Communications

Keep an Eye Out for this Pilot-Chute-in-Tow Malfunction

USPA received two reports of a packing error that led to unusual pilot-chute-in-tow malfunctions, with rumors of additional cases not reported. The malfunction can be easily avoided with proper packing techniques. A description of the problem and packing solutions can be found here: http://www.uspa.org/NewsEvents/News/tabid/59/Default.aspx#10148
www.uspa.org

Read the USPA blog!

Keep an eye out for this one, everyone. Such problems often go in cycles - there will be a common problem that gets a lot of attention (and gets solved) and then a second problem comes along and the first issue is gradually forgotten.

Looks like PC-in-tow due to bridle routing is becoming an issue again, so keep an eye out for it and mention it to packers/jumpers at your DZ to keep it from becoming a bigger problem.

I seem to recall noticing that at least one container manufacturer, I don't remember which one, has eliminated the velcro patch that used to insure slack in the bridle. Also, with many jumpers using after market pilot chutes, they may or may not have the matching velcro patch on the bridle.

This has been an issue from time to time over the years. People get into the habit of making everything neat and tight. This is one place you don't want tight. ;) Usually it was a matter of loading the bridle under the flap before the pin was pulled. That can also cause a PC in tow without the pin piercing the bridle.

I wonder if freeflyers trying to protect the bridle has contributed?

Lets be careful out there.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've personally seen this malfunction twice--I'm not completely sold it's a packing error (not sold it isn't).

One was packed by very experienced packer at a major US dropzone. The other--self packed by fairly experienced jumper at foreign dropzone. Both same type of container. Both identical "pin through the bridle" pilotchute in tows.

It seems to be a "one in a million" freak situation that has happened several times in the last 18 months--and I suspect more than that because people write it off as freakish and don't report it.

manufactures are aware of it.

Be careful out there!

First thanks to USPA for bringing this up!

I wonder if freeflyers trying to protect the bridle has contributed?

There is a good chance of that! I mostly FF and am very good about watching my bridle. Seems maybe a little to good:S. My V3 has the velcro and i use it but i tuck mine very tight at the bottem. Also since my velcro is not as new as it used to be I have been known to tuck the top under the right flap more past the velcro. I know better know and will change that up.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I've personally seen this malfunction twice--I'm not completely sold it's a packing error (not sold it isn't).

I question some things about this myself. It would seem to me that it would take a great deal of force to get the end of a pin to puncture a bridle. (The inertia created by the speed of this event could possibly explain that.)

I think the bridle would have to be very taut between the pin and the bag for this to happen.

1. Anyone disagree?
2. Should we be looking for ways that this can happen?

2. Should we be looking for ways that this can happen?

It seems very unlikely if the bridle is on top of the pin. The PC will pull the bridle away from the pin, and drag it out of the closing loop.

If the bridle was under the pin, instead of slipping out off to the side, the bridle could pull up square with the pin so the PC is now pulling the bridle against the pin.

Normally that would just push the pin out of the closing loop, or at least in that direction. However, if you combine that scenario with a short bridle above the pin, maybe the tension above the pin holds it in place, and the PC forces the pin through the bridle.

It does seem like an odd situation. The tip of the pin isn't very sharp, and the tape they make bridles out of is pretty stout and tightly woven.

I'm going to 'modify' my thought a little.

If the bridle is under the pin, and it does get pulled square with the pin, I don't think it would have a tendency to push the pin out of the closing loop as tension on the bridle itself would prevent the pin from 'backing out' of the closing loop. The pin would need to rotate (as the curved pin is designed to do) and be dragged out of the closing loop.

I would seem that the pin would also have to be pointing downward as well, which of course is the opposite of the correct method where the pin points up (even if the bridle has slack above the pin, and is not tucked under the pin, the pin should still point upwards - a PSA for the kids).

I'm not saying that a short bridle above the pin is not related, or not a bad thing. It may be related in some way, and is 100% a bad idea, regardless of the orientation of the bridle and pin. You must have that slack above the pin.

The more I think about it, I seem to recall seeing a bridle tucked under a pin so as to make the pin check easier.

OK, we also need info about what type of bridle material was used. Another rigger just showed me some one inch wide material that he says he has seen used for bridle, but I don't know the number. It is not Type 4 square weave.) It was very easy to poke a curved pin through it. It would not be the type used for a collapsible pilot chute, so do we know if these were collapsible or not?

OK, we also need info about what type of bridle material was used. Another rigger just showed me some one inch wide material that he says he has seen used for bridle, but I don't know the number. It is not Type 4 square weave.) It was very easy to poke a curved pin through it. It would not be the type used for a collapsible pilot chute, so do we know if these were collapsible or not?

Most of the bridles I see are made from 2 layers of what appears to be Type 3 binding tape. It is pretty easy to push a pin through it.

But I have another concern about the way that the pins are attached to the bridle.

Usually I see a piece of Type 3 tape folded over, put through the hole in the pin, and sewn to one side of the bridle "tube".

If this tape is not secured adequately close to the pin, the pin can move to and fro instead of just being able to pivot about the point where it is mounted.

If that's not too clear, let me try to explain another way.

If you secured the pin to the bridle with a bunch of loops of Super Tack cord, then the pin would only be able to pivot at the place where it is attached. It could not be slid along the length of the bridle.

If you try to push the pin through the bridle, you must be able to pull the pin back enough so that it will stick through the bridle after you pierce it.

If the pin could only pivot, you couldn't pull it back far enough to push it through is a place where it would actually stay.

So I wonder if the bridles are constructed without enough attention to the way the pin is attached. If that is too "floppy", and you combine it with bad bridle routing, then you can put the pin through the bridle.

So, in addition to poor bridle routing, I wonder if we are seeing a problem in the construction of the pin attachment to the bridle as well.

Wait a minute . . .

If the underlying problem is not having enough slack between the pin and where the bridle tucks under the first flap then HELLO! That's not a new thing. It's been that way since Booth designed the first throw out pilot chute in the early 1970s.

Who's failing who here?

Whenever you teach someone to pack, if you don't say look, "Here's how easy it is to lock this up," by actually demonstrating it, than send me your Instructor rating and I'll burn it for you . . .

NickD :)

> if you don't say look, "Here's how easy it is to lock this up," by actually
>demonstrating it, than send me your Instructor rating and I'll burn it for you . . .

When I do that I tend to concentrate on the other big error, which is bridle routing (i.e. from bottom to top, then under the rightside flap back to the PC.) It's hard to do, but it seems to happen with some regularity, and it almost guarantees a PC in tow. But I also mention that there's a reason for that little velcro patch.

I don't think my rig has a little velcro patch, but I could be wrong. My first rig did, which "programmed" me to always leave that amount of slack, so I still measure it out now as if there was velcro there.

I know. I mentioned it in Trunk's posts in FB. Quite a few rigs dont have those anymore. I know my Wings doesnt.

Its usually not abig deal for us old farts who have been around when all rigs had them (or at least, all the rigs I remember seeing back then, way back in the early 90s lol), but for new jumpers who havent grown up with rigs that have that build-in reminder, its easier to not notice.
Remster

Whenever you teach someone to pack, if you don't say look, "Here's how easy it is to lock this up," by actually demonstrating it, than send me your Instructor rating and I'll burn it for you . . .

Not an instructor, but I just tried to reproduce this "lockup" on the ground for my own curiosity, and I couldn't seem to. No matter how tightly I tucked it all, the pin still pulled out no problem. Maybe I'm missing something.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

>but I just tried to reproduce this "lockup" on the ground for my own
>curiosity, and I couldn't seem to.

It's difficult to do on most rigs. The main has to be very tight and you have to be careful routing the bridle. But it's (unfortunately) doable.

According to what I could see of photo 1, it appeared that the closing loop was way too long, as well. For the closing loop to be proper length, the grommets should stack or, at least close to it.

Another issue I see pretty regularly is 2-3 FEET of lines being put in the bottom of the container. NONE of the manufacturers encourage this procedure. And, when you say something to the individuals who are making this a practice (and teaching new jumpers to do it), the response is usually something on the line of "I've been doing this for XXXX number of jumps and so far it's not been a problem". Yeah, you may get away with certain things for a while but when it gets hairy, it's going to get hairy in a real bad way. I'm sure they would change things if they had their reserve container ripped off their back or one of their friends had it happen, but until they see it, they will do as they please.

As a result of the one post made about long hair and the entanglement recently, I've made changes as to how I keep my hair under control...learning from someone else's mistake and not wanting the same thing to happen to myself.

Bill's right. Most rigs incorrectly closed will still work. Basically though, if you pull up on the bridle, and the pin begins sliding out of the closing loop, and the downstream part of the bridle (where it tucks into the rig) is moving too, it is wrong.

NickD :)

According to what I could see of photo 1, it appeared that the closing loop was way too long, as well. For the closing loop to be proper length, the grommets should stack or, at least close to it.

That is incorrect. This is the manufacturer's recommendation for loop length and grommet "line-up" for this brand of container. RT(F)M. For the infinity:

"The closing loop is the proper length when the first three grommets are stacked, and the edges of the side flaps just touch, but don't over lap."

As far as being unable to reproduce this type of mal, I believe some of the PC pin attachment points are sometimes made differently by some manufacturers. Having more or less "slack" in between the bridle itself and the end of the pin (controlled by the length of the material attaching the pin to the bridle) could make this easier or harder to happen.
Remster