matthewcline

? 4 Vector II Tandem rig owners.

Has any one else ever seen a flex pin get so hot during the deployment process the pin is burning or the closing loop is melting?

The flex pin has a black residue I believe is from the closing loop melting on to it during extraction. But the flex pin also seems to be losing material. The flex pin and whole drogue is less than 4 months old and only has 50 jumps on it.

Could this be caused by the drogue being inflated still after the release handle is pulled?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Matt

Yes I have seen it. Don't know what the black stuff is but you may be able to clean it off with a paper towel and silicone spray (Walmart auto section). If the flex pin is rough, replace it. Your closing loops will last much longer.

No it is not caused by the drouge being inflated, if it was, you would have a very hard snatch force. The sledge hammer wack then normal opening.

Dennis Anderson
D-2759

Expecting a closing loop to last 4 months is ... optimistic.
Hee!
Hee!
Similarly, expecting a flex pin to last an entire season is .... optimistic.
Hee!
Hee!
Closing loops and flex pins are high-wear items. Keep spares on hand and replace them at the first sign of wear.
Like I tell new packers - at our school - "If you are wondering whether to replace a closing loop, don't waste my time by asking me, because I won't waste the time to walk next door to inspect the old loop. Just change the damn loop!"

(riggerrob)
The closing loops only last about 8 to 10 jumps with the "burn" issue. We never expect them to go much betond 20 and be safe to use.

(golowjoe)
That is the concences and the rig owner/rigger will reset the kill line length.

Thanks all.

Matt

I'm sure I've covered this before on DZ.com. Flex pin closing systems appear to offer more "security" over curved pin systems, but I'm not actually sure this is the case. Anyway, the downside of flex pins is that they created much more friction on the closing loop, and therefore wear it out much faster...probably 10-20 times faster. And heat damage on a closing loop may be hard to see, so you should change them often. Since the problem is friction, a little lubrication (say with silicone) might make the loop last longer. I say might, because I've never done any definitive tests. Of course the best solution is the Sigma Disc System, but that is a lot more expensive than a few closing loops.

Hey all!
Digging this one back up so I can get a link to the Vector II Tandem Drogue kill line length.
I searched the uptvector.com page and didn't find a service bulletin or the info in my Vector II Tandem Owners Manual.

Thank You in advance.

Cheers!