PRSKY71

Question for CAT lovers

How exactly does the vet declaw a cat?
I was looking at my cats claws an their is a lot of live tissue at the base of the claw.
It has got to hurt like hell.

They basically clip the claw/paw down to the knuckle. It is unbelievably painful. If the cat ever gets loose, it will be killed immediately for inability to defend itself.

PLEASE don't declaw. The dog and cat will learn to live together. Mine did.

A friend of mines works fro the RSPCA (the main animal charity in the UK) and I asked him about offering a home to a de-clawed cat if it ever came into their rescue shelter. His response was that it was highly unlikely as de-clawing cats is illegal in the UK and any vet found having a de-clawed a cat would loose their licence to practice.

I my view that says it all - if someone felt it was cruel enough to get a law passed without enough opposition to get that proccess stopped there will be a good reason for it.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I certainly understand the aguments against the procedure and did not want this thread to go into a heated debate about it. [:/] Thanks to everyone for the wonderful input. I especially appreciate it, having never before been a cat mom!!! :)

Here are the last pics so you all can see why this mom is sooo proud!!

:D:D
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

More links & quotes, straight from the DZ.com fave, Wikipedia.:P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy

Declawing
Main article: Onychectomy
Declawing is a major surgery known as onychectomy, performed under anesthesia, that removes the tip of each digit (from the first knuckle out) of the cat's forepaws (and sometimes the hind paws). There is a slight chance of death in the surgery, and a declawed cat may have an increased risk of infection and life-long discomfort in its paws. This surgery is not recommended for an adult animal and is considered an act of animal cruelty in some countries (see below).

People generally have cats declawed to prevent them from hunting and from damaging furniture. Rarely, vicious cats are declawed. In the United States, some landlords require that tenants' cats be declawed.

Veterinarians are generally critical of the procedure and some refuse to perform it because the absence of claws in a cat:

A cat brandishing its clawsDeprives it of its main defense abilities, including escaping from predators by climbing trees;
Impairs its stretching and exercise habits, leading to muscle atrophy;
Compromises its ability to balance on thin surfaces such as railings and fence tops, leading to injury from falls;
Can cause insecurity and a subsequent tendency to bite.
This operation is rare outside of North America. In Finland, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland, declawing is forbidden by the laws against cruelty to animals.[22] In many other European countries, it is forbidden under the terms of the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals, unless "a veterinarian considers [such] non-curative procedures necessary either for veterinary medical reasons or for the benefit of (the) animal". [23] In Britain, animal shelters find it difficult to place imported cats that have been declawed and subsequently most are euthanized. In 2003, West Hollywood, California became the first US jurisdiction to outlaw declawing by veterinarians or animal groomers practicing in city limits.

Close-up of a declawed paw.An alternative to declawing is the application of blunt, vinyl nail caps that are affixed to the claws with nontoxic glue, requiring periodic replacement when the cat sheds its claw sheaths (about every four to six weeks). However, the cat will still experience difficulties because the capped nails are not as effective as claws.

After a cat has been declawed, it should be allowed to rest, and restrained from jumping (if possible) for a few days. After being neutered/spayed/declawed (as with after any surgery), the cat will go through a period when being played with or picking it up may hurt it. This usually lasts a week or so, sometimes less. While some people suggest cats not be declawed until 5-6 months of age, many veterinarians who practice this surgery are of the opinion the cat can be declawed as soon as they are old enough to sustain surgery (around 2-3 months of age, depending on size). The reasoning is that younger cats are more adaptable to the amputation, and that distal phalanges in the cat at this age are still flexible cartilage rather than bone, may make the operation somewhat less painful.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I once heard that a cat will only roll on their backs and sleep if they trust their owner. My cat would sleep on her back when I was around, but never when my ex was... It was quite amusing. :D

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

I usually "save" adults cats and they have always been declawed when I got them.

Until the last two. I was concerned with the claws, but decided to take them anyway.

They started to claw the corners of the furniture. I stopped that by putting clear tape on the furniture. No more clawing. For some reason they don't like the feel of it. No other problems.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

How long should a stratching post last? My cat has pretty much wore it out in 6 months? Can you just "recarpet" it?

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with the original post. But since we are here I thought I would ask.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Can you just "recarpet" it?

Yes you can, don't use old carpet, since it'll be dried out and come apart. You can buy a small chunk from a carpet store, left over from a job.

If you really want to drive your cat nuts, make up a solution of catnip in warm water. Then soak the carpet in it over night before putting it up on the post.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Cedar post lasts forever (well, probably not technically:D) and I spray it every once in a while w/ cat nip spray.

Otherwise, I just use the disposable cat scratchers and keep them out on the back porch. Sabre doesn't tear it up, but the neighbor's cat goes to town, so it lasts as long as the neighbor's cat stays away.:P

I don't see why you can't just recarpet it, as you mentioned.:)

Lets have a big round for the British,

Although I ca'nt help wondering if declawing in England was made illigal so's the cat had a fighting chance against
Chinese resturant owners:ph34r:( chinese smiley )

Gone fishing

When you need to take the cat any place IE:- vet or out shopping I strongly advise buying one of these

OMG.... I'm sorry, I must be missing a sense of humor but that is horrible!!!:S[:/]:(:)
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

When you need to take the cat any place IE:- vet or out shopping I strongly advise buying one of these

OMG.... I'm sorry, I must be missing a sense of humor but that is horrible!!!:S[:/]:(:)

Sorry, lets put it down to British humour, ( Shropshire would understand)

You can't buy it, it was a joke from way back.

Gone fishing

Sorry, lets put it down to British humour, ( Shropshire would understand)

You can't buy it, it was a joke from way back.

What? No - I have one - I'm sure it's a little uncomfortable at first - but after an hour or so - he calms down and it's easy to carry him.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have sacrificed two leather La-Z-Boy recliners:D (They were my parent's who gave them to me when they bought new furniture).

Our leather furniture has remained completely untouched by our three cats...who all have razor sharp claws. The leather is smooth...perhaps yours was more textured or suedelike?

I think declawing is cruel, cruel, cruel. Don't do it. I lived with friends a number of years ago that declawed a new kitten and it was just a horrible thing to see this poor little thing trying to walk on its freshly amputated toes.

You can put out scratching posts, spray them with water when they go near your furniture, etc. but if you have cats I think you just have to accept that they are going to go after your furniture. Our cats are not as bad now..they are 11 and 12 years old .... but they sure used to rip things up.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I think its cruel to de-claw a cat. >:(

It shouldn't just attack the dog for no reason and if the dog does attack, the dog will more than likely just get a slap.

Oh and if you are concerned later about your furniture/ curtains, there are sprays that deter kitties from scratching etc. ;)
**Those who refuse to live and learn simply exist**

Our leather furniture has remained completely untouched by our three cats...who all have razor sharp claws. The leather is smooth...perhaps yours was more textured or suedelike?

Nope, smooth. But both were scratched up when Sabre was a kitten, as previously noted in that post. Furniture since has been left untouched.:)

I think declawing is cruel, cruel, cruel.

Me too. Again, as previously noted in my several posts & links.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Declawing is unnecessary and cruel.

That is what I used to believe......That is why I always stay stick with what you think is best...

~R+R...I now know differently...but it is left up to the individual...

Just b/c this type of surgery is routine does not mean it is not painful or cruel.

How is it necessary and not cruel? Please explain.