packing_jarrett

Which container do you jump

***I don't know about the newest model Racer, but I can speak from volumes of experience building Racer knockoffs (in England in the 80's)

Really, so did I. Where in England?

Jeff

Biggin Hill @ Mac's loft/ Capital City Rigging around 85/ 86. Clive Ure was involved wit it.

Mick.

***Biggin Hill @ Mac's loft/ Capital City Rigging around 85/ 86. Clive Ure was involved wit it.

Mac's loft, I thought so. After he left TSE he moved south and for a short time built a rig called the Tracer. The name was appropriate considering he traced all his patterns that I produced for TSE back then while employed for TSE. I also built his personal rig that later became his showcase advert rig. I can still remember how pissed off Lofty was over that mess. I wonder what he’s doing now.

Jeff

***Biggin Hill @ Mac's loft/ Capital City Rigging around 85/ 86. Clive Ure was involved wit it.

Mac's loft, I thought so. After he left TSE he moved south and for a short time built a rig called the Tracer. The name was appropriate considering he traced all his patterns that I produced for TSE back then while employed for TSE. I also built his personal rig that later became his showcase advert rig. I can still remember how pissed off Lofty was over that mess. I wonder what he’s doing now.

Jeff

Living in New Zealand last I saw of him, divorced father, re-married running a DZ although that was over ten years ago. Who knows now?

Mick.

Racers have not changed much in 20 years. Still rigger un-friendly and basically annoying. Friends don't let friends jump racers.
;)

Not a correct statement about the Jump Shack Racer. Here are some facts.

Teflon cutaway cables: maintenance-free (who really remembers to oil their yellow Lolon cables once a month?)

I guess if you don't want to inspect the red cable for cracked coating, you could maybe consider them maintenance free. Doesn't sound like a good survival method in this sport to consider anything gear related to be maintenance free, IMO.

Extendable, non-compressible cutaway housings to resist compression (and the loop being pulled up into the housing), during a difficult cutaway (caused by un-oiled cables or out-of-tolerance 3-rings or spinning malfunctions that result in excessive loop load as the rings themselves twist and side-load)

Can you explain this statement? What does a compressable/non-compresable housing have to do with if the loop gets pulled into the housing or not?

Speed bag to prevent line dump and parachute failures

Line dump doesn't cause parachute failure, otherwise every square reserve ever deployed would have blown up. BAG STRIP may cause a parachute failure, but the bungee safety stow would have to break for that to happen, and I'm not aware of any bungee failures. Is anyone else?

Ergonomically shaped ripcord handle, which reduces the force necessary to pull

Bullshit. The shape of the handle will not reduce the force required to clear the pins from the closing loops. If any rig has an "ergonomically shaped ripcord handle", it's the Centaurus, but it won't reduce the force required to pull pins.

The most protected ripcord pins in the world (they're against your back).

Agreed

The fastest reserve deployment WITH or WITHOUT rsl. The Skyhook is only as fast as the Racer has always been. The Racer produces 2 second reserve deployments even at low speed without an rsl. The Racer pilot chute has the most drag of any reserve parachute in the industry (tested in NASA wind tunnel).

More BS. In order for the Racer PC to do this, it would have to launch straight up (perpendicular to the way it's mounted in the rig), then somehow manage to create as much drag as a malfunctioned main parachute. As far as "the most drag", when was that test performed? I'm sure there's quite a number of newer PC's on the market since those tests were done.

The Racer's harness is stronger yet lighter because Jump Shack uses better material, (Type 13 for the MLW is 7000 lb tensile strength vs. Type 7 which is 6000 lb tensile strength;

Let's see, one layer of 7000 lb. Ty-13, or 2 layers of 6000 lb. Ty-7 (most popular articulated harness construction), or one layer of 6000 Ty-7 and one layer of 4000lb. Ty-8, or even two layers of 4000 lb. Ty-8..... Seems the racer harness is the weakest of the bunch.

Fewer Reserve flaps open wider and more freely after the reserve ripcord is pulled, resulting in quicker bag extraction from container.

Without going into too much detail about staged openings, and stuff, have you ever looked at a Racer center flap where the boxing stitches (where the side flaps are sewn to the center flap) use 1/4-1/3 of the width of the center flap on each side. That's the most boxing of any rig that I'm familiar with.

And who brought line stows to the center of the bag! Jump Shack again.

Riggers in the field? Most of which don't care for having to change a reserve closing loop on a Racer, or having to hold the rig off the ground while compressing the pilot chute and pulling pull up cords/bodkins through the backpad and pinning the loops. It's awkward no matter how you slice it. Ease is a relative term.

Surely you can do better than quoting a bunch of sales propaganda from a web page.......

Why does this shit always become a go damn pissing match!?>:(

Yeah, we get it, you think they suck and they're hard to pack.

We think they're great and they're easy to pack.

Done!

Now, move the fuck on! I'm getting sick of this bullshit hi-jacking threads!
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Why does this shit always become a go damn pissing match!?>:(

Yeah, we get it, you think they suck and they're hard to pack.

We think they're great and they're easy to pack.

Done!

Now, move the fuck on! I'm getting sick of this bullshit hi-jacking threads!

Untwist your panties, sheesh:S If the other poster hadn't stated thinly veiled marketing jibberish as "facts", I probably wouldn't have posted. People deserve the truth, and if anything I posted was wrong, feel free to correct or educate me.

I actually like packing Racers- they're a break from the norm and I have packed enough of them that I don't struggle. But they DO require more tools, and changing the closing loop takes far more time than it does with any other rig I have experience with.

Sorry for snapping but ya gotta admit it's hard for Racer owners, we have to hear so much crap! It's a real sore spot.
I'm tired of arguing the other side.[:/]
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

6 Racers :-)

Ooooh, I tied you!

oh wait, my tandems don't count do they:(

I'm at 4 racers right now, and probably ordering my 5th soon!

Just curious why so many rigs? Hell, I'm having a hard enough time putting together a second rig. I cant even think about getting a third let alone five.

Oh and for me.
G4 and Talon.

The fastest reserve deployment WITH or WITHOUT rsl. The Skyhook is only as fast as the Racer has always been. The Racer produces 2 second reserve deployments even at low speed without an rsl.

Well, let's see...:

Reserve out of the bag, with Skyhook: 0.5 sec.:
http://www.relativeworkshop.com/images/pdt_skyhook8.jpg

Reserve out of the bag, with Racer: 1.6 sec. (DOES NOT matter that they packed a reserve the way it INFLATES in the remaining 0.5 seconds!). Let's talk about the 'reserve out of the bag' time, NOT total opening time (reserve container does not control the canopy inflation time!):
http://www.jumpshack.com/portal/content.asp?contentid=738
The ABOVE opening would hurt you at best at terminal (same as seen in Racer ad on 'BreakAway' video). One major manufacturer told me that they packed a wet reserve (which opens quicker) and that they had the main front risers locked in a permananty "pulled down" position to have the higher initial airspeed before the cutaway.

Another Racer video:
http://www.jumpshack.com/portal/content.asp?contentid=750 (looks like a more "normal" inflation, but still far away from Skyhook).

More info on Racer claimed "64 feet total reserve deployment distance", from this post down:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1583207#1583207

and these posts:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=Question+about+Racer+rigs&search_type=AND&search_fields=s&search_time=&search_user_username=skydiverek&sb=score&mh=25

Racer 2000 - It was cheap because Racers aren't popular, and the seller was leaving the sport. I'm my own rigger so I have to deal with the hassle of packing it. And I sewed some mods to protect risers and main pin better.

Racer - Because it was my first rig, when Racers weren't out of style and had some of the best pin & bridle protection around. This one is relatively easy to pack since there's no AAD or freebag. (Just a round reserve.)

Northern Lite - Because it was essentially free, an old rig for accuracy.

Vector II - Because they're cheap. Lots made, but not the latest in freeflyable design. A nice spare / casual CRW / Birdman rig.

All in all a lot of hand-me-down stuff, nothing brand new among the lot.

Military-surplus, 4-pin when I was a student
Six-Pack
Eze-Flier
Mirage Lady Astra
'94 Talon
Talon 2
Vector 1.5
Swift 2
Racer

I have never owned a tandem, just have a million jumps on them: Vector 1 (pre-drogue) Vector 2, Galaxy, Racer and Strong Dual Hawk.

Racer fans get so defensive everytime these threads come up. There are those that love them, and then there is everyone else.;)

If given the choice between packing a reserve in a racer or anything else I will always pick anything else. And yes, I do know how.

I know they have made some modifications and "ahem" improvements over the years but the basic design with two pins and the pop-top reserve is much the same as it was back in the 80s.

Peace!

Can you blame us?

Call my motorcycle crap and I'll get pissed.

Call my girlfriend ugly and I'll get pissed.

Call my gear junk(imply you wouldn't let your friends jump one), gee, I wonder how I'll react,especially when I sweated over a sewing machine building it!

How can you be shocked?

Throw in the fact that I get people with 50 jumps who know less than I do about Racers telling me it's crap based on shit that usually not true!

It never ceases to amaze me when someone calls my gear crap and is suprised when I disagree!

Last year in Deland I was talking to a cute Asian girl with just over 100 jumps and she mentioned wanting new gear. I suggested the Racer and told her about the small women I know who like the Racer 2K3 for comfort and feel. She said "but Racer has two pin reserve". That's all she knew.

I told her about my 12 reserve rides and each one was a two pin reserve pull. Two were on a Vector Knock off stitch for stitch. Since then I've had reserve ride #13, had to pull that dreaded two pin again.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Racer fans get so defensive everytime these threads come up. There are those that love them, and then there is everyone else.;)

If given the choice between packing a reserve in a racer or anything else I will always pick anything else. And yes, I do know how.

I know they have made some modifications and "ahem" improvements over the years but the basic design with two pins and the pop-top reserve is much the same as it was back in the 80s.

Peace!

Um, I think you mean the 70's, and it was Dan Poynter who designed and created it not John Sherman or Ted Strong. I have some experience with the concept:ph34r:.

Mick.