linds111

Reserves

I was going to buy a smart 135 reserve but they are on backorder for so long I was looking for something different. Someone told me that PD 126 and Smart 135 fly about the same-- I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true or not-- I'm a little worried about the size of a 126 and want to know if it will be the same or not. thanks

Well. They don't pack the same.

I've only compared the Smart 120 to the PD113 in actual flight. They were comperable.

What is your background? How many jumps do you have? What elevation do you jump at? Have you ever flown a 7-cell F111 parachute?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Hey... yes I know the pd packs larger-- I have about 100 jumps and no I have never jumped a 7cell f111

How much do you weigh?

Im quoting Bob here to repeat the question.
You should seriously the implications of your wing loading under that reserve in relation to your skill level. ive got a PD 143 Ive landed it 4 times, hell I might as well put dive loops on the risers (kidding).
After those instances I have no real desire to be under a smaller reserve. This is one of the things holding me up from buying a new container.
You dont want to be flying a highly loaded reserve over a subdivision wondering how the hell youre gonna get it shut down.
Buy safe, fly safe.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

>I'm a little worried about the size of a 126 and want to know if it will be the same or not

A PD126R is about the same area as a Smart 135. They do not fly the same (I actually like how the PD lands a little better) but are similar.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's odd!!!
When Aerodyne introduced their new line of canopies (Pilot, Smart, Solo, etc.) they said that they switched to PD's measuring method.

Specifically, when I asked them why they did not build a Solo 290 or 300 to replace (PISA) Skymaster 290, an Aerodyne sales rep reassured me that Solo 270 is the same size as Skymaster 290 (old PIA/PISA measuring method).
Our students land slightly better under Solo 270s compared with Skymaster 290 or Manta 290.

Similarly, Icarus switched to PD's measuring method in 20001.

>When Aerodyne introduced their new line of canopies (Pilot, Smart,
>Solo, etc.) they said that they switched to PD's measuring method.

I don't believe anyone's measuring methods any more. The most useful source of canopy sizing I've found is the PIA canopy size/bulk document, maintained by Sandy Reid for a while. It's a bit out of date now though.

You dont want to be flying a highly loaded reserve over a subdivision wondering how the hell youre gonna get it shut down.

Been there, done that.

Had a slider 2/3 down with a mass of knots at the corners. The canopy was fully inflated and flying straight but I had no control other than risers. Looked down to see nothing but subdivision everywhere. No way in hell was I going to try to land in that w/o steering lines.

Chopped and got open at ~1000. Now I'm under a reserve loaded at 1.3. Now I'm noticing how small the lots are, and how every lot is interlaced with utility wires, utility poles, and tall trees. Landing in the street is out, due to *way* too many wires crossing over it, so it's going to be a back yard. The back yards all have fences, and wires around three sides, as well as trees, so I'm going to need to come in at about a 45-degree angle.

So I effectively shot an accuracy approach in half brakes loaded at 1.3. Landed like a ton of bricks, but didn't break anything. These days I load my reserves at ~1.0.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.