loumeinhart

anyone else 'lean forward' while driving to see better up ahead?

it makes no sense at all but I do it all the time. 80 mph and I'm leaning forward lookin for my exit.

Could this condition be caused by too many drugs when you were younger? :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

it makes no sense at all but I do it all the time. 80 mph and I'm leaning forward lookin for my exit.

It absolutely makes sense. You are taking away distractions from your periferal vision (right seat pax, window frame, dash lights, etc..) I'd say it is a natural instinct.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

It absolutely makes sense. You are taking away distractions from your periferal vision (right seat pax, window frame, dash lights, etc..) I'd say it is a natural instinct.

If you don't have the concentration/visual acuity/attention span to do those from your standard driving position, then maybe you should try not driving 80 mph, because, quite frankly, you need those at all times, not just finding your exit.[:/]

This reminds me of an incident I had when learning to fly gliders. Normally, the tow plane would circle the airport while towing me up to release altitude. On this one occasion, he decided that instead of circling, he would fly a straight line away from the airport up to the halfway point, then do a 180 and continue climbing to the release point directly over the airport. Of course Mr. Murphy chose this opportunity to ride along with me.

As the tow plane did his 180 (miles from the airport), I managed to screw up the turn, resulting in a snapped tow rope, leaving me miles from the airport at an altitude a *lot* lower than I wanted to be. All I could do was point it directly at the closest runway and cross my fingers.

As I passed over the fence just short of the threshold of the runway, I cleared the top row of barbed wire by about 4 feet. At that moment I became aware of the fact I had unconsciously lifted my feet up off the rudder pedals.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If the windshield is dirty, then yeah it makes sense - it decreases the amount of interference in your field of vision which makes the view clearer.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

If the windshield is dirty, then yeah it makes sense - it decreases the amount of interference in your field of vision which makes the view clearer.

No no no....It's to better focus with the prescription windshield! :D;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

ltdiver

"Celebrating" the Easter Season today?:o

Just a little?:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ltdiver

"Celebrating" the Easter Season today?:o

Just a little?:P

Just quoting Brian Regan there....:P

Scroll down for "Samples" http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Regan-Live/dp/B000001ZGN. Think it's the one for 'horns and windshields'.;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I only do it when it is raining. It helps you hydroplane farther between contact patches, if you lean forward in the har-ness, I mean belt...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

No, I don't do it, because well, it makes no damn sense.

Let me guess, you are also one of those people that turns downt he radio when you park....

i don't turn it down to park, but i do turn it down while i'm trying to read a street sign, or look for an address. everyone does that though, right? [unsure] ha-ha, me neither. :$
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

If it was good and really helped observation racing drivers would do it. Being relaxed and smooth is the best way to drive. All this nonsense about peripheral vision interferance is bollocks. You should be reading the road WAY AHEAD, not looking at the end of your bonnet.

If it was good and really helped observation racing drivers would do it. Being relaxed and smooth is the best way to drive. All this nonsense about peripheral vision interferance is bollocks. You should be reading the road WAY AHEAD, not looking at the end of your bonnet.

qft...

I don't but
I was riding with a 141 pilot in Sacramento one night and we ran into a heavy wall of fog and just like he was flying he leaned forward and zeroed in on the instruments for about 3-4 seconds before he slowed down and looked out the windshield again funny to watch but scary to sit through luckily HWY 50 is straight and not too crowded at 2 am
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com