brabzzz

Vector 3 - that new 3D Spacer Foam...?

Is it worth it?

In the great big scheme of things, it's only about 5% more on the price of a fully pimped V3.

On the other hand, it's $150 (intro price!!!) which seems like a toss load, especially as i assume it only matters when walking/sitting. What's the full price gonna be? Has anyone tried it? How does it compare to the (free) Aerodyne one or considerably cheaper Sunpath gucci-padding?

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Well I griped about the old foam back pad they had here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2017798;#2017798

I don't have the new 3d spacer pad, but after looking at RWS's site, it looks like its a major improvement. And for just double the price of the old backpad which was just a piece of foam, I would definitely get it. Like you said, it's a small percentage of the total amount you are spending, so why not.

Does anyone know if RWS will mod this into a new V3 micron?

.-.

In my opinion it's well worth it. The rig is more comfortable when sitting/standing for sure, but it also seems to stay put on my back a lot better than my previous Vector in freefall, and the rig is VERY comfortable under canopy.
The biggest difference to me is "over the shoulder" comfort. Where the seam/binding tape lining the yoke used to be (sorry, don't have a picture to show you) now is just a smooth pad - it's yummy :o)

blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

That was my thinking too - am drooling just looking at it. I suppose i'm just trying to justify (to myself!) why buying a container worth more than many peoples entire rig is a good idea!

It clearly is a good idea, in the 'heart' rather than 'mind' sense! :)

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

:$:$:$

Well, umm, what I of course meant to say was (backpeddles desperately) they may not appeal to everyones individual aesthetic taste[;p]

Not really very important though is it? Apart from all the velcro bits I think my VectorII looks better than a V3, I know which one I'd rather have though:)
(Still can't believe I just accidentaly insulted a legend:D)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Can it be an aftermarket option like the skyhook. IE can I have my vector sent in and get the foam thing put on it?

You pretty much have to dissemble your entire container to add all the spacer foam we put on a new rig. However, you could add some at the bottom of the main container with a lot less work. It would seem simpler to sew some spacer foam to the back of your jumpsuit.

I have put on a rig with the foam on it and it feels almost like it's floating on your shoulders. Ok so how long do you usually wear you rig sitting or walking. For me the usual is 5-10 min. before boarding the aircraft, 10-30 min. (depending on the aircraft) on the ride to altitude. So your looking at anywhere from 15-40 min a jump that the rig is hanging on your shoulders. So as a low average, if you make 10 jumps a day the rig is on your back sitting or walking for almost 2.5 hours. I think I'd pay the extra $150 for the extra bit of comfort!!!:P
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Hey Ryan,

Yeah, the leg straps are fully equipped too, and they do feel more comfortable - I notice that they "slide around" less than the straps on my previous Mircon did in freefall (when I'm attempting to freefly that is :D).

I noticed that your home DZ is Eloy - I will be out that way this coming weekend for Nationals. I'm bringing my rig, so if you want to take a look at the new backpad and foam stuff, come look me up under the PD tent, I'm only too happy to show off my new fabulous rig :)

Bloooos,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Hey Ryan,

Yeah, the leg straps are fully equipped too, and they do feel more comfortable - I notice that they "slide around" less than the straps on my previous Mircon did in freefall (when I'm attempting to freefly that is :D).

I noticed that your home DZ is Eloy - I will be out that way this coming weekend for Nationals. I'm bringing my rig, so if you want to take a look at the new backpad and foam stuff, come look me up under the PD tent, I'm only too happy to show off my new fabulous rig :)

Bloooos,
Kolla

Hey, Kolla - were you out at Chicks Rock this year? I think I saw your rig (spacer foam and magnetic riser covers, right?) when I was over at the PD tent (if not you, it was someone else's).

Anyway, if that was you, sweet! Ryan, definitely go check out the rig. I was already thinking of getting a Vector, just due to the Skyhook, etc...but the new bells & whistles really put me over the top. Seeing them in person (on a beautiful rig, no less) sold me. Just a matter of saving up a few more dollars... :)

Yep, that was me at Chicks Rock :)
The black & white one I showed you actually belongs to Mark Procos (the GM at RWS/UPT) - my rig was the orange and silver one next to it.
The rig is as comfortable as it is beautiful - and of course SkyHook equipped.

Good luck saving up the dollars - that always comes really naturally to skydivers... :P

blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine