skymama

What do women do to appear unapproachable?

I find that most women, even in a close environment of the DZ, don't even acknowledge my existance. Most are much younger, some are married, and I believe that others see me as someone who's been rode hard and put up wet.

I've heard from many women that don't approach men because they are afraid of being rebuffed, so they expect men to do the approaching. Well I've done the approaching and been rebuffed enough times that unless all the verbal and non-verbal signs are there, I expect to get rebuffed and don't approach.

I've been shot down so many times that I've got lead poisoning.;)

I find that most women, even in a close environment of the DZ, don't even acknowledge my existance.

Hmmm...do you have any idea as to why that might be? Do you walk with confidence, are you friendly, do you approach them?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I find that most women, even in a close environment of the DZ, don't even acknowledge my existance.

Hmmm...do you have any idea as to why that might be? Do you walk with confidence, are you friendly, do you approach them?

It could it be because men out number women two to one at every dropzone, as such those of us that are not the pick of the litter don't get much attention.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

So, I'm asking for all of the ladies what we might be doing to make it so you won't strike up a conversation with us.

1. The beauty of the individual may be far too intimidating for a guy to start talking to without a genuine reason, especially if he is low on confidence.
2. The concern that she may think the guy is talking to her to try and chat her up, rather than being genuinely friendly.
3. The fear of becoming lost in her eyes, resulting in symptoms such as brain farts, verbal diahorria or catgotyourtongue syndrome.
4. The lady being amongst a group of other girls where the unseen but very prominent invitation says "Women Only - Guys Stay Away"
5. The possibility that the lady doesn't know or care what a change-up is, destroying 40% of the material you would have for a conversation.
6. The possibility that the lady doesn't know or care what a Hop & Pop is, destroying the ther 60% of the material you would have for a conversation.
7. The "I really don't want to talk to this guy" look on a lady's face when she first lays eyes on you.
8. Standing next to and chatting with another guy. Friend, brother, colleague, boyfriend - doesn't matter. If the perception is a boyfriend who will break your nose in six places just for "looking at his bird". then the stay away signs illuminate.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

It could it be because men out number women two to one at every dropzone, as such those of us that are not the pick of the litter don't get much attention.

You should see who I hang out with. I'm not saying they're "old", but they've all been on POPS jumps and I don't think any of them have gotten a call from GQ lately. I just like to be around happy, fun people. It doesn't really matter to me what you look like.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

5. The possibility that the lady doesn't know or care what a change-up is, destroying 40% of the material you would have for a conversation.

Umm.. is this some skydiving term that I have neglected to learn?

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Most are much younger, some are married, and I believe that others see me as someone who's been rode hard and put up wet.

Yep, you want to kind of stay in your own age group, married ones are off limits, but the last one, well, maybe you could change the impression you make. I may not be handsome, but I can at least brush my teeth and comb my hair. Women appreciate you trying.

The confidence thing is huge, too. Stand up straight, smile, and pretend you know what you're doing. A little bit of shy can work. It lets them know that you are tongue tied with their beauty, but be confidently shy. Be polite, too. Anyone woman you meet by being a jerk is not someone you want to spend a lot of time with.

Umm.. is this some skydiving term that I have neglected to learn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeup
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Something I see quite often is when a senior, respected skydiver on the DZ becomes the woman's friend. They are together all the time. He does little things, like makes tea, moves garden furniture etc. He hovers, and is polite and cordial, but never makes a move, never risks rejection.

This puts a kinda "force sheild" around the woman that other lesser mortals are afraid to breach. It's almost territorial in nature, and not nice if it's protracted in any way. No matter how often the woman says they are "just good friends" no one really makes a move for fear of breaking something that's not there but seems to be.

That's sad.

If you like someone, tell them. If they don't like you the same way, back off and let them find someone they do like the same way.

So, in answer you the question, sometimes the woman does nothing to appear unavailable. Sometimes someone else does it for them.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Something I see quite often is when a senior, respected skydiver on the DZ becomes the woman's friend. They are together all the time. He does little things, like makes tea, moves garden furniture etc. He hovers, and is polite and cordial, but never makes a move, never risks rejection.

I didn't know I could get someone to make me tea or move furniture! I need new friends, the most they do for me is fetch me another beer. Oh wait, that's really not that bad, is it? :ph34r:

In my mind the "pick of the litter" are those who are confident and fun to be around, not those that sit around and wonder why no one acknowledges their existence. Some of the people I like the most in skydiving wouldn't win any beauty contests but damn I enjoy hanging out with them. Hell, I know I won't win any beauty contests but I seem to have managed to get a few friends here and there and a date or two.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's not like you can just randomly walk up to a woman and start talking to her. Do some people do that?

Yes, you should try it sometime. We're really not that scary. ;)

LIAR!!!!

LIAR!!!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LIAR!!!!

LIAR!!!

With you, I don't even waste time with that silly talking stuff. I just go straight to rubbing your ass in those hot freefly pants!

Wear glasses and a dark hat.....

But, I have a big smile on my face. I thought that counted!

You men are so confusing. :P

Two women at work, both very taken, both very pretty. I say hi to both and make small talk. One talks, elaborates, banters, has fun. The other answers in 5 syllables or less....

I call it pretty girl syndrome. Many girls just don't care unless they find you attractive, whether or not they're taken, single, whatever. Labelling a girl wiht pretty girl syndrome pretty much ranks her with the 300 pound smokers in my book. Disgusting.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I think women are people just the same as men and that(typically) the gender gap is what creates the most amount of confusion. Not something they do specifically but just the way that things are interpreted between the sexes. Its inevitable. We tend to see the world differently through different eyes and that is the biggest factor in shaping a person and how they will be/act.

The key thing is to remember that you have no control over anyone but yourself. That is and always will be the bottom line. Once you have mastered yourself and know what it is you are all about, everything else will/should(just covering my ass!! B| ) fall into place.

All that said...yeah there will be shitty people that will come into our lives. How you let them affect you, or whether you choose to let it affect you(or even be around them) is again...all up to the individual.
Someday Never Comes

LIAR!!!!

LIAR!!!

With you, I don't even waste time with that silly talking stuff. I just go straight to rubbing your ass in those hot freefly pants!

DAMN!!! I'm getting me some $99 freefly pants. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

LIAR!!!!

LIAR!!!

DAMN!!! I'm getting me some $99 freefly pants. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Like you can get 99 dollar freefly pants..try 399 without any extras.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?