apollard24

Grindhouse...

I am a zombie in Grindhouse!

Have you seen it yet? Did you go to the regional premiere in Austin?

I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Which scene are you in? Do you think I'll be able to recognize you?
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I am a zombie in Grindhouse!

I remember that thread a while you started about it, doh! :D

Well I guess Im not going to get to trashed so I can keep an eye for you then. ;)

Movie zombies tend to have heavy makeup and costumes, so don't get your hopes up on eyeing her out easily. :D Remember Michael Jackson's Thriller video? :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm excited to see it, I mean come on, Tarantino and Rodriguez, great team up.
"Who's your paddy?"
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
"I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to live, and when I'm flat on my back I hope to feel like I did"

When I originally saw the previews for this flick I wasn't sure I actually wanted to see it... but after learning a bit more I decided to give it a chance.

And it was soooo worth it... Damn good movie... an excellent tribute to classic grindhouse movies and Stunt men/women... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Just saw it. Funny ass classic cliche B movie ala Tarantino style. Best dialouge from the entire movie(s)

"I'll tell you why I don't carry a knife.Cause mutha fuckers who carry knives get their fucking asses shot"

Some people actually got up and left at the end of the first film thinking it was over. This is not your typical movie, it isn't over until your bladder ruptures or the usher tells you to get the fuck out.:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just saw it last night and I couldn't even find myself. I guess when I get it on DVD I will have to pause it. You would never recognmize me anyway, I was looking for what I was wearing. The shoot was really fun to be at even though it was the smallest shit I have ever done on a movie.

I thought the movie was awesome. I thought the second part could have been about 30 minutes shorter, Tarantino is wordier than ever,which I usually love, but the bitches carring on about random BS was taking away from the movie.
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Just saw it last night and I couldn't even find myself. I guess when I get it on DVD I will have to pause it. You would never recognmize me anyway, I was looking for what I was wearing. The shoot was really fun to be at even though it was the smallest shit I have ever done on a movie.

I thought the movie was awesome. I thought the second part could have been about 30 minutes shorter, Tarantino is wordier than ever,which I usually love, but the bitches carring on about random BS was taking away from the movie.

The "previews of coming attractions" by the guest directors were awesome! Eli Roth's was a dead-on sendup of the trailers for those late 70's/early 80's low budget slasher flicks--one of the rare instances in history where the trailers were often worse than the movies. I agree about Deathproof running a little long. My interest started wavering toward the end.

Do you have any idea why the filmmakers chose to abandon the aged film look about half-way through Deathproof? I assume it's supposed to signify something, but I couldn't figure it out. The first half of Deathproof (the Austin unit) is aged, but the second half (the California unit) isn't. It's really weird.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Some people actually got up and left at the end of the first film thinking it was over. This is not your typical movie, it isn't over until your bladder ruptures or the usher tells you to get the fuck out.:D

Are some people too stupid to understand "double feature"?

Surprisingly, it took in virtually NOTHING at the box office...

The Weinsteins are probably not too happy this morning...

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/grindhouse-didnt-gun-friday-ticket-sales/

SUNDAY AM: Blades of Glory, a PG-13 co-production between DreamWorks and MTV Films and released by Paramount, finished Easter weekend No. 1 starting its second week out. The figure skating comedy made $23 mil on 3,410 for Friday-Saturday-Sunday, just a 30% drop from its opening weekend. Right now, it's new cumulative box office is $68.3 mil. One fact not being touted in this Will Ferrell/John Heder starring pic's success is that it came from Red Hour Films, which is Ben Stiller's production company. So chalk up another big win for the actor/director/producer who is rapidly becoming the king of Hollywood comedy. But today, major players in the movie capital were talking about the utter collapse at the box office of Grindhouse, that double-feature from celebrated directors Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. (I had wondered here if the movie could live up to the Weinsteins' hype.) Despite decent reviews, the hard "R"-rated pic filled with blood, sex and violence took in just $12 million this weekend -- nowhere near even the lowest $20 mil opening predicted (or the $25 mil debut anticipated after midnight sneaks were arranged in major cities). The weekend take was far, far below the openings for, say, Rodriguez's Sin City ($29.1 mil) or Tarantino's Kill Bill 1 ($22 mil) and 2 ($25.1 mil). The Weinstein Co. has been plagued by bomb after bomb since its 2005 inception after Miramax founders Harvey and Bob couldn't come to terms with Disney. The new company had a lot riding on this pic in terms of reputation.

Surprisingly, it took in virtually NOTHING at the box office...

The Weinsteins are probably not too happy this morning...

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/grindhouse-didnt-gun-friday-ticket-sales/

SUNDAY AM: Blades of Glory, a PG-13 co-production between DreamWorks and MTV Films and released by Paramount, finished Easter weekend No. 1 starting its second week out. The figure skating comedy made $23 mil on 3,410 for Friday-Saturday-Sunday, just a 30% drop from its opening weekend. Right now, it's new cumulative box office is $68.3 mil. One fact not being touted in this Will Ferrell/John Heder starring pic's success is that it came from Red Hour Films, which is Ben Stiller's production company. So chalk up another big win for the actor/director/producer who is rapidly becoming the king of Hollywood comedy. But today, major players in the movie capital were talking about the utter collapse at the box office of Grindhouse, that double-feature from celebrated directors Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. (I had wondered here if the movie could live up to the Weinsteins' hype.) Despite decent reviews, the hard "R"-rated pic filled with blood, sex and violence took in just $12 million this weekend -- nowhere near even the lowest $20 mil opening predicted (or the $25 mil debut anticipated after midnight sneaks were arranged in major cities). The weekend take was far, far below the openings for, say, Rodriguez's Sin City ($29.1 mil) or Tarantino's Kill Bill 1 ($22 mil) and 2 ($25.1 mil). The Weinstein Co. has been plagued by bomb after bomb since its 2005 inception after Miramax founders Harvey and Bob couldn't come to terms with Disney. The new company had a lot riding on this pic in terms of reputation.

WOW! That is a tough blow. I think part of the problem might have been the marketing strategy--It seems that a lot of people might have taken the advertising a little too seriously and not realized that it's a sendup of "bad" movies, rather than an actual bad movie. I went to the evening showing on Saturday night, and the theater was only about 3/4 full. I suspect this film will get a little second and third week business from word of mouth, and it might find a following on DVD and end up breaking even in the end, but this is definitely going to be a blow to a lot of people and companies. I really hate to see that happen, after the filmmakers bucked the trend to shoot in Texas.

I saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it (maybe more than I should have). I'm not a big horror fan, but this is campy enough to take the edge off the bloodbaths. It has a lot of really memorable dialogue, characters, and images. The double-feature format breaks things up and keeps the 3 hour running time tolerable.

Doug

WOW! That is a tough blow. I think part of the problem might have been the marketing strategy--It seems that a lot of people might have taken the advertising a little too seriously and not realized that it's a sendup of "bad" movies, rather than an actual bad movie. I went to the evening showing on Saturday night, and the theater was only about 3/4 full. I suspect this film will get a little second and third week business from word of mouth, and it might find a following on DVD and end up breaking even in the end, but this is definitely going to be a blow to a lot of people and companies. I really hate to see that happen, after the filmmakers bucked the trend to shoot in Texas.

I was originally in that camp... I had originally decided not to go see this movie... but then saw a "behind the scenes..." show on the Scifi Channel... and decided it actually looked pretty good.

I'm glad I went to see it... it really was very good... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I was originally in that camp... I had originally decided not to go see this movie... but then saw a "behind the scenes..." show on the Scifi Channel... and decided it actually looked pretty good.

I'm glad I went to see it... it really was very good... :)

Based solely on what I'm reading in this thread, I wouldn't be incredibly surprised to see a second or third week jump in the numbers. It's rare, but it does happen, from time to time, with sleepers that get good word of mouth.

i loved this movie, and am getting it as soon as it comes out on DVD.

i read somewhere that part of the reason it had low numbers over the weekend is that the length of the movie made it so that it would only run in a limited amount of theaters. i hope the numbers pick up because it would suck to have original work such as this stifled even further in hollywood because it odesnt make money.

i loved this movie, and am getting it as soon as it comes out on DVD.

i read somewhere that part of the reason it had low numbers over the weekend is that the length of the movie made it so that it would only run in a limited amount of theaters. i hope the numbers pick up because it would suck to have original work such as this stifled even further in hollywood because it odesnt make money.

Aside from the fact that movie goers tend to shy away from longer movies, movies of three hours usually get, I believe, one less showing per day than movies of two hours. Not only does that, in itself, decreases the overall box office take; it also discourages theaters from showing three hour movies on multiple screens, thereby making the overall box office take even lower.

In the last ten years, the success of longer movies, such as Titanic and the Lord of the Rings films, has encouraged filmmakers and studio execs to take the risk and produce more movies with longer running times. Sometimes the risk pays off. Sometimes it doesn't.