Revillusion

The Dave Ramsey Show

I 've been listening to Dave for the last 2 years and was able to pay off my student loans , car and credit cards ( about 15,000) within a year and I am 2/3 into building my emergency fund and can't wait till I can start putting money away into mutual funds and an IRA. Kind of pissed though, he has been off the radio in N Cali for the last couple of months.

I've been to his office and radio station in Nashville before I moved from there a few months ago. Sweet setup. VERY nice, professional staff. Top rate people.

There was actually a skydiver who called into his show a few months ago, wanted advice about becoming an instructor and doing it for pay. Dave was all for it! And Dave was thrilled to talk to his "first" reall skydiver on his show. That was pretty cool.

At first I thought Dave would be all down on the sport, thinking it would be irresponsible and stuff, but he wasn't AT ALL. He said, if it's your passion, go for it. But DON"T go into debt for it. He laid out a plan for the caller about how to go about earning what he needed in order to get his instructor rating w/o going into debt and off they went! It was pretty neat to hear!

I like Dave. Saw him around Nashville a time or two. Down to earth, easy to talk to. Very real. Sometimes though, I think he's a bit weird on his show... I've heard him say some things that just didn't jive... I forget what they were though, did he call someone names or something? I don't remember now... I don't listen faithfully. Sometimes I think he's a little knee-jerkish, but it's hard to argue w/ his success. And he's helped a LOT of people!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Micro, that's cool that you got to go to the studio. I can imagine that the staff is pretty cool. The other thing I like is all the practical information he puts on his website and the "endorsed local providers". With the ELP's you know from the get go that you are not going to get hustled or pressured into buying something. My Mom met with a financial planning ELP and has done very well with his recommendations. All at no charge too!

VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

Micro, that's cool that you got to go to the studio. I can imagine that the staff is pretty cool. The other thing I like is all the practical information he puts on his website and the "endorsed local providers". With the ELP's you know from the get go that you are not going to get hustled or pressured into buying something. My Mom met with a financial planning ELP and has done very well with his recommendations. All at no charge too!

Yeah, we've used some of his ELP's too... you're right about them... I think he tries to screen them well to be sure they are above board and honorable and all of that. The ones we've dealt with have been very good.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

. because as he says-"debt is dumb". .

Not all debt is dumb, bad debt is dumb, good debt is not dumb, I have 300K worth of debt and none of it is dumb :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

because as he says-"debt is dumb". .

Not all debt is dumb, bad debt is dumb, good debt is not dumb, I have 300K worth of debt and none of it is dumb :)

I don't know the details of your debt, but after listening to Dave Ramsey for several years, I believe he would say that it is dumb.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

because as he says-"debt is dumb". .

I don't know the details of your debt, but after listening to Dave Ramsey for several years, I believe he would say that it is dumb.

Squeak is speaking in Australian dollars (I'm assuming) which should be a bit less in US, again I think. Also, I'm also assuming there is a bit of education debt in there as well.

Ramsey doesn't say that education debt is dumb. He does however say that you should pay it off (duh!) but not before you pay off dumb debt, like credit cards.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Ramsey doesn't say that education debt is dumb. He does, however, say that you should pay it off (duh!) but not before you pay off dumb debt, like credit cards.

That's not the message that I've heard him give. He is always telling people not to do something until they can pay for it. If they have debt, for whatever reason, they should get out of it as fast as possible. Mortgage debt being the only exception.

ones? -- Monday.

I'm a big fan too. I've put step 2 on hold till I finish my migration to Denver, then gonna attack it. The small town radio station that had him here doesn't exist anymore, but who cares, I pay the $9 a month to get the commercial free versions.

There are a few things I disagree with that he says, but none of them are financial. Usually they're religious perspectives that I don't buy into. But then I don't have to in order to benefit from his teaching.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

Not completely true. He had a caller two weeks ago (actually I think the show was a rerun from a few months ago) where the womans husband had passed away leaving her with a mountain of debt.

His solution was to go back to school and get a better job to pay off the debt - even if she had to get school loans to do it.

Jen
Arianna Frances

"First Real Skydiver!" BS! I used to talk to him all of the time at the Y. He was one of the "always wanted to do that" people. Real nice guy.. down to earth.. good Christian fella.

the quote was "that was the first skydiver I've ever had on my show." :P

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Not completely true. He had a caller two weeks ago (actually I think the show was a rerun from a few months ago) where the womans husband had passed away leaving her with a mountain of debt.

His solution was to go back to school and get a better job to pay off the debt - even if she had to get school loans to do it.

Jen

Yeah, on very extreme or unique cases he'll go for school debt. But not often. I'm almost glad I didn't listen to him before I went to school, because I wouldn't have gone if I had been listening. And going to school was one of the best things I've done for myself, both personally and from a career perspective.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

Ramsey doesn't say that education debt is dumb. He does, however, say that you should pay it off (duh!) but not before you pay off dumb debt, like credit cards.

That's not the message that I've heard him give. He is always telling people not to do something until they can pay for it. If they have debt, for whatever reason, they should get out of it as fast as possible. Mortgage debt being the only exception.

If that were true, then how could most people get an advanced education? For one, that's not what I've heard him say, and two, if it was, I'd not listen to him for long b/c that's not sound advice. Student loan debt is generally very low interest debt and is tax deductible ,I think. And considering how it has the potential to boost your income, you'd be silly ("dumb" in his lingo) to NOT avail yourself of it!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

If that were true, then how could most people get an advanced education? For one, that's not what I've heard him say, and two, if it was, I'd not listen to him for long b/c that's not sound advice. Student loan debt is generally very low interest debt and is tax deductible ,I think. And considering how it has the potential to boost your income, you'd be silly ("dumb" in his lingo) to NOT avail yourself of it!

You don't listen to him much if you're justifying debt with low or tax deductible interest;)

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

If that were true, then how could most people get an advanced education?

By working your way through. Like I said, that's what I've heard him say. I believe everyone hears a message differently.

Higher education is not necessarily the key to higher income. And a higher income is not the key to happiness.

ones? -- Monday.

good debt is investment debt,
I borrowed 300K to buy 2 properties 4 years ago I owe 260K now, but each property is now worth 280K a piece. if I sold them both now I would have a capital gain of of 250K, that don't sound like bad debt to me. and there is NO way I could save and pay up front for either property Also the moneis that I spend on maintiaing the properties comes off my taxable income, thus lowering the ammount of money I pay tax on. they are negatively geared and they being in an icome that means they cost me $50 per week.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You haven't convinced me that Dave Ramsey would approve of your debt. He went bankrupt overnight with real estate investment debt, so he's very leary of that.

I'm not saying that his advice is "the Gospel" for everyone. I'm just relaying what I've heard him preaching for years.
ones? -- Monday.