sabre who was just 2 weeks old when we took him in and nursed him to health, have never gone to the bathroom anywhere else but their litter box.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Get a water squirter now. Any time the cat is doing something it shouldn't, squirt it with water. Also, be sure and give it lots of places to scratch (scratching board, rope tied around a post, etc.). They'll learn quickly not to scratch the furniture. The dog and cat will eventually work something out. No one likes to fight all the time.
We are all engines of karma

The funny thing about cats is they're all different.

Water does not phase Sabre. As a kitten Sabre would balance along the edge of the shower and stick his paws in the water drops and bat at them. I bathed him daily in the kitchen sink w/ Johnson's Baby Shampoo, too, and he purred most of the time.:D

Zoe' likes crinkled paper.
Sabre likes strings & ropes.

Zoe' prefers bird (turkey, chicken).
Sabre prefers fish (tuna, salmon).

Sabre never leaves our property when we let him out for a couple hours (never has in the 5 years we've had him).
Zoe' roams the neighbor's.

Sabre loves full body rubs and scratches.
Zoe' only wants her head rubbed, and rubbed, and rubbed and rubbed and...:D

I'm a sucker and I cater to each of their individual "needs".;)

I wish I could bathe my cats. Falafel, my orange male tabby, was infested with fleas when I got him at 10 weeks. I tried bathing him in the sink and he completely freaked out. My roommate's cat, who didn't like the kitten yet, came up to the bathroom door and starting meowing at me as if I was torturing the kitten.

Of course, I hadn't figured out at the time to hold him by the scruff to prevent scratching.

should then be fine as long as you avoid playing with the irresistably cute soft kitten belly that's protected by fangs and claws,

:D:D:D

I keep falling for this and my cat trys to warn me but I keep going back to rub her belly and she tears me up.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

You mean like this belly?

Neener. Neener. Neeeeener...
Sabre lets me pet it any time I want.:P

I regularly carry him around like a baby and anyone in my path must stop and give his belly a rub. Sabre just hangs out in my arms, no worries at all.:)
Zoe', on the other hand does not care for the belly rub. And her belly is all white and soft and irresistable. Luckily she just flips to her feet faster than you can get a palm to it.:D

I don't bathe Sabre anymore. The last time I did I'm quite certain after an hour he still wasn't fully wet.:D He's super fluffy. The dirt, if on the rare occasion he gets dirty outside, doesn't penetrate into his layers of fur. It just brushes right off. He feels like a little mink; my luxurious little kitty.

It's kinda strange but...I'll admit...I've considered saving his balls of hair from the brush and making super-soft gloves or a cap.:D I hear people do that. But, I don't wear fur and if someone asked why that fur was OK, I don't think they'd ever take me seriously again.:P

Zoe', on the other hand, must get a bath once in a while. She's a royal tom-girl and occasionally comes home covered in something. She hates it, but she won't scratch or flip out so long as I get in the tub w/ her and cradle her in my lap...

The things I do...:S;):P

Yep, that would be the position that suckers me in. She will even meow a little bit too.

I was dumb enough to stick my face down by her ONCE. She gave me a look like I was the dumbest human on the plant then punched me in the face - she was nice enough to keep the claws mostly in.

I'm learning, slowly, but faster than my husband.:S

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Hi prsky,
De claw, don't sdo it!! My wife aquired a nice cat (de clawed) from her son and daughter-in-law when they moved. Ubie was a nice cat but some neighbor hood dogs cornered her and killed her. She couldn't fight back and couldn't climb the tree, her means to safety!! Cats get out. If you want a pet with out claws get a goldfish.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi prsky,
De claw, don't sdo it!! My wife aquired a nice cat (de clawed) from her son and daughter-in-law when they moved. Ubie was a nice cat but some neighbor hood dogs cornered her and killed her. She couldn't fight back and couldn't climb the tree, her means to safety!! Cats get out. If you want a pet with out claws get a goldfish.

Well, I am sincerely sorry to hear about your cat. If you read my original question, it wasn't one asking for opinions on declawing or one saying that I intend on doing it. It was one asking for information on the soft paws product.

And, I'm not interested in a goldfish, but thanks for the suggestion.

Bringing up an old thread here...was looking for alternatives to declawing and found this thread, thought it might be useful to some...

I've been using "soft paws" on both of my cats for a couple months now and they have been working great...excellent alternative to declawing. One of our cats used to be fairly destructive and these things have rendered her harmless to our furniture, carpet, boxsprings, mattress, etc.. Had to do the ol' burrito roll with them to apply the first time, then replacing one here and there has been stupidly easy.
Miami

Who knows anything about the "soft paws" nail caps? Does the product really work? I would soooo love to opt for this choice BUT have to maintain my dog's well being in mind.

They do work, but then they can get caught in your teeth unless you prepare your cat first by boiling. It allows you to separate crunchy bits before adding the meat to a stew or dumpling dish.

Best to just declaw.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

More than likely with a little time your dog and kitten will figure out who is the dominate one and the fighting will stop. Just introduce them slowly and always keep an eye on them when they are together at first so no one gets hurt. They might "test" each other now and then but, I don't think your kitty will continuously beat up your dog for the rest of its life. If the fighting dose not stop I would suggest talking to your vet or find a reputable animal trainer. They will be able to give you some good suggestions.

I'm not to keen on declawing. I know it is not a problem in most cases but, I had too cats growing up named Tom and Fluffy, Tom developed diabetes and Fluffy would continuously play too rough with him and give him abscesses. Tom had a hard time recovering from them so we had them both declawed. Tom didn't get any more abscesses but, they both walked funny for the rest of their lives and one time Fluffy got out of the house and got attacked buy another cat or a raccoon. He got really beat up requiring lots of stiches. He then developed a really bad infection and almost didn't make it. He might have gotten beat up anyway but, I felt horrible that he didn't have any way to protect him self.
Fly like a girl