tasmanianjumper

Pls Help - AFF Grad with a spin!

I just graduated the AFF Program and am now on Solo status... I have a problem though... I sometimes turn when I dont intend to in FF and I was wondering... what is recommended - a dive exit, poised exit, or something else? I plan on FF 13 - 3.5k - I have 13 jumps until A License anyways.. but I want to gain more stability in FF.

I hope to do at least 10 jumps tomorrow if weather allows... Woo hoo my jumps now cost double digits :D

Please let me know!! Thanks :p

Blue Skies,

Taz
Taz

Is your problem on exit, or during freefall? If you are having problems in free fall with a spin, it shouldn't have much to do with how you exit, but I can recommend going back to the basics and doing toe touches while in freefall to become aware of where and what your feet are doing. Also a good thing to do is do a practice touch and hold the position and try and fly stable in the pull position. If you spin in that position, then that is also a point you want to practice. Last but not least, make sure you are relaxing in freefall, you may be tensing up a bit now that you are on your own, and creating the spin due to a rigid body position...smile on exit, and smile in free fall, do some fun stuff, try some flipping exits, etc..and you should remedy the problem :) GL

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Congratulations on graduating AFF. Now you need coaching/mentoring. Ask your instructors who they recommend - they might be available. I don't know what it will cost, but expect to pay for the service. It will be money well spent.

Edited for spelling
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I just graduated the AFF Program and am now on Solo status... I have a problem though... I sometimes turn when I dont intend to in FF and I was wondering... what is recommended - a dive exit, poised exit, or something else? I plan on FF 13 - 3.5k - I have 13 jumps until A License anyways.. but I want to gain more stability in FF.

I hope to do at least 10 jumps tomorrow if weather allows... Woo hoo my jumps now cost double digits :D

Blue Skies,

Taz

Quality over quantity. Three informative, briefed and debriefed jumps are better than 10 bad-habit forming jumps...
You've got some outstanding instructors at your home DZ; ask this question of them. There are many things that could be causing your spin, no one here can see you fly. Get some local help from a coach or instructor that can exit, observe, and provide video for debriefing.

Blue Skies,

Taz

Is it a little turn, or is it, as the title mentions, a spin? Or are you saying it takes you some time to initially get stable, and then you are in control?

If it is just initial stability diving out the door, you'll get better with practice. But you should already be able to exit stable with a poised exit. Can you?

A little bit of heading control problem is something you can practice to control. Toe taps and the like as has been suggested.

But if the subject line is true, and you have a spin problem, I think you should get back with an instructor for some evaluation and help.

If you really have a spin problem, I am troubled that you were graduated from AFF. Heading control is a requirement for graduation.

We all understand, you might not always point exactly where you intend. Fixing that just takes some more practice.

But spinning is a different matter.

You mention 13 jumps before your license, but really, it is as many jumps as you need to meet the requirements.

Get the required skills, don't worry about the numbers.

Well I just did three jumps here in Delaware today... i relaxed and kept on heading.. I was just kinda bummed that on my AFF level 7 there also was some turning motion.. maybe not spinning but just a slow turn... did toe taps and counter steer a little... I am now comfortable with waving at 4.5 now and pulling at 4. Not going all the way to 3.5 because it will take 1k or so for my main to inflate and 2500 is my magic decision altitude..

Practice makes perfect
Taz

Doesn't it take about 5 seconds to inflate fully? I might be mistaken but my last canopy was a PD-240.. exit weight 200

You lose 1k in 5sec while in freefall. Since your canopy inflates after you pulled, you decelerate (that the whole point of the canopy). It is fairly easy to check how much you are losing: look at your alti when pulling and once more under canopy.

Well I just did three jumps here in Delaware today... i relaxed and kept on heading.. I was just kinda bummed that on my AFF level 7 there also was some turning motion.. maybe not spinning but just a slow turn... did toe taps and counter steer a little... I am now comfortable with waving at 4.5 now and pulling at 4. Not going all the way to 3.5 because it will take 1k or so for my main to inflate and 2500 is my magic decision altitude..

Practice makes perfect

Well, if you're only doing a slow turn and you can stop it with a correction, you're not a real hazard to yourself. You are, however, maybe a little too tense and doing something asymetric with your body position to cause that turn. Make sure everything is square: shoulders, hips, knees, feet, arms and hands. Pick a spot and hold a heading. Relax. In a few more jumps it will be like riding a bicycle, to coin a phrase.

Coaching? Yes...
Get a parachite over your head - Land Safely - Repeat...

Go jump your ass off! Have fun and as long as you continue to put safety first you will get it sorted out. NEVER put freefall skills before safety.

Have fun! That is what it is all about...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…